Pine Valley Help - 0-3?

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately the herds don't seem to be growing year over year. The opposite seems to be the case. I talked to my hunting partner and we'll prob go ahead and hunt. Thanks for the perspective.
That would be my move. I burned some dedicated points this year on a unit that really isn't doing great either but who knows what the future holds

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
Unfortunately the herds don't seem to be growing year over year. The opposite seems to be the case. I talked to my hunting partner and we'll prob go ahead and hunt. Thanks for the perspective.
Best of luck. I hope you guys have success. I'm really hoping that by cutting tags this year the deer population can make a come back

Last edited:

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not super familiar with PV, but I had a dedicated hunter tag on it the last few years. I’ve hunted it both early and late rifle for a total of about 8 days. Killed a good buck there in 2020 and my friend killed a decent buck also. Also hunted it last year and passed some good bucks, including the one in the picture. I’ve never scouted a day and I’ve seen mature bucks on probably 6 of those days of hunting. I never hunted it before 2020, so can give no insight on how it used to be, but can tell you that you have mentioned the areas I’ve hunted. All of my hunting has been done within a couple of miles of a road. Both deer killed were within 1/4 mile of the road. My suggestion would be to find water. That’s where the deer will be.

Attachments

• AFF82089-07D4-44E9-AE38-925262DCCD6E.jpeg
    AFF82089-07D4-44E9-AE38-925262DCCD6E.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 47CA73DE-71DC-4E4A-8229-25FE1FA72F4D.jpeg
    47CA73DE-71DC-4E4A-8229-25FE1FA72F4D.jpeg
    660.3 KB · Views: 89
The unit can be tough because the deer migrate. Ive been in places and not seen any deer at all and then move 30 or 40 miles one way or another and been covered in deer. Also the migration is not weather dependent. Its weird to hunt that much and not see anything.

I moved to st George last summer and spent last season trying to find the deer and struck out all over the place. This winter I have been able to find more but, it really is different and requires you to cover lots of ground. I have 2 points for rifle so hoping to get lucky and draw with about 30% odds. The winter down here has been amazing, tons and tons of water. Another year like this year and the population should be in much better shape. I am happy to compare notes if you want.