Pop riveting DIY stove ?

Can anyone explain to me what to purchase and how to pop rivet the door and other areas of a DIY stove? Sorry rookie question but don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
rivetgun.jpg
gun

51HHSBjrHiL.jpg
rivets

Its very simple. Drill the correct size hole in your material, push the fat end of the rivet through the hole, insert the skinny end into the rivet gun and squeeze the gun. The shaft of the rivet will flare the outer sleeve on the back side of the material as it is pulled through the sleeve until the "right amount of resistance" occurs at which point the shaft of the rivet will snap off resulting in a fastener that is nearly flush with the outer surface.

Like @huntsman22 said, there are different size rivets and rivets that are made of different materials based on your application.

WoodBow

WKR
Be warned, there is very little money to be saved in making a stove yourself if you buy quality material. I looked into it quite a bit and decided I was better of buying one. And I diy a ton of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Be warned, there is very little money to be saved in making a stove yourself if you buy quality material. I looked into it quite a bit and decided I was better of buying one. And I diy a ton of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I agree with this.

I made one several years ago. It was a fun, novel project and it has served me pretty well. Form and function definitely suffered from my tools and abilities.

OP
standswittaknife
Agree. I had just bought a kit it’s about 90% done from Rokslider and really like the design. I just need to put it together and buy the titanium for the belly.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I'd add that finding the correct diameter steel washer for the back side of the rivet will strengthen it a LOT.

Hope you're doing well Huntsman22!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Agree. I had just bought a kit it’s about 90% done from Rokslider and really like the design. I just need to put it together and buy the titanium for the belly.

My kits! I’ve still got a few for sale in the classifieds. Hopefully it worked out well for you!

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
For the rivets, you need to use stainless steel (or just normal steel would work too). The melting point for aluminum is too low and they will loosen up after the first fire (…ask me how I learned).
Other posters are right though, just drill a hole first, insert rivet, then use tool to install it. Make sure to push the rivet in all the way before clamping with the tool, otherwise it won’t sit flush and hold the material together properly

rivetgun.jpg
gun

51HHSBjrHiL.jpg
rivets

Its very simple. Drill the correct size hole in your material, push the fat end of the rivet through the hole, insert the skinny end into the rivet gun and squeeze the gun. The shaft of the rivet will flare the outer sleeve on the back side of the material as it is pulled through the sleeve until the "right amount of resistance" occurs at which point the shaft of the rivet will snap off resulting in a fastener that is nearly flush with the outer surface.

Like @huntsman22 said, there are different size rivets and rivets that are made of different materials based on your application.

This

But you'll need to use stainless steel rivets OR use compression rivets that you need an air hammer to squish. The aluminum rivets will likely get very brittle after a few fires

OP
standswittaknife
267fa7eda00ea0e8425abd7ca02aaf77.jpg

Here’s the completed finished stove from the kit i bought.. love is stability and functionality. I’ve had a lot of stoves and this one’s been my favorite