Wide Fit mountaineering boots

CB890

FNG
Hi all,

What do people suggest as wide fitting mountaineering boots.

I’m keen on something with a very stiff sole.

I purchased a pair of La Sportiva Nepal Cubes but they are too narrow for me. I just burnt out my Scarpa Mont blancs but it did take a lot of wear for them to not give me a lot of grief on my pinky toe.

I’m thinking maybe Lowa Alpine experts or Scarpa Grand dru’s but I’m keen for other suggestions

Cheers

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve struggled with this too because I have very wide feet. I took my scarpa mont Blancs to a boot fitter and had them stretch the toe box and that opened them up a lot

Odd1out

FNG
I just got the lowa Alpine Expert 2 gtx, havent used them other than in my house. But if you have an E width foot, they will probably fit great. I'm not sure if they make a EE wide version.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Crispis are the only mountain boots Ive found that offer wide sizes that are actually wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The models you’ve tried/mentioned being interested in are a true mountaineering boot (vs a boot that can go into the mountains) for crampons and the like. I’m not sure if they have a model, but you may check out Schnee’s. Their Granite Pro may fit the bill you’re looking for. They also make wide sizes. I have a pair of the Granite Extremes in a wide and they’re just about as comfortable as my lightweight hikers.

OP
C

CB890

FNG
I’ve struggled with this too because I have very wide feet. I took my scarpa mont Blancs to a boot fitter and had them stretch the toe box and that opened them up a lot
Interesting to hear you’ve done that. I was actually considering it, I still have the La Sportivas. Is there anyway for the boot fitter to determine whether they can get them to fit. What I would want to avoid is to stretch them and still not find them comfortable. And then have them more difficult to sell

OP
C

CB890

FNG
Thanks for other replies. Not sure crispi or schnee have quite the boots I’m after looking at there websites.

I am aware the boot type I’m after is a true mountaineering boot but I am preferential to that style of boot

t_carlson

WKR
I have wide feet and ordered several pairs of boots a few years ago and tried them on.

La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX are the widest of the boots that I tried (and ended up being what I kept).

They are NOT hunting boots. Pure mountaineering/ice climbing.

OP
C

CB890

FNG
I have wide feet and ordered several pairs of boots a few years ago and tried them on.

La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX are the widest of the boots that I tried (and ended up being what I kept).

They are NOT hunting boots. Pure mountaineering/ice climbing.
Nice. My La sportivas aren’t far off, they don’t give me pain- albeit just walking around on the farm. But they do feel tight and properly rigged up they do make my feet feel a bit numb.

Boots are horses for courses man- they fit the type of hunting that I do as I benefit from the stiff shank in the alpine, definitely not as pleasant on the walk in but I’m happy with the trade off

t_carlson

WKR
Nice. My La sportivas aren’t far off, they don’t give me pain- albeit just walking around on the farm. But they do feel tight and properly rigged up they do make my feet feel a bit numb.

Boots are horses for courses man- they fit the type of hunting that I do as I benefit from the stiff shank in the alpine, definitely not as pleasant on the walk in but I’m happy with the trade off

Have you tried Kenetrek Mountain Extremes? They are stiff enough that I've considered getting rid of my La Sportivas and just using them for mountaineering.

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to hear you’ve done that. I was actually considering it, I still have the La Sportivas. Is there anyway for the boot fitter to determine whether they can get them to fit. What I would want to avoid is to stretch them and still not find them comfortable. And then have them more difficult to sell
I think they could tell you up front if the boot type or material is proper for stretching or fitting. The guy I used was in Seattle (now in Leavenworth WA), and he was able to stretch my boots but told my climbing partner he was SOL with his Scarpa Ribelle Techs because of material and fit.

I think a lot of ski boot shops have the capabilities to stretch boots

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat. I tried some la sportiva Nepal’s and they were a bit too tight. The scarpa mont blanc don’t hurt but could be stretched out, and for my feet the scarpa grand dru fit well with no width issues Fwiw.