Plan to buy 2023 Tacoma

I have a 2019 TRD off road I picked up used with very low miles from a guy that didn't like it. I downsized from an f150 because 90% of the time I'm only hauling hunting gear and dogs and didn't "need" a full size so opted for better fuel economy and reliability, so far happy with both. I do notice on the highway rolling 70mph + that it's a smaller/lighter truck but doesn't bother me since I'm mostly on gravel all year. I've run with the bed loaded down and towing 2000lbs and didn't find it nearly as dramatic as some would say......I got 17/18mpg most of the trip but don't oversize the tires or bolt a bunch of stuff to it.

That being said, you'll find a lot of Toyota haters but personally I'd rather buy a Toyota Tacoma with a lower tech power train than the newer full size offerings that require much more tech, turbos etc to keep them adequate. Anyone I know that has a tundra loves everything about it but the gas mileage. Ford, Chevy, dodge? My experience has been average with all, if they were $30,000 I'd buy one but at today's prices they are overpriced for getting a car with a box on the back, at least the Tacoma has some ground clearance and metal skid plates etc, plus resale on the Tacoma is way better than the big 3....I've had my Tacoma for about a year & could sell it for what I paid for it or more by the end of the day.
My gas full size gets better mileage than that. My diesel does too.

CorbLand

WKR
Really considering changing my mind after hearing from all of these unhappy tacoma owners….reliability is the most important thing for me and it sounds like the Gen 3 may not be as bulletproof as previous generations.

Might look into the Frontier if I can find one with a 6ft bed.
Remember that people generally bitch way more than they sing praise.

Like all vehicles, there are good and bad along with trade offs.

Have you looked at the Colorados and Rangers?

Last edited:

Coldtrail

WKR
My gas full size gets better mileage than that. My diesel does too.
Fuel mileage wasn't my main priority, but for discussions sake the F150 I replaced that had the latest and greatest with twin turbo was rolling about 15-17MPG with the same load, route, and trailer so no huge difference either way for me there, Stock F150 best was maybe 21MPG empty and light foot, Stock Tacoma empty with an easy foot on the highway will get me 25/27mpg. The big seller for me for the Tacoma was 18MPG or so running in 4x4 unplowed snow, F150 was 10-12MPG, last Chevy I had was nothing more than a car, low clearance, weak front end, and slippy transmission whenever I worked it plus the benefit of single digit 4x4 snow mileage with the 5.3L. In winter I put on 50-100mi almost daily on unplowed forest roads so that's my main priority, and the Tacoma has been one of the better, if not the best for that need plus has some limited protection under it. Yes, its smaller, I'm 6'3 and its tight, but I'm the only one in it 99% of the time and works fine. The couple of long trips I take a year aren't brutal, but you notice the small cab.....I'm not at a point in my life where riding in any truck beats me up too much, prob from running lots of garbage when I was younger.

Diesel just doesn't work for my off-road needs and climate, tried that before and traded out in less than a year. For me the full-size offerings are packing more technology than I'd want to pay to maintain in 200-300k.....prefer K.I.S.S. since I wrench my own stuff.

Coldtrail

WKR
Really considering changing my mind after hearing from all of these unhappy tacoma owners….reliability is the most important thing for me and it sounds like the Gen 3 may not be as bulletproof as previous generations.

Something to keep in mind also, is there are lots of people that buy Tacoma and 1/2 tons and using them beyond their designed capabilities, and the manufacturers tend to inflate those numbers as well. When you crunch payload #'s on a pickup it isn't tough to overload and overwork a standard grocery getter type pickup......obviously contributing to the negative feedback.

When I crunched #'s on capacity between my Tacoma and my F150 they were the same tow rating, with the Tacoma having 330LBS less payload, my needs were well within those numbers so for me it was worth a try, so far not disappointed. I've always gambled a bit when loading up and towing with my 1/2ton trucks, I wouldn't think about pushing it with a Tacoma, a man's gotta know his limitations. I do know lots of Frontier owners that run them hard, and love them but they are hard to find where I live.

What is the reliability issue with a 2016-2023 Tacoma?

I haven’t seen anything posted here or anywhere else. When it first came out everyone talked about the reliability maybe not being as good, but the truck wasn’t even available yet.

For the most part the only people I ever read or hear about not liking their tacomas are mostly on Rokslide. A majority of the time they ended up getting an F150 crew cab eco boost. Also guys over 6 ft don’t seem to like them

So if you needed the power of a twin turbo 3.5 liter v6, and a full size crew cab a Tacoma is not a good choice for you.

