Pics of animals you weren't hunting

Sunkmanitou

Lil-Rokslider
Story behind this one?

Well, this happened near Rt 16 On the way from Hinton to Jasper in July 2022. We saw the grizzly walking about 300 yards from the road and when I stopped the car I noticed two coyotes following the grizzly about 50 yards behind it. The grizzly stopped at a small depression and started digging, the coyotes got agitated and one of them ran up behind the bear and nipped at him from the back. The grizzly turned around and swiped at the coyote. The coyote was down for a moment and I thought that was probably the end of the coyote, but he sprang back up and ran away. The grizzly looked at the coyote for a minute and walked away.
I assume the grizzly probably was digging a den where the coyotes had pups and the coyote was trying to protect the pups. I never thought a coyote would be brave enough to attach a grizzly until I saw this.
I have the images in sequence and will post it here soon, in a few minutes. It was far and I was shooting with no support, the pictures are heavily cropped so not that great.

Sunkmanitou

Lil-Rokslider
#4 Grizzly starting to make a swipe at the coyote, raising the left paw._44A8364-grizzlycoyote-4 copy.jpg

Last edited:

tuffcity

WKR
yJ2YA45.jpg

A3YPi2C.jpg

eIrELVt.jpg

tuffcity

WKR
Hunting or not, I’m not really digging on the posture of that bear…just sayin’.
lol Not as nefarious as it looks. I caught him as he was eating dandelions and he just happened to look up with his mouth open. He actually didn't give a rodents rear that I was there and went back to grazing.