Polymer tipped vs cup/core at closer ranges on whitetail

hawk45

FNG
Hi all,
Looking at picking up some bullets for my 20" .308 that would be used for whitetails only with most shots inside 200yds.
Was going to grab some Hornady SSTs and Interlocks to try (Maybe some Sierra Gameking SPBT). The SSTs seem to have a better chance of breaking up so was going to move up a weight class and get 165s. The Interlocks probably have a better chance to hold together so was thinking of going with 150s for better expansion with few more FPS. Does this sound like solid logic or am I over thinking things?
Thanks,
Hawk

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm gonna work up a load for my 20" barreled 308 with 165 grain Partitions/Accubonds. The 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip(NBT) would also be a good choice.

mmac

WKR
Anything you shoot out of that 308 inside 200 yards will work if reasonably well placed. Lots of guys have shot and killed more deer with frangible bullets, bonded and copper. I would shoot cheapest and most accurate.

Last edited:

260madman

WKR
SSTs in my 260 are fragile at close range. My 308 I’ve used 168 NBTs and 165 Hot-Cors with good results at just inside 200 yards. A good 165-168 will perform well at most common ranges. The Hot-Cor poked a nice hole in and out and left a lot of blood on the ground.E390FA28-D33A-486B-981A-2DE2ED99EB4C.jpeg

150g SSTs in my .270 have put more whitetails in my freezer then any other bullet and it’s nit even close. Especially if I am hunting near a boundary I want the DRT. And SSTs have done that for me. I am loading some 150g Nosler ballistic tips this year for my Ky rut hunt to see if I like their performance but if I’m not happy I always have the SSTs to fall back on. I’m gonna run Nosler partitions this year for my CO ELK/mule deer trip

Clarence

WKR
Shot several whitetail doe over the years with a 165 ballistic tip out of a 30-06. Never lost one, but it wasn't always ideal or good. I don't remember one exiting. Had some explode and knock 6" patch of hide off shoulder at 50 yards. Switched to to 165 Sierra game kings, and they work great for the style of hunting you describe. Leave nice exit holes, without having blood shot through every seam in a deer (another negative I experienced with the B/T. My .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does this sound like solid logic or am I over thinking things?
Thanks,
Hawk

I think you're over thinking things. Maybe I haven't shot enough deer to see these failures people discuss but I've never seen a deer shot with any expanding bullet that didn't do it's job just fine. Hard to push a bullet too fast with a 308 but if you're worried about it, just grab an expanding 165 class bullet that shoots well in your rifle and call it a day.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever shoots well in your rifle man, I would feel confident in a 150-165 serria, sst or ballistic tip. Where I have seen problems on Whitetails is folk using a too heavily constructed bullet that does little damage and leaves a terrible blood trail. I personally like the sst the best.

OP
H

hawk45

FNG
Thanks everyone. Have some 165 SSTs, BTs and 150gr Interlocks on the way. I'll see what shoots best and call it a day.

Hi all,
Looking at picking up some bullets for my 20" .308 that would be used for whitetails only with most shots inside 200yds.
Was going to grab some Hornady SSTs and Interlocks to try (Maybe some Sierra Gameking SPBT). The SSTs seem to have a better chance of breaking up so was going to move up a weight class and get 165s. The Interbonds probably have a better chance to hold together so was thinking of going with 150s for better expansion with few more FPS. Does this sound like solid logic or am I over thinking things?
Thanks,
Hawk
interLOCKS or interBONDS ? two totally different bullets (I'll take the interbonds any where any day)