Polar Vortex Impact on Aoudad

Hi Folks,

Aoudad are one of my absolute favorite species to hunt. Been reading all the stories of Texas Exotics = Nilgai, Blackbuck, Axis, Ibex, etc all having high-volume die offs due to the sustained sub-freezing and heavy icing conditions in Texas. But I haven’t heard anything about free-ranging Aoudad. I know that in general Wild Sheep are OK in the cold, but Aoudad are native to areas near the equator, so it makes me wonder about their survivability. Does anyone know? Or is it that folks cannot get out to look at the herds?

Interesting that after so many generations they would not be as adaptable as the whitetail to cold. Or are the deer dying too?

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
No need to worry about Aoudads. They tolerate extreme temperatures extremely well. In fact they seem almost oblivious to weather conditions. They are tough in more ways than one!

Nilgai, axis and blackbuck are more of a tropical animal and they do not tolerate cold weather.

JLMUELZ

FNG
I had the same worry, but it seems that they are doing just fine. At least that is the consensus from the few people I follow and have talked to.

wyosteve

WKR
I just got back from a West Texas aoudad hunt and the weather didn't seem to impact the sheep in that area. Saw lots of young ram and ewes with lambs which I would think would be impacted if weather was a problem. Although they only got 3 in. of snow out of the system.

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I were down in Texas too aoudad hunting the polar vortex, sheep faired just fine, but the dead axis and blackbuck we saw was depressing. Wife killed a nice ram although I struggled with the bow in the snow and failed to get a shot on a ram.

Attachments

• AD7B6DE0-11A2-439E-8735-48FDFD506390.jpeg
    AD7B6DE0-11A2-439E-8735-48FDFD506390.jpeg
    740.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 8E0D1297-46F8-4337-8694-FBB2D987E4F2.jpeg
    8E0D1297-46F8-4337-8694-FBB2D987E4F2.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 83
  • F9B823A8-31D3-40B9-901C-4975F41ECF44.jpeg
    F9B823A8-31D3-40B9-901C-4975F41ECF44.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 82
I saw plenty of sheep, mule deer & oryx last month. Not sure about the other exotic species.
I'm curious too, as I want to do another exotic.

bdubb78

FNG
I shot this one in the snow in New Mexico on public land last week. The sheep there seemed to be doing fine...Thats an interesting hunt in snow in sub zero temps...
Timely finding of your post. I am out in Roswell right now with my Barbary hunt starting tomorrow, and I just had an oh $hit moment wondering how the snow we got last night and today might impact where to find the animals. They certainly would pop on the landscape in terms of glassing, by any findings you can report on change in movement or location based on snow or business as usual in their normal areas?

Kotaman

WKR
Timely finding of your post. I am out in Roswell right now with my Barbary hunt starting tomorrow, and I just had an oh $hit moment wondering how the snow we got last night and today might impact where to find the animals. They certainly would pop on the landscape in terms of glassing, by any findings you can report on change in movement or location based on snow or business as usual in their normal areas?
Seemed normal to me, but it was my first and only Aoudad hunt!

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Aoudad can take extremes in temperature better than any exotics and most native species. This is based on totally unscientific observation, LOL.

cbeard64

WKR
Shame it didn't kill 'em all. Pesky invasives that destroy the exact habitat that bighorns and mulies need.

I’m a native Texan. I don’t feel quite that strongly about them but I sure understand the sentiment. It’s been interesting (to say the least) to watch the status of aoudads go from pest to huntable exotic to prized mountain game over the past 10-15 years.

Almost the same with feral hogs - which I do feel that strongly about. I wish they would all disappear from the state. Nothing but pasture rats. But when I go out west and up north it seems all the toughest guides and outfitters I know want to do is come to Texas and shoot aoudads and hogs. I guess the grass is always greener.

BTW, if the weather gets bad enough down here to hurt the aoudad and hog population-we are all in trouble. 😊

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Aoudad are definitely a hardier sheep than native bighorns.
Millions are spent just keeping bighorns alive and Aoudad just keep
ticking along no matter what.
Prolly my favorite big game animal.
And hunting them is actually realistic.