Plastic/double boots

ColeyG

WKR
I agree, the Wiggy's are essentially a one time use item. They get a hunter by for a short period of time, but inevitably they get holes and are useless. The glacier socks on the other hand, I can get 2-3 seasons out of a pair, and I use them a lot. The ability to use glacier socks are one huge advantage of the plastic boots. When you have to cross a creek 10-15 times in the course of a mile or two, or essentially be in the creek the whole time you work up a drainage, everything is inferior to using glacier socks with plastic boots. Now, I did have a buddy hike two miles up a creek with crocs and glacier socks one time, but that didn't look like much fun and was probably a sprained ankle waiting to happen.

Anyway, I think I'll check out these new double boots you guys are referring to and see if they can match the advantages I find with wearing plastic double boots. For me anyway, I need an extremely stiff boot in the ankles. A plastic boot makes it virtually impossible to "roll" your ankle, not the case with leather boots I have tried such as, crispis, lowas's, kennetreks, etc. The durability is another advantage. Depending where a guy hunts, I've seen leather boots toasted after one hunt. Along with the aforementioned ability to use glacier socks, there are some advantages that I don't think any other boot system can match, but I digress.

I need a ton of ankle support as well having blown out all tendons and ligaments in one of my ankles playing sports as a young lad. I have zero lateral support on my left and I I look at it crooked it rolls. This is the primary reason I use mountaineering boots for sheep hunting when a more moderate hiking boot would work for most of the terrain.

I find the ankle support and fit much better in single mountaineering boots than double, even more so than old plastics where there is a lot of play in the plush liner. I just replaced my 2nd pair of Sportiva Trango Cubes with their new Aequilibrium ST and so far I am very impressed. It is a fantastic sheep boot. An awesome combination of light and comfortable on the flats and stiff/supportive with great traction on the steeps. The synthetic materials that these boots are made out of dry much more quickly than leather. I can't think of a sheep trip I've had where, even after a full soaking, my boots have remained wet to the point I'd consider that problematic for more than a day. I do tend to take more socks than most, usually one pair for every 2-3 day in the field.

Good to know on the Glacier Socks. Glad you get some good mileage out of them. I've definitely torn up a few toenails and banged some ankles logging river rock miles in my crocs. Since I usually have these along as camp shoes anyhow, I am too lazy/weak to carry something else just for dealing with water crossings.

Snyd

WKR
Lowa Civettas are great if they fit your feet like any other boot. I've killed a few rams and packed out a few more in them. Not one blister in 100's of miles of mountain hunting. I put a plastic sack or oven bag between the liner and shell. Always have dry feet. Glacier socks when needed like mentioned above. Every partner I've hunted with over the years wearing leather boots always nursed their feet from blisters and ended up with wet feet at some point. Any ankle support a leather boot gives you disappears after being wet for a few days.

Whoever said they are no good for sheep hunting doesn't have a clue. Heavy packs, steep rocky terrain they are the bomb. You can edge in with them and the lateral support you get cannot be had with leather boots. Plus the protection from the hard shell cannot be matched by leather. I've also worn them on Kodiak deer and goat hunting.

I suppose if you are on a guided hunt and the guide does most of the heavy lifting and you have a heated base camp cabin to go back to and dry out by the wood stove after a couple days in a spike camp it might be different. But on a 7-12 day DIY walk-in hunt boots are the most important part of the equation.

Draw backs? Flat hard ground trekking they are a little "clunky". Can slow you down a little. Worth the trade off for when you get up in sheep country.

ColeyG

WKR
Whoever said they are no good for sheep hunting doesn't have a clue. Heavy packs, steep rocky terrain they are the bomb.

It isn't that they are no good, it is that there are better options out there.

The choice isn't plastic double boot vs. single leather. A wide range of synthetic and hybrid options exist depending on your intended application.

It is obvious that the old-schoolers who have been using plastics for years are unlikely to change their minds and I get that. To each their own. I am a creature of habit as well and when I find something that works well for me, I tend to stick with it for a while, sometimes to a detriment as technology and innovation march forward.

A pipe wrench makes a pretty good hammer, but why not use a tool designed for that job.

Steep, rocky terrain is a perfect example of why plastics aren't a great choice for sheep country. Their large, clunky profile, sloppy fit, and heavily lugged flat sole, which again is designed for walking on snow, are terrible for anything approaching technical rock when compared to boots that are actually designed for mixed terrain.

Add these considerations to the fact that getting to sheep country usually involves a lot of long, low angle miles aka flat hard ground trekking, and it becomes really hard for me to see any upside of these boots for mountain hunting that doesn't involve very cold temperatures or extended periods of time walking on snow and/or glaciers.

The hard shell does a good job of protecting your feet from getting bashed by talus and loose rocks, true, but with a lighter, more agile boot, I find it a lot less likely that my feet need this kind of protection and I am able to place them more precisely and slips, trips and falls are less likely as a result.

The weight of double plastics is another massive drawback when it comes to distance and elevation gain. Most plastics weight in at 5-5.5lbs per pair. My sheep boots weight 2.75lbs for the pair. That is over a pound per foot that really adds up over 100 miles in sheep country. No thank you!

Snyd

WKR
The Lowa Civettas (green ones) are svelt and lighter. Nothing like the Scarpas, Koflachs, etc. The Lowa Extremes (red ones or black for UK Military) have a different liner more of a winter liner for warmth. Same shell though. The Koflachs for me had a narrow toe and wide heel. Civetta shells fit my feet perfect. Fit is everything as we know. Drawback- The bellows don't go to the top of the boot and water can get in which is why I put a plastic bag over the liner before I put it in the boot.

Just pointing out that these are a great option for a Sheep Hunter for a plastic boot that is not the typical fat, clunky, overly stiff upper plastic boot like ones mentioned in this thread. Upper cuff is very flexible. Loosening it makes for plenty easy trekking on flat ground. Liners have a rubber bottom making them like a moccasin for a camp shoe.

Gotta add some pics cuz it's a Sheep Hunting forum, the dead of winter and I'm bored!! :D

Civetta.jpg

P8090001.jpg

P8120071.jpg

P8160009.jpg

P8110031.jpg

IMG-2590.jpg

ColeyG

WKR
The Civettas, much like the Alpha Ice boot, are definitely lower profile and less blocky.

My oldest just bought the Scarpa Phantom Techs. They’re coming out with a new model, so they’re 40% off. Super light and very comfortable “hybrid” boot.
He’ll ice climb, snowshoe and late season hunt in them. We’re the same size, so I’ll test drive them as well.
I think they run smaller than other Scarpas. We went a half size bigger than all our other Scarpas. We both have narrow feet and these fit narrow. They’re still $500 though…