Potential OH State Record Buck Under Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tennessee passed a law last year that helped hunters from being harassed by TWRA. The ruling means that if wildlife officers want to investigate a potential game violation on private property, they first need a court-ordered warrant. While many view this as an affirmation of private property privileges guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, others are concerned it may hinder the enforcement of rules meant to protect public wildlife.
In the lawsuit the land owners were finding trail cameras placed on their property by the GW.

Scottyboy

WKR

Here’s a podcast where CJ talks about killing the buck in question. This takes place BEFORE he was investigated.

Another weird aspect is he claims to have shot the buck at 10:30AM, but every picture of him with the buck is at night.
I’ll let you decide.

I thought all the time ‘stuff’ was weird too. He didn’t have his phone to check the time as he claimed in a podcast (assuming no watch, otherwise why make that statement). Says he made a bad shot and had to recover him the following day. So from AM to late PM the following day..?? I hope it’s legit but like others I have basically no info than what I’m reading after seeing this post and being curious..

Guess I'm an outlier. I hope he did poach it and gets the long shaft of the law. One quick look at his instagram where he posts gym selfies and tags the Bowmars tells you he's just another aspiring influencer wannabe. The type that is ruining hunting and hunting opportunities. I hope Ohio DNR makes a legendary example out of him so all the other aspiring "kill at all costs" influencers will take notice.

It is obvious rigor mortis has not yet set in, so his statement that he killed it earlier in the day, and waited for his friend's girlfriend to get off work later that night to use her high quality camera to take this pic, is a lie. This deer was killed not long before this pic was taken.

1704040887169.png

1704040914426.png

I would bet that someone posted trail cam pictures of the deer and this guy knew/found out where they were from so he got in there to shoot that buck.

If it was all above the board, there wouldn't be much of an investigation.

Scottyboy

WKR
Guess I'm an outlier. I hope he did poach it and gets the long shaft of the law. One quick look at his instagram where he posts gym selfies and tags the Bowmars tells you he's just another aspiring influencer wannabe. The type that is ruining hunting and hunting opportunities. I hope Ohio DNR makes a legendary example out of him so all the other aspiring "kill at all costs" influencers will take notice.
I think everyone agrees if poached, he’s f’d. I believe the fine will be ~31k.

It is obvious rigor mortis has not yet set in, so his statement that he killed it earlier in the day, and waited for his friend's girlfriend to get off work later that night to use her high quality camera to take this pic, is a lie. This deer was killed not long before this pic was taken.

View attachment 649743

View attachment 649744
Good call on rigor! Unless the shot was so terrible that it took 10+ hours for him to die and then somehow magically find him the next day? 🤨

Sled

WKR

View attachment 649743

View attachment 649744

Just remember that rigor mortis usually completes it's process about 8 hours after death. Temps can cause other issues though.

bpurtz

WKR
I would bet that F&G has some pretty good evidence if they confiscated the animal, but they might still have a difficult time proving guilt. There is a 394" Oregon record book Cascade Roosevelt archery bull that had a lot of rumors surrounding how it was killed. 2 years later the "hunter" killed another giant (360"+) and similar rumors swirled until officials found the carcass on private property with a bullet hole in the scapula. The 2nd bull was confiscated, but a year later returned and no charges filed. I did a public records request on the case and the circumstantial evidence left no doubt of poaching. They just didn't have enough to convict...

Last edited:

Here’s a podcast where CJ talks about killing the buck in question. This takes place BEFORE he was investigated.

Another weird aspect is he claims to have shot the buck at 10:30AM, but every picture of him with the buck is at night.
I’ll let you decide.
I normally side with the hunter that killed the buck when rumors start flying, until all the facts are out. In this case, after watching this interview, something just seems off with his story.

Long Cut

WKR
Agreed.
Being a land owner, if I had watched a deer grow to that caliber only to be poached out from under myself and other law abiding hunters… I’d be livid.