If you actually go test drive one and like it, you will most likely be very happy with your purchase.

7mm-08

WKR
I was (sort of) in your same boat two years ago. Before I pulled the trigger on a new Tacoma (same configuration as you suggest), I have the opportunity to drive the same configuration with a short box, which I rented for a trip. I'll be honest, after spending five days in it and driving more than 1,500 miles, I realized there were a number of things I didn't like about the vehicle. It got terrible mileage and was just not that driver friendly or comfortable. Came home and decided to wait a while. I had the opportunity to drive a friend's Gen 1 Tundra and ended up buying a low mileage rig on the used market for about $17K. I put another 10K in it with updating mechanical (timing belts and water pumps are EXPENSIVE), new wheels and tires, a bedliner and a canopy and now have a vehicle (with 67K on the clock) that I absolutely love. And, I don't give a rip if it gets a door or rock ding. Good luck with your decision.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 2021 6MT TRD OR. I am happy with it. Have about 30k miles on it. Have driven it from Anchorage to Arkansas and back. Have two kids, family and I have made multiple 7+ hour trips without issue. Kids only need a lot of stuff if you over pack.

It towes fine. Handles bad roads fine. Has plenty of power for me. Handles well. I recommend one.

mkk

FNG
I have a Tacoma, I drive it to keep the miles off my diesel, it’s my daily driver unless I am towing. Its not too uncomfortable for me once I got used to it. This is my second Tacoma and they’re basically bullet proof, which is why I bought it over other options. Has enough power to do what you want to do.[/QUOTE]

X2 for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony

WKR
I won't steer you away from a Tacoma, I had an 09 and I've said it a 100 times. I had a real love hate thing with it.
Mileage sucked, it was like old school v8 MPGs 16 on average.
Frame rust was still going on, I hope by 2023 it is gone.
Uncomfortable on a long trip, I am 5'10" and 185ish
I had more recalls on the 09 then any "American" truck I've owned.

That said, I am real interested in the 2024 line as Toyota is keeping the 6 speed transmission. I had one in the 09 and would have to have one again.

My Ranger now that its repaired has been a great truck prior to and after the wiring issue. I'm back to 24-25 MPG with it.

Coldtrail

WKR
What is the reliability issue with a 2016-2023 Tacoma?

I haven’t seen anything posted here or anywhere else. When it first came out everyone talked about the reliability maybe not being as good, but the truck wasn’t even available yet.

For the most part the only people I ever read or hear about not liking their tacomas are mostly on Rokslide. A majority of the time they ended up getting an F150 crew cab eco boost. Also guys over 6 ft don’t seem to like them

So if you needed the power of a twin turbo 3.5 liter v6, and a full size crew cab a Tacoma is not a good choice for you.

If you actually go test drive one and like it, you will most likely be very happy with your purchase.
It does seem like among Rokslide that the mention of a Tacoma seems to stir up emotions, not sure why. I know plenty of people that use them pretty hard, probably harder than designed and yet they keep replacing their Tacoma's with another Tacoma so there are at least a few people happy with them. At least locally, the hound hunters, trappers, and grunts on the logging jobs are all using them year after year. If you are an interstate cruiser......you'll likely hate it, but punch a hole in a Fords aluminum oil pan in the sticks one time and you start to look closer at design vs comfort.

Rich M

WKR
I have a 2021 TRD and its nice. A little tight for getting into it and sitting.

We rented a 2019 and drove it across country, no complaints at that time. Did a 32 hr haul without stopping.

You can rent one for a weekend and see what you think. I know someone who bought one after riding in mine.

hunterjmj

WKR
Had a 97' taco and put 299,000 miles on it when I wrecked it in 09'. Really wanted to turn 300,000. Never did a thing to it other than regular maintenance, brakes and 1 battery. Bought an 04' taco after the wreck and put over 200,000 miles on it. Great vehicles but have 2 kids now and tow crap so I drive an 09' Chevy 2500. I loved my tacomas but I really like this Chevy.

