plastics

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Are plastics a bad idea for a March Kodiak goat trip? I've hunted there a few times but never that time of year. First time my boots were soaked the whole time. Second time I didn't wear rubber rain gear and fared much better.

Aaron

Yes! There nickname is foot punishers. You know what brand you like? there’s definitely a boot out there that will sufficiently do the job and not risk your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
First goat hunt there I wore hanwag. Second was scarpa grand dru. Plastics aren't much stiffer if any than the scarpas. At least the ones I've worn.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If you have a pair of plastics that fit you well and don’t cause you issues, I say absolutely wear them. I have a pair of Scarpa plastics but I just can’t seem to get used to them, if I could, they would be the only thing I would ever wear for sheep and goats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Troutbum, if plastics work for you, then use them. Especially in March. I normally don't use my plastic boots for mountain hunting in the fall (they are heavy and I don't like hiking the flats with them), but I was glad to have brought them on the last spring goat hunt we did on Kodiak. We were camped on the water line and climbed the mountain everyday in deep snow. The plastics worked well in my snowshoes (MSR Ascents), with crampons (which we were used often), and for kicking toe holes on the steeper sections. Nice to be able to pull out the liners at night to dry as well. In my opinion that's exactly what plastic boots are for, winter mountaineering and that was the situation we were in on our particular hunt. No way I would go on a spring hunt there and not bring them unless I knew I wouldn't be in the snow.

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to update this thread. The plastics were awesome on the march hunt. I didn't get a goat but I handicapped myself with a revolver.