Painting a Canoe

SonnyDay

WKR
I have a bright red plastic (ABS) canoe and would like to paint it a color that blends in a bit better with the natural surroundings (like... say... green!).

Looking for recommendations on what type/brand of paint to use so the paint doesn't chip, crack, peel, etc. Also interested in techniques to help the paint last (e.g. sanding, primer, etc.).

I guess I am also open to what products and processes NOT to use if anyone has horror stories... :LOL:

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Shraggs

WKR
Possibly restoleum 2x ultra has worked on plastics and polymers. At a minimum I would use 600 wet dry sand paper to rough it up in bottom test area. If it dorxx do not bond there active sprays to alter the surface to accept the he paint. I don’t recall the name tho.

I did one twice.

Cleaned it and roughed it up with 200 grit.

I used aerveo paints the first time. A bit $$$ but they have worked well on other outdoor projects and some guns. Two coast and then a few camo patterns to break it up. Let the paint cure a week and then I used two coats of matte clear to seal it. It looked awesome…until I used it.

It got beat up and scratched up and the original plastic showed through here or there.

I touch it up with some camo colored rustoleom from Wally World now and then and don’t worry about it anymore.

I wouldn’t discourage you from making a project out of it and having some fun, but if you use it like I use mine - in and out of truck bed, drag to the water, grounding, portage, drag out of water, rinse, repeat - it will get banged up regardless.

TSAMP

WKR
There are a couple rattle can paints made for polymers, krylon comes to mind. I painted a hottub and it turned out good. As said above though. With use I'd plan on touch ups.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Sounds like the consensus is to sand it first, maybe try to find a primer or bonding agent pade for plastics, don't get too hung up on paint brand, and be prepared to touch it up with use (It's too bad the dang thing is red... any chips are going to stand out big-time!).

Looking to get after it in the next few weeks so I'll let you gents know how it goes.

Thanks!

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
What about a vinyl wrap? ABS is a tough one to paint.
I thought about that. I was hoping to get a more durable finish with paint... but maybe that's a pipe dream. I'll look into it a little deeper. Thanks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll need head to a local place that sells paint for cars. You"ll need to apply a quality plastic primer then you can paint with the compatible paint. Plastics can be challenging to get good adhesion to especially if they can flex.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
You'll need head to a local place that sells paint for cars. You"ll need to apply a quality plastic primer then you can paint with the compatible paint. Plastics can be challenging to get good adhesion to especially if they can flex.
Thanks! Will check that out as well.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
Hit my red canoe with the orbital sander and heavy grit paper then went to town with flat tan, brown and black.

Looking for pix now.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Would love to see pics.

But yeah, that sounds like the plan.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
As realunlucky said above, talk to an automotive paint supply store. They will be able to set you up with the correct primer and paint. There is also an additive to help keep the paint from pealing off due to the flex in plastic bumper covers that they can set you up with. They also should be able to put the color of your choice in rattle cans for you, mixed up and ready to go.

Backyard

WKR
If it were mine, I would use a marine gel coat. Tougher and longer lasting than rattle can or marine paint and actually designed for hulls. About $40/gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the canoe and my boat engine that i painted. The canoe was ruffed up with the orbital sander and 150 grit. Then i wiped it down with acetone. I painted both the boat and the outboard with a base of tan color then I grabbed a handful of brush or grass held it against each item and lightly painted over the brush with brown paint.
(LESS IS MORE) very simple and IMO looks better than a stencil.
I used the rustoleum camo colored paints, nothing special. Both these things have held up very well for over 4 years. Best thing is if you need to do any touch up just hit the area again.
The outside of the canoe was a bright red. The inside of the canoe was tan in color so it made it a little bit easier.
Whatever you do, don't overthink it and remember LESS IS MORE!

Attachments

• IMG_6148.jpeg
    IMG_6148.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 63010316666__BF153689-B6FF-4E38-9B91-6F0A1DE3696D.jpeg
    63010316666__BF153689-B6FF-4E38-9B91-6F0A1DE3696D.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Thanks for sharing! Looks great. And thanks all for the various suggestions on paint types.