Ponderosa Pine Turkey Habitat

I'm learning to hunt turkeys in ponderosa pines after living on the East Coast and I'm struggling on what habitat features to key in on within the pines. I'm sure water is a good starting place, but what else? Looking at a map, it can be hard to find any diversity in a big hillside of ponderosa.

I'm hunting what looks to be amazing pine savannah habitat, but with the lack of water and other vegetation types, should I try somewhere else? Will these pine savannahs draw more turkeys once the floor has greened up?

dtrkyman

WKR
Look for oak brush and definitely a water source, follow the snow melt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrain. In the west I've found they tend to roost up on top or just off the top of hills and ridges. (Maybe it's the same elsewhere in the country. I dunno, I've only hunted turks in the western states). I also have better success where there is a diversity of vegetation. Oak, aspen, fir, meadows, etc. They do use the pine monoculture country as well though, so may just need to get out and start ground truthing. Following the snow line, as stated above is solid advice for sure

Jeffro

FNG
Ours in Idaho panhandle love the avalanche lily's. I have had several birds stuffed to the beak with yellow avalanche lily's. If i am not seeing that flower I keep moving. They usually flower about a month after the snow melts.