Portable Camp Stoves at Lowes

Just got the 18" after receiving email for $32 delivered.

Now have to put a stove jack in my KT and decides which stoves will work best.

Eddie

Here I am getting in trouble from my wife for all the stuff I've been buying for my camping trip with my boys next weekend, and then y'all spring this on me!

18" was in stock this morning, ordered it and remembered I had a $25 GC for Lowes I kept forgetting to use. So only on the hook for $7.

Not sure how I'll use it yet, as I've got a Cabela's Outback Lodge Poly tent. But regardless, can't pass up that kind of deal.

Ordered an 18 inch. At the very least, I can put it in my shed and use it for heat in the winter.

Last edited:
For most lf you if given the chance would it just be best to get the 18" vs the 14" ? Probbably car camping with a cheap amzn tipi more than likely with this stove.

For most lf you if given the chance would it just be best to get the 18" vs the 14" ? Probbably car camping with a cheap amzn tipi more than likely with this stove.
That's what I'm thinking. I ordered both because the 18" had been out of stock, got the 14" today but haven't opened the box yet. I doubt I'd ever use it in a situation where I couldn't just setup the 18" stove. I'm gonna get the cheapest Walmart wall tent I can find and play around with it. I have a lightweight titanium stove for the my backpacking tents.

got mine today, fyi the 14" weighs 16 lbs so don't be getting any ideas. one of the leg screws was wonky but for $29 it's expected. gonna cut the pipes as noted by others and tipi arrives tuesday so seems like a happy pairing. Guess I have a reason to go bear hunting next weekend. Gotta try the new gear.

Just a reminder to burn these in (including using the full pipe) before using them in a tent.

Eddie

I received my 18" yesterday. Out of the box, the door hinge was bent, but i got it straight easily. Legs screwed on by hand. I left the leg extensions off. I did check, leg stud is a standard 3/8-16 thread. I did run a hex nut on the legs after my first burn to clean the threads, and then applied never sieze to the leg studs.

I've burnt it twice. Small seasoned hardwood splits.

First burn- Applied never sieze to the stove pipe sections. They went together easily. I let it get pretty hot, 650° on my infrared temp gun. It did smoke as it cooked the paint the first half hour. After 2 hours I could get the pipes apart wearing welding gloves. This morning, after cooling all night, the pipe was solid, not coming apart. I heated each joint with a torch and got them apart. Then I made my relief cuts. I used an angle grinder and cutting wheel first, but found a Sawzall worked better.

2nd burn- Today I fired it up again, not quite as hot, about 550°,and then let it cool. Afterward, the pipe was stuck again, but after tapping on the joints, they came right apart.

Thoughts- It's a bit finicky to start. I need to be more patient, I tend to use a little paper and a lot of wood. It worked best for me to start with very small slivers off wood, taking my time to build up to bigger pieces as it started. Once it got going, I didn't have issues with it smoking. It does throw off the heat! I think I could roast my small shelter. A 3-4 hr burn time isn't out of the question if you load it up. I'm impressed by the length of pieces you can get in the 18" stove.
6e3c9e4c37a0b5be2445b8a942c4f437.jpg
7da0e6cf7c9de568987c27a0a9b7a6f7.jpg
ec44f9592ef41d8394eb6399d177c8dd.jpg
aec97f47f0e24a6d3507d7a9aa55af72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I love mine. I got the XL and it’s going to be perfect for my 8man teepee for car camping or a fly in camp… I burned it in and added this little floor vent cover to help keep the wood off the bottom of the stove and I sprayed the pipe with a little WD40 lube.. now I keep a little can of wd in the stove bag with a pair of leather gloves , fire starter and torch lighter
That little vent cover doesn't melt in there?

I actually have a couple old cast iron grates from grills that were scrapped, thinking of cutting one to size for it.

1000010071.jpglooks like burn in day for a few of us. Minus the one won't leg bolt, pretty happy with this little fella.

I think the pipe size being too small for the stove is causing draft issues. I think if you start small and let the pipe get hot before filling it up and letting it go youll resolve the smoke issue.

I have no complaints, seemed to be an effort to get the first fire going good but otherwise it's a great little stove. Like I mentioned earlier I had bought a stove similar to this before and had to burn all the paint and whatnot off, no issues with this one.

This thing is a steal for $30! Mine seems pretty well built. No problem getting it to draft but I'm pretty familiar with a similar sized stove being the lite outdoors cylinder stove. Lots of smoke coming off of it now from the paint. Anyone know what the half circle piece of sheet metal that came with it is?
f48bb5485000498708c173170e8b1cc6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I haven't checked but I would guess the metal there may be thinner or punched out like that to cook/boil on?

I haven't checked but I would guess the metal there may be thinner or punched out like that to cook/boil on?
I'm not talking about the round on the firebox... I think you're right that is for a pot. It came with a separate random little half circle piece of unfinished metal. I thought maybe some kind of scoop for ashes? It also came with a random extra rod of a grill grate. That might be a fire poker. Maybe these are considered blemished and that is why they are so cheap but mine doesn't have any blemishes that I can tell.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Is this the metal piece? I figured I was the only one who got an extra piece! The rod with a hook is to adjust the air and open door handle?
75e6a6c2e0fcfb02389a89fd31a711c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ah. yeah I think it is an ash plow, there was a damper hook and a brush as well with mine. I really have no idea, i'd read the instructions but I burned them already...

Back