Pine Valley Help - 0-3?

Bsevans5

FNG
I came on here last year looking for any direction I could get. I didn't get far, but figured I'd try again. This will be my 3rd year of dedicated hunter (or dedicated hiker as I call it). I've been out close to 70 days in the last 2 years. Haven't come across a decent buck once. Last year I saw some spikes and small forkies. I get out and hike as far away from roads as I can get...sometimes I hike so far I end up at another road even though it wasn't on OnX.

I have hunted mostly on the south end of the unit (enterprise, pine valley, utah hill, pachoon flat, etc. Been on bumblee a couple times. I am in st george so I dont know the northern part of the unit at all. I suffer from the fact that a large part of hunting is luck, because I'm one of those "if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all" kind of people. I put in the work, but end up with no results. I can tell you were deer arent. If anyone has any ideas other than the typical ox valley, communication hill, atchison, grass valley, big mountain, and all the stuff already listed I sure would appreciate any help. As I said in my post last year...not asking for a honey hole. Just need some direction. I seem to pick all the places where deer don't go.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
70 days and not one single good buck sounds like there's something else wrong other than location. You might slow down and really pick apart some of the areas you are going. I don't hunt down there but I hunt some of what I would call the worst units in the state and I turn up nice bucks in a lot less time than that.

70 days and not one single good buck sounds like there's something else wrong other than location. You might slow down and really pick apart some of the areas you are going. I don't hunt down there but I hunt some of what I would call the worst units in the state and I turn up nice bucks in a lot less time than that.
Seconded. Sounds like you're walking a whole helluva lot for an area that should be covered with binoculars on a tripod from a high point.

The unit went to crap, thats what else is wrong. If I remember right they cut the tags in that unit by about 50% this year if that is any indication as to how bad the deer population has gotten. I have hunted the unit every year since 2011 until last year and it has been noticeably worse every year. I didnt put in for this season due to the situation in the unit. Hopefully a couple years of reduced tags will help bring back some bucks. However, the does and fawns wont make it if the drought keeps up and then tag numbers wont matter.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I certainly accept the fact that I am likely a major variable. I am far from an experienced/good hunter. I don't doubt that there may be deer I didn't see. I will say though, when I talk about hiking. Its not hiking while glassing. I hike into a spot to try and get away from roads and I'll sit a whole morning and glass...or if after a couple hours don't see anything I may relocate nearby and glass some more.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
The unit went to crap, thats what else is wrong. If I remember right they cut the tags in that unit by about 50% this year if that is any indication as to how bad the deer population has gotten. I have hunted the unit every year since 2011 until last year and it has been noticeably worse every year. I didnt put in for this season due to the situation in the unit. Hopefully a couple years of reduced tags will help bring back some bucks. However, the does and fawns wont make it if the drought keeps up and then tag numbers wont matter.
The huge cut in tags makes me hopeful that maybe in a few years the unit will return to its previous status as an awesome general unit, but that obviously doesn't help much this year and with the reduced tags, its going to take a while to draw again.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
Seconded. Sounds like you're walking a whole helluva lot for an area that should be covered with binoculars on a tripod from a high point.
I walk a lot to get try and get away from people and then sit and glass for a long time. Sometimes a whole morning...or if I am not seeing anything I may relocate nearby and try glassing up another draw/face/canyon

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard the pine valley has really taken a beating from the drought. It's still crazy to me you haven't seen one 3 year old buck in 70 days!!! Maybe it is location but the places you mentioned are the places I have heard people say they do well in.......... I don't know what to tell you man! Maybe PM ol Muley Fever and see if he has any ideas for you

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I have heard the pine valley has really taken a beating from the drought. It's still crazy to me you haven't seen one 3 year old buck in 70 days!!! Maybe it is location but the places you mentioned are the places I have heard people say they do well in.......... I don't know what to tell you man! Maybe PM ol Muley Fever and see if he has any ideas for you
Thanks for responding. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm far from a great hunter so I value others' perspectives. I am always trying to improve my skills. I tried a lot of places last year I've never been. They obviously didn't pan out, but I continue to explore and learn the unit. I'm a bit late to the game. Didn't grow up hunting (raised in a place that isn't really accessible) so the last 8+ years have been a steep learning curve. Been out with a lot of different people. Seen a lot of different styles, techniques, preferences. Lots of e-learning. Always trying to get better

Fatcamp

WKR
So when you say you are walking in and glassing what does that mean?

Are you walking in and out in the pitch black.

Are you getting up high in the dark overlooking a large, like square miles, area?

What are you glassing with?

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
So when you say you are walking in and glassing what does that mean?

Are you walking in and out in the pitch black.

Are you getting up high in the dark overlooking a large, like square miles, area?

What are you glassing with?
I try to hike to a glassing spot in the dark (if I know where I'm going/been there before). Otherwise its at first light so I can at least figure out if I'm where I was trying to get to. I then get set up and glass a large area with a combination of binos/spotting scope. I'll sit there for hours till it seems like everything has bedded down. Or if after a good period of time (maybe 1-2 hours) I haven't seen anything at all, I may relocate to another place to glass up a different face/draw/area.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
Agree on the drought effect on Pine Valley unit deer. For the past 3 years, I only applied general archery point. My late winter scouting the last 2 years revealed only a couple of bucks worthy of tagging. When the snow flies in the high country, and you see few deer down low....there's your sign.
I've talked to a lot of hunters in the last couple years with similar experience. I have No doubt that there's a lot I can do to be a better hunter, but this seems like a pretty consistent report

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
All the negative talk has me considering turning my Pine Valley tags back in..decisions decisions
I guess it depends on a few things...do you just want to fill a tag or are you holding out for something more mature, if you have a secret spot you know still holds deer despite the drought and everything else and how bad you want to hunt. If it were me, based on what I've seen (granted maybe I've been doing it wrong and I don't claim to be an amazing hunter) I would wait a couple years for the herd to hopefully grow and mature as long as they keep the tags down after the big cut this year.

Calbuck

WKR
Unfortunately the herds don't seem to be growing year over year. The opposite seems to be the case. I talked to my hunting partner and we'll prob go ahead and hunt. Thanks for the perspective.