KenLee

WKR
I have had a 19 TRD OR for a little over a year. Had a 21 Sierra for a year and traded it in for what I paid for it. I have always wanted a Tacoma, but having owned it a year, I'm fairly lukewarm. The power thing I have mostly gotten used to, but still noticeable. My biggest gripe is interior space. I'm 6'1" and have the seat pretty much all the way back, which leaves basically no floorboard space behind me, definitely not enough room for an adult. We have a 2 year old and his car seat is still rear facing and my wife hates riding with me cause of how far forward the passenger seat is. We have another kid on the way, so may figure out quick the taco has to go. Hopefully we can make it work, but may have to go back to full size.
Holler and I'll ride up from Spartanburg and nab the Taco. No babies for my old ass

KenLee

WKR
Something to keep in mind also, is there are lots of people that buy Tacoma and 1/2 tons and using them beyond their designed capabilities, and the manufacturers tend to inflate those numbers as well. When you crunch payload #'s on a pickup it isn't tough to overload and overwork a standard grocery getter type pickup......obviously contributing to the negative feedback.

When I crunched #'s on capacity between my Tacoma and my F150 they were the same tow rating, with the Tacoma having 330LBS less payload, my needs were well within those numbers so for me it was worth a try, so far not disappointed. I've always gambled a bit when loading up and towing with my 1/2ton trucks, I wouldn't think about pushing it with a Tacoma, a man's gotta know his limitations. I do know lots of Frontier owners that run them hard, and love them but they are hard to find where I live.
Ha!!!
I towed 13k pounds for over 10 yrs with a 98 GMC Sierra 1500.
Had a nice babied Duramax 2500 practically fall in my lap is the only reason that I don't still drag with the 1500

Coldtrail

WKR
Ha!!!
I towed 13k pounds for over 10 yrs with a 98 GMC Sierra 1500.
Had a nice babied Duramax 2500 practically fall in my lap is the only reason that I don't still drag with the 1500
I worked construction in the late 80's and 90's, our entire fleet was 1/2 tons 8' bed & grossly overloaded towing etc daily.......I think trucks were still trucks then, plus not having to takeout a second mortgage to pay for a burned up transmission in those days certainly helped too.

Last edited:
OP
Badger 5

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
You could get a new loaded Nissan Frontier Pro4X for that price range I believe. They have quite a bit more power than the Tacomas. The redesign of the Frontier looks really nice. I was always a Nissan fan, put a ton of miles on a Titan and an Xterra. When I was shopping a couple years ago, I went with a new 4Runner because my local Nissan dealership is shitty, lol (and I got a great deal on the 4Runner) Anyways, this was before the new Frontier came out. If had been out, I likely would have went that route. I really like the idea of a Frontier with a pop up camper like those GFC campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test drove a new Frontier Pro-4x last night….I really liked it. The drivers seat is definitely more comfortable being 6’ 1” and for the same price it had a lot more features than a Tacoma .

I’m a simple person, but the additionally tech and safety features were nice (pedestrian sensors, lane sensors, assisted cruise control that brakes for you). Again, I’m very simple and don’t need these, but for the same price you get a lot with a frontier. Nissan frontiers have great reputation for reliability.

I’m leaning Frontier after driving.

After having a Ford I can’t go back and get a ranger. I don’t like my Ford.

KenLee

WKR
Test drove a new Frontier Pro-4x last night….I really liked it. The drivers seat is definitely more comfortable being 6’ 1” and for the same price it had a lot more features than a Tacoma .

I’m a simple person, but the additionally tech and safety features were nice (pedestrian sensors, lane sensors, assisted cruise control that brakes for you). Again, I’m very simple and don’t need these, but for the same price you get a lot with a frontier. Nissan frontiers have great reputation for reliability.

I’m leaning Frontier after driving.

After having a Ford I can’t go back and get a ranger. I don’t like my Ford.
Do you realize that you're going to loose your rear in resale vs a Yoter???

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I have only owned Tacoma's and currently have a 2018 crew cab long bed 4x4. I am used to the lower power and doesn't bother me much anymore. Transmission isnt the best, but you learn how to work around it. I only have 44k miles on mine. It has the rear diff howl that was very common the first 3-4 model years. The front body mount bushings are bad (robot from factory pinched the rubber for most 2018's) so bumps cause a bang up front. Rear diff also seeps a tiny bit and Toyota refused to fix it along with the rear diff howl. Lifetime fuel mileage is a hair over 21mpg. Falken wildpeak at3's have been on for over 20k miles now. Paid $32.4k OTD for it in 2017. Been offered (an actual offer) almost $38k for it late last year.

Moving on to a new Tundra later this year for more space, towing, power, etc. If I was still in the market for a mid sized I would wait for the 2024 Tacoma info to release (May 19th). If I had to buy a mid size right now I'd learn towards the new chevy. If I could wait I'd probably end up in another Tacoma.

There is a giant Tacoma forum that will give you all the data you ever wanted on the current gen.