Prepping for a Float Trip

OneGunTex

FNG
Seen a few threads about doing float hunts (typically in Alaska) and pack rafts, but nothing about prepping for a float hunt.

Some buddies and I are thinking about doing a canoe-based float hunt for deer in the midwest. Essentially, we think we can get access to a lot of national forest so far from a road that the deer have rarely been hunted.

What should we be considering in preparation for this hunt, that we might not be thinking about if it were a backpack hunt? I saw a comment once that "float trips arent the cake walk you think they're gonna be" but no explanation why.

Mods please move if there's a better forum for this

You guys know how to canoe and canoe camp? If so, it really is quite a bit easier than backpack hunting IMO, and more plush. If you're not an experienced canoer you can get into trouble fast. I'd say (1) know how to canoe (2) know the river (3) rig to flip. That'll keep you out of serious trouble. Other than that it's basically heavy-weight backpacking.

Rafting can be a bit more involved. In general, people bring way more stuff so there's a lot more specific kit, people wanna row so you need a (relatively) complicated rig, you need to tie all that stuff together, and then rowing itself can be a challenge if you're not experienced.

I’ll echo the above- just make sure you’re familiar with the craft. Canoes can be kind of tippy especially when loaded. Your weight as low in the boat as you can and make sure it’s not going to shift on you. Also practice some flipped boat drills.

I have never canoe hunted but have done tons of river canoeing in the Ozarks, including with two little kids, and even in the winter months. I tend to pack way too much because I think I can. And then you have to prepare to flip, so all or most your gear goes in dry bags, and I lose track of what is in which bag. My advice, pack a couple few luxury items, maybe warmer bag/pad, bigger shelter and/or stove, but after that use your regular kit. You want to spend your time hunting or resting, not cooking a gourmet meal, or fiddling with new gear, or cutting firewood. Simplicity is deadly.

I'm in SW MO and think people are doing this. My cousin has the itch and brings it up sometimes. The other curve ball in our area is gigging season. The jet boats are out there finding holes to gig at night. Then some will set up and cook the fresh fish on gravel bars.
It will be a good experience but the deer have adapted to humans along the rivers.

one reason float trips seem tough is making and breaking camp many times. you frequently have to make time to be somewhere for pick up. add handling 350lbs of meat to that and ........

a deer trip is a chip shot, just plan on the meat handling. if it is warm have ice at the pickup point.

i have a bud that sends me a pic of a deer in his canoe every year.

In my opinion there are not a lot of midwest places that haven't been "discovered". I've had a couple of different failed attempts at sneaking into undiscovered honey-holes by canoe. I almost always ran into other hunters or sign that others had my bright idea before me. Good luck if you go!

A few days after Christmas we watched a Missouri muzzleloader hunter flip his canoe in a riffle. They were camped around the bend from us. It is my perspective that folks are doing this pretty regularly.

You guys know how to canoe and canoe camp? If so, it really is quite a bit easier than backpack hunting IMO, and more plush. If you're not an experienced canoer you can get into trouble fast. I'd say (1) know how to canoe (2) know the river (3) rig to flip. That'll keep you out of serious trouble. Other than that it's basically heavy-weight backpacking.

Rafting can be a bit more involved. In general, people bring way more stuff so there's a lot more specific kit, people wanna row so you need a (relatively) complicated rig, you need to tie all that stuff together, and then rowing itself can be a challenge if you're not experienced.
Ah gotcha I understand. Yes, between the group we are experienced canoers and have good familiarity with the area.

As for all the people who say there are no untouched deer in the Midwest, i'm sure you're right. But I'm sure deer that take 2 days in a boat to reach have been harassed less than those within a mile or two of a parking lot, so we'll give it a try.

Knowing your way around a canoe and having knowledge of the area, why not? Sounds like fun summer scouting, maybe set a stand or two in out of the way areas and have fun. If it’s a bust, you had fun trying.

I would load the boats up with gear and do a summer scouting/fishing trip to learn the stretch of water and scout for camp locations. Also need to consider rain/snow fall depending on what time of year y'all plan to do your hunt. Could be flood stage or could be dry and low. Just a thought

Managing the meat ... Out west, we do without ice when it takes a day or two to get out of the wilderness on a horse. Cool the meat by open hanging at night and then keep it covered/insulated during the day. Coldest part of the boat ride during a daytime exfil may be the bottom of the boat in contact with the water.

+1 on the take less than you can, much much less.
Maybe plan camp locations so you can set up in the dark.
Depending on actual hunt dates, figure out how to rewarm once you get soaked.
Do State rules allow you to shoot from the boat?

Have good quality properly sized pfd's (life jackets) that are intended for swift water use and actually wear them regardless of whatever the regulations are for where you will be canoeing. It's all fun and games until you are suddenly swimming in a river.

One other tip; If this works out for you DO NOT post pictures or a success story post disclosing anything about your trip or location. River trips are getting just as oversubscribed as hunts are these days.

Be prepared for everything to go in the water, including you. Water temps at the end of deer season could cause dangerous situations fast if you aren't prepared.

Tie your stuff together, and have one end of the string tied to the boat, but don't worry about tying everything down tight in the boat. If you tip a canoe, recovery becomes a lot more work if the weight off all the gear is still in the boat. With it all tied together you can get the boat recovered, then reload the string of gear.

I'd pack gear like a backpacking trip, leaving plenty of freebaord for the weight of the deer and still being able to maneuver the canoe. Make sure you have a canoe suitable for the water you plan to paddle.

Floated by several deer at close range while drifting down the river. I was usually fishing, and always told myself "Man if I had a gun or bow that would have been a gimme."

Back