Potential Relocation Areas

Well this COVID-19 deal has given me lots of down time recently, so I’ve actually taken the time to start researching some areas to relocate to after I complete my degree.

I’m originally from Florida, heavy into fishing, joined the military blah blah blah, moved to Virginia, came to California did some stuff, moved to Georgia, got out and moved back to California for school.

As you can see I’ve lived in a “variety” of locations, I’ve also visited a lot of different very beautiful areas of the country.

A couple spots that stuck out were Flagstaff, and Campbell County TN. Yes I know polar opposites!

Anyone have any experience living in these areas? Or similar areas? Pros/cons?

I’ll be graduating with a BSN, so finding work shouldn’t be too difficult.

Well at least you’ve got to live in some different areas to know what you like and don’t like. Tennessee is pretty. I lived in eastern Kentucky after I got out of school for a few years that was an experience! Now all I think about is getting back to Wyoming!

Go west young man.
I lived in Flagstaff several years in the 70's going to NAU...got a electrical engineering degree there. It was a great place then but now its pretty crowded (by my standards anyway). Also very expensive. But great weather.

If I had it to do over again I'd go to:
1.Alaska
2. Montana

Tennesse is a great place for an outdoorsman
I’d look at Chattanooga area, or middle Tennessee around Cookeville is a great spot. Fishing for world class small smouth is close by, great deer and turkey, you could do a short drive and be in the Smokey mtns and giving black bear hunting a go!

When I was in school in flagstaff in the early 90’s it was my dream to get back there someday. Now it’s so crowded that if I got a job there I’d probably live in Williams and commute.

When I was in school in flagstaff in the early 90’s it was my dream to get back there someday. Now it’s so crowded that if I got a job there I’d probably live in Williams and commute.

I actually lived/worked in Williams and commuted to Flag for about a year. Around 1977
Just curious....Where did you end up?

You need to give a lot more details to get any really helpful feedback. I'm a BSN in Grand Junction, CO and love living here for the great outdoor opportunities (of all kinds) in every direction.

I would prioritize career over location for at least the first 2 years. If you have debt/loans find somewhere where the pay:cost of living ratio is high. Look at patient ratios, they really suck in non-progressive states. After that you can do travel contracts if you so desire.

If the Covid-19 doesn’t screw things up, I’ll be moving back to Flagstaff in the Fall. Yeah, it’s more crowded compared to my NAU days, but after spending the last 28+ years in the heat here in the Phoenix metro, I don’t care! Lol

The weather is great. Monsoon season brings almost daily thunderstorms. Be prepared for some epic snow storms too, Not every winter, but every so often a storm will line up perfectly with all the ingredients and you’ll wake up to 2-3 feet of snow. I believe Flagstaff‘s normal snowfall is over 100” for the season. At 7000 feet, the winters are long and cold. If you’re into gardening, the growing season is short!

Lots of high country fishing within 15-30 minutes SE of town. With many more a few hours east. Lake Powell to the north for more fishing. Good hunting in any direction with OTC archery deer. Elk country all around, but tags are draw. Tons of trails all around the region. Outdoor activities are unlimited.

Flagstaff Medical Center is a fairly large hospital so you should have no issue finding work.

As mentioned, Flagstaff is expensive! Cost of living is much higher compared to many places in the state. A decent 3 bedroom 2 bath house will be over 400K.

Good luck!

I went to NAU graduated in '89 with a BA in Business, Saw a bunch of snow, but the wind in the spring time is awful, I had an opportunity to stay and go to grad school, but didn't want to deal with the wind.

But, I damn sure wouldn't want TN, so I guess it would be Flagstaff

The wife and I were just talking about moving to Arizona specifically the flagstaff area. Currently working as a flight nurse and don’t have plans on giving that up anytime soon but I also don’t mind a couple hour commute for 24 hr shifts. I’ve been trying to talk her into Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming but she is not a cold fan and she wants to be close to warmer weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife has her BSN...living here in the SF Bay Area.

I can't comment on your priorities......you do have the option to chose an area with relatively low cost of living and still be highly paid. Thats not the case typically with low cost of living areas.

Be careful of some of those back woods low cost areas....many times there is a dirty underbelly of meth and drug users that migrate to those spots just because its cheap to live. Some beautiful spots in Nor Cal are like that- like just outside of Redding.

________

You need to give a lot more details to get any really helpful feedback. I'm a BSN in Grand Junction, CO and love living here for the great outdoor opportunities (of all kinds) in every direction.

I would prioritize career over location for at least the first 2 years. If you have debt/loans find somewhere where the pay:cost of living ratio is high. Look at patient ratios, they really suck in non-progressive states. After that you can do travel contracts if you so desire.

Luckily I will have zero debt, I’m using the GI Bill. To be honest I’m not sure where I want to work as a nurse, I’m leaning heavily towards trauma as it would be a natural progression for me from my job in the military.

Figured I’d give it a few years until I make the decision to move on to flight, anesthetist, or NP. For me a sense of autonomy is important, and I’ve worked side by side for a few years with all of the above. I came to appreciate the high level of critical thinking involved with those three specialties (not that RNs don’t critical think, but I’m sure you know what I mean).

The wife and I were just talking about moving to Arizona specifically the flagstaff area. Currently working as a flight nurse and don’t have plans on giving that up anytime soon but I also don’t mind a couple hour commute for 24 hr shifts. I’ve been trying to talk her into Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming but she is not a cold fan and she wants to be close to warmer weather.

I’m with you with the commuting. If you don’t mind me asking where are you living now? My wife has the same hesitations to move to an area without warm beaches.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Smash.. If you wife likes the warmer areas but you like the mountains and are considering AZ then look at Showlow area. They have at least 2 air ambulance companies that service mostly the rural areas of eastern AZ. The weather is close to flagstaff but a much smaller town and cheaper living as Flagstaff real estate has skyrockets out of sight. I live about 75 miles from Showlow and carry the insurance from PHI Air Medical just because of the rural area I live. Flagstaff and Showlow areas are high elevation area and some people consider them cold but if youre from the midwest or north then these area are probably mild to you.

Hey Smash.. If you wife likes the warmer areas but you like the mountains and are considering AZ then look at Showlow area. They have at least 2 air ambulance companies that service mostly the rural areas of eastern AZ. The weather is close to flagstaff but a much smaller town and cheaper living as Flagstaff real estate has skyrockets out of sight. I live about 75 miles from Showlow and carry the insurance from PHI Air Medical just because of the rural area I live. Flagstaff and Showlow areas are high elevation area and some people consider them cold but if youre from the midwest or north then these area are probably mild to you.[/QUOTE]

I will look into that. I currently work for Air Methods and we have a base opening in Payson. I don’t think it will happen quickly but I have been gathering info and appreciate the input.

Flagstaff is a novel idea, believe me it crossed my mind too. The pay is the same as places that cost 66-75% as much to live in, and the job market is competitive because it is such a coveted destination. Maybe some day I will try to swing a contract down there, and maybe it would be a great place to get started if you don't plan to live there long term.

If you want to go the Trauma/Flights/CRNA route you will want to start in an ICU, or in an intermediate unit to fast track moving to ICU. Not every hospital is going to hire new grads into the ICU, in fact many won't.

Last tidbit - It sure seems these days that there is almost no point to going NP unless it is truly a calling. The job market will be over-saturated by the time you complete school, you work longer hours and have more responsibilities, but don't get enough of a pay increase. Now CRNA...that is a big pay increase.

Back