Powdered Eggs

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions on powdered eggs for the backcountry? We picked up some "It's just whole egg protein" and it's just pretty terrible. Can't get over the texture of runny eggs.

Maybe this crap is supposed to be cooked?? haha I just treated it like a mountain house meal and dumped boiling water into it.

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Just fried a bit up. Definitely improved things. Maybe that's what needs to be done with all of them?? I still wouldn't say that they are wonderful though.

Are there any that you can just add water to that resemble real scrambled eggs?

Clarence

WKR
I mix them in a zip lock, and the fry them. There is a bunch of eggs in one of those little pouches.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
MH scrambled eggs have been the most fail-safe for me, when it comes to passable scrambbled eggs. I buy the #10 cans and repackage.

Ova Easy seems best of the others, although I have had really good scrambled eggs from whole egg powder. The guy who made them added Nido powdered milk, but he must have had some other trick, because I can't reproduce them.

One trick I have learned is to make dehydrated eggs with dehydrated hash browns from the grocery store (like the Hungry Jack carton or Idahoan pouches). Prepare separately and combine when done. Makes a great tortilla filling, and the potatoes help cover for eggs that turn out less than great.

seanu21

FNG
Just ordered some OvaEasy from Amazon. Hadn't tried them yet. Hopefully they are as good as touted here! Thanks for the ideas fellas. I'm new here and enjoying this backcountry food forum. So many ideas and foods I'd never heard of.