IF this kid did indeed poach this buck, which it seems that is the case now, I hope they drag him through the coals.

Why would anyone ever tell anybody where they killed a giant buck? I wouldn't even tell them what county I was in unless asked by a Game Warden. People get crazy with big deer, who knows. I'm not that invested in the story and have no idea who the guy is.
You have to brag on the gram for likes and follows!

Swamp Fox

WKR
Isn't that how they investigate?

Don't they seize property to investigate crime?
Please re-think this.

Gov't confiscation and forfeiture rules are highly abused, and game wardens have or recruit law enforcement powers that most people would not tolerate in a different setting.

To your point that "I don't have anything to hide" : That's not the point.

F&S and OL have ****** up enough on big deer stories lately that I want to advise caution, but there it is ...

fwafwow

WKR
Please re-think this.

Gov't confiscation and forfeiture rules are highly abused, and game wardens have or recruit law enforcement powers that most people would not tolerate in a different setting.

F&S and OL have ****** up enough on big deer stories lately that I want to advise caution, but there it is ...
Could they have confiscated the deer to determine whether it might have been killed with a rifle?

Swamp Fox

WKR
Could they have confiscated the deer to determine whether it might have been killed with a rifle?
I guess you could confiscate anything for any reason, if you are the gov't.

Cameras and a full-day poke-around by forensics experts answer a lot of questions before the State "has to" take property from you.

Reactions: 9.1
Please re-think this.

I'm saying it's how investigations are done.

If the dude didn't brag about it, I doubt anything would have come of it.

Wildlife is different than your personal property, you need a tag, it's property of the state that you get to "own" when it's harvested correctly.

Yoder

WKR
PA game commission sucks. Your considered guilty the second they see you.
My best PA Game Commission story. I was 13 yrs old. We were doing a deer drive. Me, my dad and two other guys were driving and three guys were sitting. About two minutes into the drive, my dad had a small doe jump up in front of him. He shot twice and dropped it. We left it where it was and finished the drive. We all met up and were walking back to the parking lot to drop off our stuff so we could go back and get the deer. As we got closer we hear a bunch of radios. When we got to the parking lot there were four Game commission trucks. They immediately started yelling at us to put our guns down on the truck. A couple had the hand ready to draw. All our guns were already unloaded. I'm a 13 yr old kid. I don't know WTF they were thinking. We all complied. They asked if we shot anything. My dad told them about the doe, and how we were going back to tag it and drag it out. What happened was someone was driving by and heard shots and a bear ran across the road. They reported we were shooting at a bear. So these retards just about did a felony stop on us over some random report we were shooting at a bear. My old man was awesome. Once the whole incident was figured out and we had the deer in the truck, my dad proceeded to rip them all a new ass. I wish I had the whole thing on video. They were so over the top crazy, you would have thought we robbed a bank.

Fordguy

WKR
What I’ve HEARD about this buck, is that multiple landowners had dozens of pictures of this deer. Then CJ shoots it and tells everyone he shot it something like 20-30 miles away from where folks had pictures of this buck- Less than 8 hours before CJ killed this buck.
*Edit* The Landowners caught wind of this deers death, probably social media… And told the DNR to investigate CJ, as I guess the landowners had enough land & reason to believe that CJ had poached this buck*

Can a buck travel 20-30 miles in something like 6-8 hours?

I’ve no clue. Guess we’ll let the professionals handle that.
A buck "could" easily travel 20-30 miles in 6-8 hours. I've ridden 20-30 miles on a horse in 2 hours +/-. Check AERC LD records if you have doubts. Is it likely that a buck travels that distance in that time span? Not in my experience.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread has went off the rails.

Rokslide isn't here for you guys to speculate and help spread rumors, that's what your personal Facebook page is for.

You guys are pretty damn quick to pick up the torches and burn someone at the stake before all the FACTS surface.

When fish and game has released thier finding maybe we'll circle back to this discussion

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.