Pack additions

Nalgene and hip belt pocket on the k4. I run it without the lid as well.
How do you run your rifle? I have the K4 aswell and cannot find a good setup. I used the slik sling all this past season and it works great until the pack is fully loaded and it makes the scope swing away from the pack. Have been looking at the exo rifle carrier but have seen mixed reviews.

I have almost all the Stone Glacier pack accessories they offer which totals around 19 ozs so there is a price to pay in weight, however, I like everything organized. I don't have the time to customize myself so I buy what is available. The Stone Glacier Access Bag (900 cu in) is my favorite because I put my kill kit, first aid kit and stove in it. I use two hip pouches, large and small but may dump one this year as they aren't full. I'm still learning and changing as I go though. Interesting to read what others use/don't use and why.

How do you run your rifle? I have the K4 aswell and cannot find a good setup. I used the slik sling all this past season and it works great until the pack is fully loaded and it makes the scope swing away from the pack. Have been looking at the exo rifle carrier but have seen mixed reviews.
I slide the butt into the side stretch pocket and strap it down that way if I’m covering ground. Other than that I just hold onto it. I haven’t seen a rifle carrier that I like yet.

I don't have anything extra on my k3 4800
no Lid-too much weight for the room it provides and don't need
no hip belts pockets- less to hang up when pushing through brush
don't need a bow or gun hanger, the few times I put on pack I just use the existing straps

I have considered the zpack top side pocket to separate some of the loose gear that piles up in my stretchy poket like beanie, headlight, etc.

All of my packs (even day packs) have a pocket on each side of my hip belt- for hunting the right hand side typically holds my range finder (w/ a tether) and spare ammo; left holds a couple of snack bars, tp, sunscreen

I like to have a small Nalgene (16 oz) on my shoulder strap- using a MLD stretch water pocket—light, holds the 16 (or 20) oz bottle securely and easy to access

For my rifle, a SG rifle sling

For my rifle, a SG rifle sling
I also use the SG rifle sling but I seem to have trouble with it flopping around at times. Sometimes I get it just right and tight but other times the barrel slides down to far to be secured by the quick release strap. Have you noticed that issue?

To be honest I'm running mine different than most—SG gave me another quick release strap (like the one at the top) that I use coming off of my shoulder strap. This puts the rifle slightly muzzle up and pointing forward. It carries fine there and is much quicker to deploy.

If I'm packing something out (unless it's grizzly country) I lash mine securely using the side straps.

Qsh94vS.jpg

Thanks mtwarden, that's an interesting addition to help you carry it closely and deploy it faster. If I'm hunting, I have it in my hands but it's the hike in/out that I need to work on better. Maybe I'll come up with something like what you have.

To be honest I'm running mine different than most—SG gave me another quick release strap (like the one at the top) that I use coming off of my shoulder strap. This puts the rifle slightly muzzle up and pointing forward. It carries fine there and is much quicker to deploy.

If I'm packing something out (unless it's grizzly country) I lash mine securely using the side straps.

Qsh94vS.jpg
Do you have a closer photo of the strap and how you have it attached. I’ve been messing around with a combination of Kifaru, SG, and Exo parts, plus some extra buckles trying to perfect the forward carry of the rifle on my packs (SG Terminus and Exo K4).

I don’t have it quite perfect yet on either pack.

I've taken it off the pack (for a snowshoeing trip) but it's the exact quick release that SG uses and I simply ran through one of the daisy chains on the shoulder straps (I think almost all pack manufacturers have a strip of sewn webbing running down the strap—with it stitched in a few places). I did cut it down as it doesn't have to be very long in that position. It still releases with a little forward pressure.

It doesn't have to be a SG one, I've since seen them online, but can't remember what they call them.

Depending on how your shoulder strap is setup, you should be able to play with how high you want the strap (and your rifle muzzle).

If I didn't make it clear above- I use SG's bottom webbing for the butt of the rifle.

Back