Pigs in Cleveland National Forest

cjdewese

WKR
Hey Guys, a good buddy of mine wants to go pig hunting in Sourhern California. Everything I am reading is saying they tried to get rid of them but they may have left a few.

Does anyone know if there are any populations in there anymore.

When reading it says they have been seen in both the palomar and descanso ranger districts but wondering if anyone has any 1st person experience with them.

Thanks.

JFK

WKR
Everything I’ve heard about pigs down that way leads me to suggest you’d be better off looking elsewhere. Not to say there aren’t any. But pigs on public in Ca is a hard hunt, even when they are present in large numbers.

My limited understanding is that the main problem with pig hunting on public land in California is that hunting pressure can cause them to become fully nocturnal, and California doesn’t allow hunting at night.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Yeah I've read a lot about it and feel the same way. My buddies wife was asking me how feasible it was or would be. I hiked through an area today and didn't see any sign whatsoever.

I feel like its an uphill battle either way, was just curious if anyone had done it successfully recently in Southern California.

TheGDog

WKR
I've heard near Julian, and also the Santa Ana River Valley, such as in Corona and Yorba Linda areas. But you and I can't hunt their. No, no... they have to pay professional culling services to do it. Pssh.

The only thing I can figure is they don't want the liability of allowing john doe hunting public person whom they don't know if the person is good about remembering about what is your backdrop before pulling the trigger, to be in there. But in response to that I'd argue, well... what about allowing archery take only or something?

In the mid-2000s I hunted Cleveland National Forest for pigs and they were there if you knew where to go. We started just making the trip up to Vandenberg AFB and further north to Hunter Liggett if we really wanted to get a few.

This should answer some of your questions and narrow down your search for a place to start looking.

Looks like a pretty small amount of pigs are killed south of Ventura County.
Wow, thank you for posting that link. I was amazed, San Diego county wasn’t even listed, I guess that means zero pigs reported taken there, and less than than 10% of pigs taken statewide were on private land.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
In the mid-2000s I hunted Cleveland National Forest for pigs and they were there if you knew where to go. We started just making the trip up to Vandenberg AFB and further north to Hunter Liggett if we really wanted to get a few.
We hiked through a pretty big chunk of Cleveland near Julian and didn't see any sign over the weekend. I have a few other areas I need to check out but probably better going up north. Seems like they have been very few and far between since they did the culling down in SD in 2016.