Physical size of Stone Glacier bags

FNG
Hey guys - I've asked one or two folks this question already but I'd like to get more opinions :) I currently have an Exo 3500 and I think I'm going to make the switch to either the SG Solo or 5900. I don't necessarily want a larger footprint bag (wider, taller, etc) than the Exo and I understand the 5900 can compress down quite a bit.

So here's my question. If you were to take a tape measure to both of these bags are they about the same size with the 5900 in bivy mode? Or, is there actually a noticeable size difference which would make sense to stick with the Solo? I primarily day hunt with the occasional 1-2 night camps, nothing too intense.

Thanks !

*zap*

WKR
I have a SG 6200 and it compresses to nothing. Not much weight difference so why not have extra space?

Kotaman

WKR
To answer your question, they are about the same size with the 5900 in bivy mode. I'd go 5900 all the way. In bivy mode, it feels/seems like a small daypack.

OP

FNG
Makes sense and that's sort of the way I'm leaning now. I just want to make sure I'm not make the plunge to a new bag that is way bigger than what I currently have. Thanks.

Not sure if it helps you decision, but the 5900 in bivy mode and no lid is 3800 ci.

I'm running an avail as a daypack, but the 5900 will be my everything else bag.

OP

FNG
Not sure if it helps you decision, but the 5900 in bivy mode and no lid is 3800 ci.

I'm running an avail as a daypack, but the 5900 will be my everything else bag.

Yeah, I have the avail and like it a lot but it's a bit small for the really cold days (in my opinion) and short overnight trips. I'm also always afraid to take it out without a frame on the chance that I bag something... although it never seems to work out that way lol

Didn't know the ci for the 5900 bivy so that helps put it into perspective. Thanks

Raidertx

FNG
Just got back from a trip with my 5900. My brother has an EXO with the 2200 bag on his frame. This was the first trip seeing them side by side, and compressed down, the 5900 and EXO had very similar footprints with the 5900 compressed. I don't think you'll regret the 5900 at all, the versatility of it is pretty awesome. Don't get me wrong, the EXO is a great pack that did very well, but I was glad I chose the SG 5900.

Reactions: 330

md126

WKR
If you like the K2 frame i would just upgrade to the Exo 5500 bag. Tons of space and compresses cleaner than a SG in my opinion.

If you are looking to change systems altogether than I'd go with the SG 5900 over the Solo.

OP

FNG
If you like the K2 frame i would just upgrade to the Exo 5500 bag. Tons of space and compresses cleaner than a SG in my opinion.

If you are looking to change systems altogether than I'd go with the SG 5900 over the Solo.

Why do you say it compresses cleaner?

md126

WKR
I've had both but to be fair, the SG was the Sky 6900. The SG was a lot more "strappy" and had more loose material compressed and the Exo lid seems to fit the pack better when compressed.

OP

FNG
I've had both but to be fair, the SG was the Sky 6900. The SG was a lot more "strappy" and had more loose material compressed and the Exo lid seems to fit the pack better when compressed.

Hm, interesting. Happen to have any pics? Strappy just sounds annoying lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

md126

WKR
I’ll try and get some pics but Steve Speck does an excellent video on YouTube where he compressed the 5500 for day hunts. Better example than what I can describe