Pakistan - Himalayan Ibex and Blandford Urial - 2024

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Everyone,

Im finally back stateside and heres a recap of the trip.

Flew into Islamabad from Houston, was met by Shikar rep and met my guide. He spoke great english and would be with me 24/7 during the trip, this was actually really cool since I was traveling by myself. We didnt waste any time and soon we were headed over to the domestic departures gate and boarding a flight to Skardu. 45 minutes later we were met by our driver in Skardu and started working our way to Hushe, a small village in the Karakorum Range, this small village sits roughly at 10,000 feet in elevation and serves as a starting point for many mountaineering expeditions. Masherbrum or K1 was the backdrop of this small village.

On the drive to Hushe, I got to see the Himalayan mountains contrasted against the Karakorum range - easily distinguished by its more jagged/sharp peaks, unlike the Himalayan which are "smoother" at the tops. Either way, huge mountains and quite intimidating. Shortly before we ran out of daylight we pulled over and checked my guns zero, it was sighted in at sea level so a small adjustment was made and we continued on our way.

The next morning we were radioed that the scouts had spotted a nice ibex, definitely one looking into, so off we went, an hour or so later of a fairly flat hike we had him in the spotting scope. Handsome billy, with a really dark coat, lonely up on the side of a mountain, but now way of closing the distance, we set up despite the steep angle and waited for him to turn, I dialed it and unfortunately missed way high, bad rest I thought, as did everyone else. Off we went, we glassed a few more different spots and then came across another band of billies. A nice group of 5 with one or two breaking the 40" mark, it was late in the day so we just videoed them and headed back to camp.

Its around this time that I started feeling nauseous, and ultimately had to throw up, but immediately felt better afterwards, and much credit to my guide "no headache, no problem" this guy was so positive! Everyone made sure I was alright and as soon as I got back to camp I popped some meds and went to bed, woke up feeling more energized but was very reserved in what I fed my body.

We went up to a second valley opposite of where we had hunted the day before and the scouts again spotted a group of ewes and billies, with a really exceptional ram in the group. We made a plan and off we went, two local guides, my guide and myself. We packed light and moved swiftly. A few hours later we were north of 13,000 feet and hiding behind some rocks figuring out where to set up to have the best rest and most comfortable shooting position. The big billy was 610 yards at a fairly steep uphill angle. I ranged him, dialed, and waited for a broadside shot. Missed high again, twice.

Due to a lack of snow the ibex were significantly higher than they otherwise would be, this made getting close so much more difficult. Needless to say, I had practiced at these distances before and trusted my equipment, however, after a few misses, my confidence was shot. This is where I really credit my guide, as we made our way down the mountain, really feeling like I had let everyone down after our beautiful climb/stalk, he insisted on checking the rifle, "misses happen, its hunting, lets just make sure its not the rifle." We confirmed at 200 and then he insisted we check at 500 since it was evident most shots would not be closer than that. Bullseye. Not the rifle's problem. My confidence was up slightly.

We woke up the next morning and everyone had asked if I had felt the earthquake, I had, luckily only some rocks came off the mountains and the villagers were all safe. We spot some ibex close to the village, a lone billy, in the high 30's and not very old. I discuss with the wildlife ranger and my guide, we decide to keep looking for an older specimen. We spotted the group from two days before, they are relatively close to the same place we saw them before, this time the wind is a good and we decide this group is the one we need to go after since there are a few good options. We start moving up the valley. We reached a point were we would be exposed and perhaps spook the ewes, so we decide to hide ourselves underneath our local guides shawl, it works! We get into position and set up the rifle, I range the big billy, 595 yards. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my guide kneeling with palms open, in prayer. Im praying too, except Im behind the rifle. The billy was bedded, we wait him out. A few minutes later, everyone is getting ready for me to shoot. I break the silence with my gunshot, I see the impact slightly above the billy, I chamber a second round and hold a little lower and squeeze the trigger. Hes hurting and running the opposite direction of the herd, this is a good sign, except hes also gaining elevation.

