Potential OH State Record Buck Under Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently CJ Alexander's potential Ohio state record buck has been confiscated while the incident is under investigation. This buck Green scored as the #1 Ohio typical deer and #3 in North America. Very interested to see how this one plays out. Really hoping that the dude killed it legit and this is just someone being petty or jealous but who knows.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/cj-alexander-buck-poaching-investigation/

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
Can't wait to see how this turns out. Im hoping this is just a big misunderstanding. The hunting community doesn't need bad publicity anymore than it already gets. If he did take this buck illegally he is pretty bold because he has done podcasts talking about this deer. My guess is if he knew he was doing something wrong we would have never heard of this deer.

WCB

WKR
Can't wait to see how this turns out. Im hoping this is just a big misunderstanding. The hunting community doesn't need bad publicity anymore than it already gets. If he did take this buck illegally he is pretty bold because he has done podcasts talking about this deer. My guess is if he knew he was doing something wrong we would have never heard of this deer.
Dude in MN shot a 190" 8pt and made up stories about shooting it with a bow. DNR concluded it was shot with a firearm. Guy was on parole for domestic stuff couldn't own a firearm. Also already tagged a buck that year or shot one and didn't tag it and failed to report a doe.

Guys that poach aren't really the brightest in the bunch. I mean Spook Span killed a deer on video illegally then shared the footage.

Dude in MN shot a 190" 8pt and made up stories about shooting it with a bow. DNR concluded it was shot with a firearm. Guy was on parole for domestic stuff couldn't own a firearm. Also already tagged a buck that year or shot one and didn't tag it and failed to report a doe.

Guys that poach aren't really the brightest in the bunch. I mean Spook Span killed a deer on video illegally then shared the footage.
Facts.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I hope he killed it legally and ethically and is acquitted if he did it right. Such an awesome animal deserves to be celebrated with fond memories.

Yoder

WKR
Keeps evidence from coming up missing for one.
I've just experiences the Game Commission in PA overstepping our constitutional rights. We had them search our cabin once and had everyone show them our guns. No search warrant or motive. Another time I was pulled over and searched at a roadblock because I was a hunter. Made me pull my rifle out the the camper I was towing to show it was unloaded and checked to see if I killed anything. No probable cause. I bothers me the put the value of animals higher that the rights of people.

This case doesn't seem like rocket science. Can they prove he killed it on property he wasn't allowed to hunt? That should take a few hours at best. Can they prove he shot it with whatever weapon was legal at the time? Also seems pretty easy. Not sure if you could ever tell the difference between crossbow and bow. I'm thinking a few days at most. Anytime anyone kills a giant buck all kinds of jealous whiners come out of the woodwork. I hope this guy is legit.

Long Cut

WKR
What I’ve HEARD about this buck, is that multiple landowners had dozens of pictures of this deer. Then CJ shoots it and tells everyone he shot it something like 20-30 miles away from where folks had pictures of this buck- Less than 8 hours before CJ killed this buck.
*Edit* The Landowners caught wind of this deers death, probably social media… And told the DNR to investigate CJ, as I guess the landowners had enough land & reason to believe that CJ had poached this buck*

Can a buck travel 20-30 miles in something like 6-8 hours?

I’ve no clue. Guess we’ll let the professionals handle that.

Last edited:
What I’ve HEARD about this buck, is that multiple landowners had dozens of pictures of this deer. Then CJ shoots it and tells everyone he shot it something like 20-30 miles away from where folks had pictures of this buck- Less than 8 hours before CJ killed this buck.

Well if this info comes to hold any water it definitely adds a layer of stink to the situation. Hearsay at best for the moment but time will tell though…

Yoder

WKR

Why would anyone ever tell anybody where they killed a giant buck? I wouldn't even tell them what county I was in unless asked by a Game Warden. People get crazy with big deer, who knows. I'm not that invested in the story and have no idea who the guy is.

I've just experiences the Game Commission in PA overstepping our constitutional rights. We had them search our cabin once and had everyone show them our guns. No search warrant or motive. Another time I was pulled over and searched at a roadblock because I was a hunter. Made me pull my rifle out the the camper I was towing to show it was unloaded and checked to see if I killed anything. No probable cause. I bothers me the put the value of animals higher that the rights of people.

This case doesn't seem like rocket science. Can they prove he killed it on property he wasn't allowed to hunt? That should take a few hours at best. Can they prove he shot it with whatever weapon was legal at the time? Also seems pretty easy. Not sure if you could ever tell the difference between crossbow and bow. I'm thinking a few days at most. Anytime anyone kills a giant buck all kinds of jealous whiners come out of the woodwork. I hope this guy is legit.

There's always people saying stuff about big deer.

When it gets confiscated after the fact like this, you can be pretty certain it's not based on just hearsay. It doesn't mean he's guilty, but they have pretty sources at that point and are securing evidence. You always want as much evidence as possible.

You don't need to let GW into your house/cabin. Despite what everyone thinks, they still need a warrant just like everyone else. They can be on your property, but not in your dwelling. It's Open Field Doctrine, allows them on property, but not in it.

I'm tired of poachers. If I'm out exercising my right to hunt and get checked by a warden I don't worry about it.

Long Cut

WKR
Why would anyone ever tell anybody where they killed a giant buck? I wouldn't even tell them what county I was in unless asked by a Game Warden. People get crazy with big deer, who knows. I'm not that invested in the story and have no idea who the guy is.
From my understanding, he was ratted out by the landowners with pictures of this deer.

When questioned by DNR, the location he told them and where the landowners had pictures of this buck were like I said- something along the lines of 20-30 miles apart.

Again all hear-say at this point. Time will tell.

Long Cut

WKR

Here’s a podcast where CJ talks about killing the buck in question. This takes place BEFORE he was investigated.

Another weird aspect is he claims to have shot the buck at 10:30AM, but every picture of him with the buck is at night.
I’ll let you decide.

RS3579

WKR

PA game commission sucks. Your considered guilty the second they see you.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
PA game commission sucks. Your considered guilty the second they see you.
The pa game commission can be hit or miss I’ve met some great wardens and retired wardens but I’ve also met some that I hope to never see again. Ultimately though I can’t say to this point any of them have ever fined me but that’s not to say the ones I’m discussing we’re not a pain to deal with. At the end of the day though for what they make in comparison to state troopers I can’t say I’d be thrilled about going to work either. I think you get that in all facets of life no different than in car sales, management or the banking industry.

Now getting back to the thread. My brother shot a giant here in pa. As of the last time I checked he holds the #1 buck in buck masters for pa. He shot it 100% legally on a friend of ours land. I was expecting the game commission to show up and look into it because a bunch of pansies who probably hunt two days a year started squwaking saying it was poached and it was shot on someone else’s land. Which neither of the two allegations are true. The gc never did show up much to my surprise. The moral of the story is people get jealous over big bucks and it’s for the best to keep anything you do quiet because at the end of the day people are jealous pigs and instead of being happy for someone else’s success they are ass holes about it. Which is the exact reason why they are typically not successful themselves. In my brothers case if the people who were making false allegations would spend less time on Facebook looking at pictures of others deer and more time scouting/knocking on doors they could have easily had a shot at this buck. As a matter of fact the family who allow my brother and I to hunt their small piece of property were he shot it would have let just about anyone hunt there. I know that for fact.

In the end I hope the kid shot this legally but in reality if he didn’t I hope he wasn’t dumb enough or ego driven enough to poach it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.