Pilfer the Pocketbook and Eat your cake Non-Resident Solution

blackdawg

WKR
Wouldn’t it make sense to just split the tags available into shorter seasons and let the suckers only have a couple weeks rather than a couple months to hunt. Seems that the guys in bordering states are camping out for long periods of time which is chafing the arse of locals, I get it, the hate for “Greenies” pilfering the trout streams was real when I was a 307’er. The majority of guys from “Back East” only do a 1 week hunt usually. Many of the New Mexico and Colorado seasons are short and sweet, seems like the states provide opportunities and get plenty of revenue to bake cakes with? Someone school me why this wouldn’t help “spread” the pressure around. Of course without mandatory big game check-in and harvest reports for individual units this might be tricky. Technology has put many of us in the same spots, spreading us out during different time frames seems to be a legit way to deal with this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t it make sense to just split the tags available into shorter seasons and let the suckers only have a couple weeks rather than a couple months to hunt. Seems that the guys in bordering states are camping out for long periods of time which is chafing the arse of locals, I get it, the hate for “Greenies” pilfering the trout streams was real when I was a 307’er. The majority of guys from “Back East” only do a 1 week hunt usually. Many of the New Mexico and Colorado seasons are short and sweet, seems like the states provide opportunities and get plenty of revenue to bake cakes with? Someone school me why this wouldn’t help “spread” the pressure around. Of course without mandatory big game check-in and harvest reports for individual units this might be tricky. Technology has put many of us in the same spots, spreading us out during different time frames seems to be a legit way to deal with this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've often thought this solution was "the" solution to the ever increasing pressure.

Problem is, in some states the resident pressure is as bad if not worse than non-residents... in those cases you'd have to get the residents to sign off on the decreased seasons. Good luck on that.

Maybe the alternative is offering residents both archery tag dates and rifle tag dates. Make non-residents choose which season/week they plan to hunt. Cap non-resident season tags so you don't have 20k guys piling into one week because its "the best". Resident tags don't get capped.

Still gonna have trouble getting residents to sign off, but it would decrease pressure.

Rich M

WKR
I get limited entry tags local that are 3 days for ml or rifle and 5 days for bow.

Went to CO and had a 10 or 12 day season. Very nice!

Cutting folks to 10 day seasons coukd spread the love around a bit. No more folks hunting a full 30 day season.

No issues from here.

No problems from me. If I cant kill what I want to kill in 7-10 days hunting out of state then I'm ready to go home at that point anyhow.

The real issue with this is what do you do when you add more tags and everyone hits it over the fence that year....

I'm sure they could devise a formula based on past kill statistics and days hunted to make it work but the problem is most states dont have any idea of how many animals are actually killed because their harvest reporting system (or lack there of) sucks balls.

I have been saying for years about getting WY to split the General tag into General Rifle and General Archery....make people choose and expand opportunity. I hope this happens one day.

Getting resident buy in for this would be next to impossible for any state though.

The real issue with this is what do you do when you add more tags and everyone hits it over the fence that year....
I wouldn't advocate adding more tags.

Say hypothetical state normally has 4 weeks archery and 2 weeks rifle.
Hypothetical state gives out 14k elk tags to NRs.
Hypothetical state decides to split seasons up into 1 week long seasons... so 4 archery seasons, 2 rifle seasons.

That comes out to about 2.3k tags per season that are available to NRs.

If rifle starts hitting it out of the park, you can reduce those tags and move the extras into archery.