PRK yay or nay?

24 yrs for me, have slipped to 20/20, no issue with dry eyes, but have always needed sunglasses on sunny days, but they are better for everyones eyes. Best 4 grand i ever spent.

Another thumbs up for PRK. Had it done 10 years ago. It took about a month for vision to settle. I had to use hydrating drops for a couple months. No issues with dry eyes after that. Vision is 20/20 currently. Like many have said, no brainer if it’s free, and best money I’ve spent.

I've worn glasses since 2000 and I'm in the same boat as you and am absolutely tired of trying to glass comfortably with glasses on. I end up resting them around my neck or on top of the binos if it's a quick look. Also sick of my glasses falling down my face while trying to do literally anything..

Currently on the wait-list since base is in between Drs right now. (My vision hasn't changed much if at all since 2016) I know quite a few folks who've had it done. And 5 years after they were still good to go. Had a 35 yr ol buddy get it down 6 months ago and he still says it's the second best decision he's made (1st is the vasectomy)

Absolutely yay. Had lasik 25 years ago. I knew there was an E on the top line of the chart but couldn’t read it without glasses or contacts. If they had billed me a second time it would be worth paying.

Had it done 2 years ago and like others have said it has been great! I would say most people regardless will end of in reading glasses at some point in their life whether they have surgery or not because that is just how our body ages. From what I have been told, my long distance should stay the same as it is now with the correction and only the reading distance will be affected.

As for dryness, mine were dry for a 2-3 months afterwards, but now 2 years after they only get dry when I'm at the cabin after a few days and running the woodstove. Couple of drops in the eyes before bed and I have no issues at all.

I had very little pain and followed the doctor's directions to a T afterwards (Stay in dark room for first 24 hours, no phone/tv for 4 days, keep eye's closed and sleep as much as possible for the first 4 days and all of the eye drops needed as per persribed). As for the sensitivity to light, I had it within the first 6 months, but was ordered to wear sunglasses anytime outside up until the end of the first year. Now I have no problem walking outside without sunglasses and no sensitivity.

Last edited:
A few buddies had lasik done over 10 years ago. None are back in corrective lenses, but we're all 49 or older and need readers now.

Its amazing how fast your close up vision deteriorates with age. I'm still 20/20 or better at distance, but a foot in front of my face can be challenging. Really noticing it this year trying to tie hooks when fishing. I've never had corrective lenses.

Is PRK the same as lasik? I only know two hunters who've had lasik and both are back in corrective lenses. One is maybe 60 years old the other 35.
My story is I got Lasik in 2004. My prescription wasn't that strong but I had dry eyes from contacts so I decided to get Lasik from King in Seattle, who was later the target of a murder plot by his partner Murder plot.
At the time, I was 40 and my eye doctor said that being near-sighted would work to my advantage later in life and if I had Lasik, I would increase the likelihood of needing reading glasses later.
Well, 18 years later, my vision became slightly blurry at distance, which bothered me more in my dominant eye for shooting.
I called around and was told that in my late fifties, my cornea was too thin for Lasik and that PRK or RKT was the only two choices.
I called King who did my surgery in 2004 and they offered to do a 'tune-up' for returning customers for $500, which was a quarter of what I was quoted at other clinics. I went in and got a pre-op exam and was warned that the recovery time and discomfort for PRK was going to be a lot more than what I had experienced with Lasik and I decided to go forward and was scheduled the following week for the procedure in SeaTac(Tukwila).
The morning of the procedure, I went in and saw Dr. King for the first time since he did my eyes in 2004...He did a little pre-op and at literally the last second before the procedure began, I asked him if I was a candidate for Lasik. He sat me down at that chair with the really bright light that rotates around the sides of your eyes and said he could still see the flap from the surgery 20 years earlier and he said he thinks he can raise the flap to perform Lasik. I asked if I had to come back later and he said he could do it right now, we're ready for you in the procedure room. I got a great Lasik correction with none of the discomfort and long recovery of PRK. When I told the staff at the front desk what had happened, they were incredibly happy for me to get Lasik instead of PRK.
Two years later, I'm 20/15 at distance. I do rely on readers more than before but I knew that was the tradeoff going in.
Moral of the story....See if you can get Lasik instead of PRK.

I had PRK in 2014 in the military. The deal was I had to graduate ranger school and if I did my unit would let me get the procedure. 20/15 then and still 20/15. My eyes are a bit dry when I wake up and are sensitive to bright sun, but it is well worth it. Life changing having eyes like an eagle.

I had mine several years ago now. I agree with some others who said it hurt like hell afterward. That being said I would do it again in a heartbeat.

2002 at age 18 and I have not needed correction since. I used eye drops for a few years after that. Among the best life and financial choices I've ever made.

LASIK creates a flap in the outer cornea and then they reshape the eye. PRK they rub the outer layer away and then reshape. With prk the outer layer grows back without the risk of dislocating the flap if you get hit in the eye, which can happen with lasik. But that’s what makes the recovery more difficult

PRK done bout 7 years ago and never regretted it. No issues at all. 6 months after I had it done, my son hit me in eye with a beach ball and the sharp edge took out a chunk of cornea. Had to keep it dilated for weeks so it would heal. Dr said had I had lasik, the flap may have torn off.

If you’re an outdoorsman or have kids, I’d recommend PRK over lasik. Is way more of a hassle to get done and heal, but worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m an Army Pilot. I had LASIK in 2008 and I’ve been 20/15 ever since. Not sure what you do in the military, but LASIK is approved for Army flight physicals obviously. Not sure about Navy/AF. LASIK has the advantage they can do it again if need be. (My wife had to have two surgeries.) PRK is one and done.

No experience with PRK, but I got LASIK a couple years ago and my only regret was waiting so long to do it. It’s amazing being able to wake up and see without my glasses.

Bottom line, I’d do just about anything to keep my corrected vision and not have to deal with glasses or contacts.

Had Lasik about 5 years ago - I kick myself for waiting until my mid 50's to do it.
I wore glasses since I was in 4th grade, and not having to wear them anymore and being able to see clear and crisp at distance is a blessing. At my age now - 61, I still need readers, but that was going to happen with or with out Lasik, and I knew that going in.

Let me get this straight-- to avoid having to wear glasses, you guys are having a procedure done that results in you needing to wear sunglasses??? :p:ROFLMAO:

Let me get this straight-- to avoid having to wear glasses, you guys are having a procedure done that results in you needing to wear sunglasses??? :p:ROFLMAO:
Had it done and I can go outside without sunglasses? 💁‍♂️ Although, any regular eye doctor recommends sunglasses anytime you go outside, even on cloudy days, due to it being unhealthy for your eyes.

I will note that your peripheral vision is one of the big enhancements. Out of regular glasses and sunglasses you can no see left or right outside the plane of glasses.

I’m currently debating the same between PRK and lasik. I have been leaning towards PRK due to the fact of not worrying about the flap being a risk later. Figured I rather go through a longer recovery upfront for less complications later on potentially. Though I hadn’t heard of so many people having issues with light sensitivity long term until reading the comments in this thread.

Epi lasik 15 years ago. I'm ready for a touch-up. Mostly astigmatism that was not fully corrected in the initial surgery due to the amount of correction required.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back