Possible Career Change (Lineman)

Adkjake

FNG
A little background on myself, I am a 24 y/o recently married fisheries biologist working as a lead technician at a research laboratory. When I got into this field I did so because I loved working with fish and wildlife and being outdoors and didn’t really care much about making the big bucks. But over the last few years I’ve realized that unless I want to sit behind a desk all day and write reports, I’ll never be able to advance my career. I feel stalled.

This past weekend I met a kid my age who was 1.5 years into his lineman apprenticeship. He absolutely loved it and when he told me how much he made I almost pooped myself. I asked him a ton of questions and I really think that might be my next move.

So my question is.... is anyone here a apprentice or journeyman lineman? What do you like or dislike about it? And how would you recommend entering the field?

Jake

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
ive got 20 years in the trade. Started as an apprentice and have had every job up to superintendent. Best job is as a lineman. Wanna see some true linework come over to glenwood canyon and watch us rebuilding two lines that go through there.
That guy loves it because he is an apprentice. What it has become isn't fun most days. Yea there's good money but that ain't everything. U want the union training as their benefits cannot be beat.

I'm not a lineman, but an inside wireman. My advice is go the union route. This career has been good to me and my family.

b_schwin

FNG
Been a lineman 12 years now and it’s a great job. But it’s a takes a lot of your time. It’s a constant trade off between time and money. Be prepared to miss out on a lot of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
Im 2 months away from journeyed out... spent 9 years guiding before joining the linework trade. Like mentioned above, yes we make good money depending on where you are located. But i can't say i love every day of work. There is plenty of Sh** work that comes with linework. Especially with majority of things moving to underground from overhead. Union or non-union you can get a good apprenticeship. I was in my late 20s when i went to line school. Hired on with Air 2 doing helicopter work right after.. spent a year there, but if you only learn transmission you will never be able to stop traveling. Waited until my local Co-op in western Wyoming was able to open an apprentice spot for me. Been here ever since and get to go home every night and hunt the mountains i want every fall. .. many linemen spend a lot of time traveling and you can make a pile of money doing so once you are a journeyman. Might be something i do again someday, but i really don't care to live in a trailer in crapholes across the country, so I'm happy with what i have for now. Getting into the industry entry level is getting harder and harder with the # of guys being pumped out by lineschools... but for most places, it's almost a necessary requirement to have anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
When I was your age, this advice probably wouldn't have resonated with me, but find out how the job is as you age towards retirement. I'm in my 40s and many I know in the trades my age are feeling their bodies give out or starting to wonder if their bodies are going to hold out.

What level of degree do you have? can you put in a couple/several more years to get a MS or PhD that would expand your options in wildlife biology?

MtGomer

WKR
I work at a utility so I’m familiar with lineman

Ours make around $140k a year I’m told, with more experienced ones, traveling ones and ‘troublemen’ making north of $200k.
We have pension, 401k, great insurance and if you started here at your age you’d be able to get full retirement at 55

In California they make even more, but of course it’s California.

Where I work the application period for apprenticeships is in the spring and they want you to have a CDL before applying.

I’d recommend into looking into a few utilities because I’m sure others are like this, where you must obtain some prequalifications and apply in a certain window.

Rich M

WKR
My cousin is a lineman or something along those lines - he enjoys it.

You are neglecting to think about the future. You will slow down and a desk may be a positive place in 25 years.

JD619er

WKR
I'm almost ten years in doing both union and non union work. Research the company and it can be a great job on both sides. I will reiterate the fact that it's a constant struggle between time and money and missing out on things. Then again I'm on a transmission crew for a utility right now that has 8 men to service 21 counties worth of transmission line. I'm sure there are companies where you can keep your overtime to a minimum if you don't want to work every weekend. The longer I'm in it the more I love the work but the more days it seems like we're not doing the real nitty gritty work like I love. (Back lot work and tower work)

TJ

WKR
I'm an insied wireman. The first journeyman I worked with said something that stuck with me. He mentioned you don't see any "old" wireman in the industry. For the most part he was right. There are a few but not many. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again, but the future is always something to keep in mind.

I have been an electrical inspector for close to twenty years, but the years prior to that did take their toll.

I had the same situation a little over a year ago. I was working for a state DNR and had ten years in already. I had been trying to find work closer to a long term gf/fiance and felt my job was a dead also. I had been passed up for promotions for several reasons. I found a job working for a railroad as a Conductor. I make double or more of the money, retirement pension will be excellent if I make it that long. My days of do not line up with fiances, work all kinds of odd hours, much higher stress work environment. At this point the only thing making me stay is the money and retirement. Benefits are also good, but I had that at last job. All in all it was not worth it. I have to plan vacations a year out and good luck getting personal days off.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Adkjake,
Are you working for a state or federal agency? I would say to go federal if your with the state. Better money and retirement. It’s soul sucking but the benefits are great.

MtGomer

WKR
There are desk jobs and easier field jobs for lineman to transition to as they age. I work with many; Schedulers, planners, supervisors, safety, inspection etc. the options are endless and they are all six figure jobs too.

I think the danger is more about getting electrocuted than it is being hard on your body chronically. Not that it isn’t hard physically, but compare it to roofing or farming, such as picking up hay bales, pouring concrete, framing houses, landscaping, many things that pay pennies compared to line work are significantly harder on the body.

Kaseman

FNG
Hey, I just got my journey 2 yrs ago. I was 26 when I started. I went to a lineworker program at a trade school. Did an internship and started my apprenticeship through a local co-op. I never had to travel at all as far as contract work goes. We will/do head to different projects for storm restoration every now and then. I feel like I got lucky for my situation. Not having to live out of town. It’s a good job I enjoy it. Like the above posters have said it is or can be hard on the body. “There’s a lot of jobs out there that can beat ya up” all in all no regrets here!

OP
A

Adkjake

FNG
Wow thank you guys for all the great replies. I guess I’m contemplating this change because I really don’t know if what I’m doing now is actually what I want to do. I don’t really fit the mold of a biologist. I’m more of a working type and less of an academic.

I think I’m going to finish my current contract, through the fall and then get in contact with my local co-op. The guy I met and spoke with gave me all the contact info and is going to help me through the application process.

What would you guys recommend for the application process as far as resumes and interview advice?

Kaseman

FNG
My opinion, other peoples may very. I’d say just the generic be 10 mins early. learn a few trade terms and for SURE don’t be a know it all. Give past work and life experience. It’s one of those trades you will learn over time and not in the first year. Just be open to learn...I guess that’s why it’s a 4 year apprenticeship. I learn everyday! There’s a lot of knowledge out there, seek it out. “Squeaky wheel gets the grease” ohh and I wouldn’t wear a suit and tie to a line interview! Lol

OP
A

Adkjake

FNG
My opinion, other peoples may very. I’d say just the generic be 10 mins early. learn a few trade terms and for SURE don’t be a know it all. Give past work and life experience. It’s one of those trades you will learn over time and not in the first year. Just be open to learn...I guess that’s why it’s a 4 year apprenticeship. I learn everyday! There’s a lot of knowledge out there, seek it out. “Squeaky wheel gets the grease” ohh and I wouldn’t wear a suit and tie to a line interview! Lol

Thanks man! Would it be a stretch to get an apprenticeship without going to line school first? The kid I spoke with suggested not going to line school.

Consider a career as a construction inspector for a water/wastewater engineering firm. Around here (Indiana) you’d start around $20/hr and have a long career. Get to be outside too.

That’s actually what my wife does. Pretty decent gig.