We get confirmation through the radio that the billy is spotted and is hurting. We move up the valley quickly. A few hours later, we're able to put a second and final round into him. He fell. Literally, 2500 feet down into the valley we were coming up from. Thankfully, he doesnt break his horns but his face and body are pretty messed up.

We build a fire while the local guides work their way towards the ibex to retrieve him. Mountain side fires boost moral, and put everyone in good spirits. We get confirmation from the local guides that the horns are intact! We take pictures after the ibex is retrieved and we head back to camp for a celebration. The villagers are happy we got one, and they get a share of the meat. This was the first successful ibex hunt of the entire 2023-2024 season, 5 hunters before me had unfortunately not been able to connect with their billies.

We found out later that my rangefinding binoculars were shooting straight line distance and not horizontal equivalent. Sometimes thats the way it goes. I slept really well after we got off the mountain.

We then made our way back to Skardu to overnight then head to Islamabad and Karachi....

Attachments

• IMG_0559.PNG
    IMG_0559.PNG
    555.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0560.PNG
    IMG_0560.PNG
    645.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0561.PNG
    IMG_0561.PNG
    990.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0562.PNG
    IMG_0562.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0564.PNG
    IMG_0564.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0565.PNG
    IMG_0565.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0566.PNG
    IMG_0566.PNG
    846.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0567.PNG
    IMG_0567.PNG
    995.4 KB · Views: 171
OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
We arrive in Karachi and immediately start our drive to Balochistan. 4 hours later we've arrived at camp, a blue compound with nice rooms and air conditioning. We get word that a scout spotted a nice urial so we change quickly and head out for the last couple hours of daylight. No dice, but we do get a good idea of the lay of the land.

The next morning were dropped off at a point with three local guides and start wandering through the desert. We glassed up a small and medium urial at a distance, but nothing worth trying to get close to. We keep walking, theres a heavy marine layer that limits visibility and by mid morning a sandstorm is approaching, we seek cover in a washout and wait it out. A few hours later and were roaming around what seemed like the Dune movie set. We move up some mountains to get a good vantage point and glass but we end up not really seeing any game. We walked 12 miles, before we're picked up and head back to camp.

We wake the next morning and its quite humid, were dropped off at a different point and start making our way through some washouts or "arroyos" a few hours later were rounding a corner and spot a bedded ram, the local guide crouches down and I pull out my binos and am able to see his right horn, "good ram" I tell my guide. We move back a few hundred yards and then climb up a side of a hill to get a better look at him. While were there my guide asks if I want to shoot him from where we are, "440 yards, sir" No, lets get closer, we have a good wind. We retrace our steps and find ourselves going up a steep rocky hill, as we crest, we see the ram, feeding, and hes only 150 yards away! I make a rest and get positioned, the ram turned and I pick my spot and squeeze the trigger. I see him buck through the scope, hes hit hard! We all see him drop and start making our way down to him. As I put my hands on him I realize hes much larger than what I thought. He has a great beard too. We all high-five and hug, were all excited.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.PNG
    IMG_0570.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0569.PNG
    IMG_0569.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0568.PNG
    IMG_0568.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_A31F2EC7C964-1.jpeg
    IMG_A31F2EC7C964-1.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 125

the hack

WKR
Great synopsis! We need more photos! When I lived in South Asia across the border in India I loved the joy in the community when food was brought in--I am glad you got to experience what you did.

Suera

FNG
Congrats!!! Everything well explained. You were lucky, like you said this season the hunt was very difficult due to the absence of snow and animals were more high than usual, I know many hunters that were unsuccessful .At the end mountain hunting is lucky and perseverance and of course make the work before and be ready for long distance shoots, you made everything well and you were recompensed.
Karakorum and Himalayan mountains are just amazing my favorite mountains on the world with difference, I hope you enjoyed also the kindly people and culture. Your Himalayan ibex is very nice👍👍👍👍
Blandford urial pretty awesome, next time you have to go for Sindh Ibex the hunt is more enjoyable than urial.
Thank for show the people that Pakistan is an amazing country.