Paintball gun as bear deterrent

grainhog

FNG
We experience high levels of black bear activity at our house from spring through fall. We're very disciplined about attractants, but unfortunately the same can't be said for many of our neighbors. One genius feeds them I think.

An industrious young bear was recently euthanized after breaking into 12 cars in the area, locking himself into one of them and completely gutting it before the neighbor managed to open the door from a distance.

At any rate a representative from the state recommended a paintball gun as a deterrent, rather than bear spray, shotgun bean bags, etc. I would never use lethal force unless a bear showed outward aggression to dogs or people. Anyone ever try this?

The first step has to be - Educating your neighbors to remove things that attract him.

After that, you can work on scaring him away.

Seen more than one mature boar go for a leisurely walk with a pack of hounds literally nipping at their butts to know that a paintball is not likely to be an effective long term deterrent especially with a mature bear.

But if you go this route, consider something like this:
M249_Paintball_Machine_Gun_BPE3_1024x1024.jpg

If you mean pepper paint balls, then they are effective on non-adrenaline bears. Military bases and governments use them as bear deterrents.
On our drives thru Canada we would see pink marked bears.
When I killed a bear on base in Alaska, we were being hassled by three bears while I was cleaning my bear. The CLEO that came out to help chase them off brought his paintball rifle (my husband’s warning shots from his shotgun were not deterring the bears and we were not allowed to carry rifles or pistols).

Last edited:

bhw2d

FNG
I’ve never used a paintball gun but bear spray works great. I keep a can by every door. The bears around my house would let you walk right up to them when I moved in. I harass every bear that comes by in the daytime. Mostly I throw rocks but sometimes the hounds are loose and they do the persuading. The bears seem to give our place a wider berth after 4 years of warfare. I still see 20-30 every summer in the neighborhood but they don’t bother us much anymore.

t_carlson

WKR
I bet it would work to an extent. Might not deter a really determined one, though.

#7.5's are tried and true...

Frozen paintballs might be an okay solution if you shoot them in the face. I have friends that deal with bears all the time and use less than lethal rounds and spray on bears. Show no mercy or they will just be back the next night.

Pepper balls are an ok option until you chop one in the bolt. Tippmamm is the ak47 of the paintball world but if you want to sling paint I'd recommend a marker with a high rate of fire, with an electric hopper and high pressure air tank. My recommendation would be an empire mini gs, they are available on Amazon.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Google spud gun. A little redneck, but lots of people use them in the Wisconsin northwoods at thier cabins- and thier fun to shoot😀