Preferred Camo for Predator/Varmint?

Trying to get into the predator sphere…doing a lot of hog. I have a lot of multicam (work related)…is it good enough for predator or do I need to plan on another pattern?

Spike elk

WKR
You should be good to go. In my experience camo is not that important. I have killed lots of coyotes in Carhartt bibs and a flannel jacket. Movement is what will give you up. Unless there is snow I generally go with Carhartt pants and grab a jacket to go over a warm hoody. Most of my jackets are camo of some sort.

That'll work just make sure you've got a good hide. Something to hide behind or some good back cover. Never hunted hogs but from what I know they don't have great eyesight, you mostly have to worry about them catching your wind.

Ditto on the movement. I think the thing that really upped my success rate in recent years is having a solid, comfortable chair, and a solid rest. I've been using low folding chairs like a camp chair but only a few inches off the ground. Like a turkey chair. The more comfortable you are the less you will squirm around. Having a rest at the proper height so that you can just move in behind the scope when something comes in helps reduce movement too.

For camo i have the under armour stuff but I'm sure any pattern you have will work fine. just make sure you have a good backdrop and you aren't skylining yourself or standing out oddly. When the snow flies i switch to some True Timber white coverups. Just thin white material that is baggy enough to go over comfortable warm clothes.

IDMilton

FNG
I will echo what everyone else has been saying about staying in the shadows and holding still and wearing a face mask.
In the winter I usually wear all white and the rest of the year wear something from Cabela’s that I think is called outfitters camo? It is very light tans and browns and seems to work well.

Nmhybridhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Movement and wind are the big things I focus on with just about any type of hunting. If still hunting I do sit near something that will break up my outline and try not to leave yourself on a skyline. I think camo does help you blend and I normally wear it but other things come first. I also am a fan of a face mask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO, it’s a lot like hunting for ducks. Think about edges. You want to eliminate, or reduce as much as possible, your edges. So camo can help that for sure, given the right conditions. But as others have said, when trying to get on a yote movement is what will spook them quickest (assumes wind isnt kicking your butt). Try to figure out what you look like from 50-100 yards away, and that will help a lot. good luck.

TheGDog

WKR
Thin, not as hot to wear Leafy suits, or mesh ghillie suits, they work amazingly well. Biggest thing is to cover your stands-out like a sore-thumb pink skin of face and hands. (And now some of us have white hairs all over our faces too HA!) And movement when not in the shade? Stands out super bad. Also remember to think about your watch! If not covered-up by your sleeve.... that sunlight reflecting off the face of the watch when you're manipulating the remote for an eCaller (AND the sunlight possibly reflecting off the glass of the remote itself).

When I'm going into a new area and I don't know the coloration I'll find, I tend to use my Natural Gear camo pants, that's based more on greys and such (and bring both of the mesh ghillies, since they're so lightweight). Then after I've been there and know whether a Woodland coloration or a Desert coloration would be better, then I'll change up accordingly.

My favorite piece of gear? My leafy boonie hat! It's the lightest and most comfortable and best at letting the heat out and not cooking my head. I've even had a small bird land upon my head while wearing that leafy boonie last year during deer season! The way it changes the recognizable shape of your head is invaluable.

When I'm all done up in the leafy, I routinely get hummingbirds curiously investigating "this bush" inches from my face!

After 45 minutes of holding my rifle at the ready on this narrow POV while on this one set for Bobcat... I began to stand up (in full leafyu) and realize Oh Snap! There's a Bobcat right there 8yds away! Thankfully I froze mid-standup, then slowly raised the rest of the way to standing. He was laying upon the ground focused on the decoy, eyes slightly obscured by low-lying rabbit brush, so he totally didn't see me. Even after he caught my scent in the air and looked around for me. He saw "this bush" standing there (frozen still of course) and he took a long time of staring at it before he finally decided he didn't trust it.

With the mesh ghillie, I had a cottontail 18" from my right foot before when the wind was right! And... later on I shot that rabbit.. he's laying dead at my feet... as I continue to focus on this one area in front of me. Then I turn my head to look over my shoulder to scan around me and I'm like "Oh Hello!" a doe, maybe 25yds away! She feeds and nibbles until she finally gets behind me and catches my wind and smells that freshly killed rabbit and she books it pronto!

If you're going into a Desert Arid landscape... the Kill suit Mesh Ghillie they sell on allpredatorcalls.com is AWESOME! But with the strips of mesh... you'll need to check if bringing your weapon to bear will want to catch on the strips. I'm in Kommiefornia and so I have to use the very "Bruno" Thorsden customs stock for my AR... when using that AR I can't use the mesh suits because the way the butt of the stock is, it'll want to catch and tangle the strips some times. There's ways around it, such as making sure the weapon is being held at the ready above these garments on your underarm and side area of the body. But that's kind of a PITA to have to do.

Big thing is always remember to back yourself up into some shade whenever possible. Get all settled in and comfortable to where you've stopped being fidgety... before you begin calling. Also have your shooting rest setup already such that it's height puts your crosshairs able to easily be drawn upon your caller or decoy before you even begin calling, to make sure you're already ready when the opportunity comes.

MBAlex

FNG
I hunt cattle fields alot along the edges. I use alot of tan and earth coloured solids in fall, spring, and summer. I find it blends in very well in hayfields etc and haven’t felt the need for camo in these seasons. The only time I will use camo is when there is alot of snow on the ground and then I will go for lighter patterns, obviously.

Jakelly

FNG
I like predator camo. Large bold camo helps break up your shape at extended ranges.