Packing from one unit to another

Teaman1

WKR
Looking to go to Colorado this year. Wondering if anybody crosses part of a unit to get to the backside of another. Is this legal? Can you pack out an animal across a part of a unit you don’t have a tag for?

It’s legal. Have your ducks in a row regarding where you parked vs where you’re hunting and the gmu boundary just in case you’re questioned by a warden.

Might be a good idea to make contact with eh Warden now and let him know your intent and where you will be..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Might be a good idea to make contact with eh Warden now and let him know your intent and where you will be..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Like the Warden is going to have time to talk to you or even remember you? Even if you did call a warden it doesn't mean anything, it's not like your going to run into the warden and say hey remember my phone call about crossing units and he is going to just let you pass without a couple questions to confirm your story.

Nothing wrong with crossing GMU's with game, if there was it would be awful hard to get back home. Just to cover yourself GPS mark your kill site in case you get one of them real wonderful wardens that treats you like your guilty until you prove your innocents so you can find the site again if you have to.

Ya. I was planning on using the gps for help haha. I just didn’t want to come out empty handed and get questioned about trying to hunt the portion of the unit I crossed. I would also be parked in the unit I won’t have a tag for

I had a warden suggest doing this to access a part of the unit I was wanting to check out, he did tell me that it would be best to remove the bolt from my gun or put a lock on it while crossing the other area, to be safe. He also suggested marking the area of the kill site on my gps if I was successful.

I heard the GW is going to crack down in 76 if thats where you are thinking. Lots of guys doing that....some questionable.

As long as you kill the bull off the unit...and can prove it....you won't be going to jail.

Can’t imagine how hard it would be to get home. “Hey just wanted to see if it’s ok if I kill a bull in unit 1, but then I have to cross 2, 3, and 4 via the interstate to get home. I’m also going to call the next state over and let them know I killed in unit 1 here, because I am actually going back to that state.”

Just mark the kill site on gps and go!

Will do on the gps. Just thought it’s would seem awkward to show up at a trailhead with your camp and last part of the kill, but your tag is for a different (nearby) unit

Back