Problems with Sitka warranty?

Jon_G

WKR
I currently had a horrible experience with a warranty claim of a Sitka product. I wore the core lightweight hoody literally one time and the pack I was wearing has absolutely no velcro or anything I can see that can cause damage to the shirt. I took it off and there was a bunch of tears everywhere and some are even actual holes. On the pictures you may not see this well.

Anyway, Sitka said that is considered pilling and there's no way they can cover that under their warranty. I explained to them I would never try to pull a fast on them just for free products or for replacements which are one in the same. If that's the way Sitka takes care of their customers, I could never buy from them again nor consider recommending any of their stuff. Anyone else have this issue or something similar with them? I could never see stone glacier treating their customers like this.

Attachments

• 20230808_124527.jpg
    20230808_124527.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230808_124053.jpg
    20230808_124053.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 116
  • 20230808_124057.jpg
    20230808_124057.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 114

Mojave

WKR
Wool?

I have had similar experiences with wool clothing from pretty much everyone.

I don't really see clothing as a warrantable item. Wear it until you are no longer happy with it.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Wool?

I have had similar experiences with wool clothing from pretty much everyone.

I don't really see clothing as a warrantable item. Wear it until you are no longer happy with it.
Nope, not a wool item in this case.

They;ve always been good to me. I had a hat that they sent that was kinda smashed from how they packaged it. Had sort of a small indent that wasn't a big deal but did email them and said hey maybe rethink your packaging so this doesn't happen to anyone else. I'm good though just wanted to let you know. They sent me a brand new hat a week later no questions asked. That was cool (but also maybe 4 or 5 years ago). Then a year ago my chest pocket fell off my core lightweight hoody and they glued a new one on. it did eventually fall off again but the hoodie is 3 or 4 years old so i gave up.

I think with most companies they are going to call that piling and you are going to be sol. unfortunately too many try to take advantage and they have to draw a line somewhere. i have two core lightweight hoodies and several others from other brands and they all have some of that after a while from brushbusting. sorry man

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Thanks for the info. I do understand that things get old, especially when hunting through brush and what not. The thing is, I wasn't even hunting I went backpacking and wore my backpack only for like 2 hours lol. To have it turn out this nasty is definitely not on me. At least I don't think it was. And yup they got back to me after I tried to explain myself and they basically told me to **** off lmao. All of this after only wearing the stupid shirt once. I bet there are a ton of people that take advantage and therefore the rest of us pay the price lol. I won't be ordering from them any time soon. Especially with how awesome stone glacier clothing is and how great their customer service has been.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Don't buy clothing for warranty. Love their waders except it cost me as much as a spare pair to fix.

Wear it, don't worry about warranty and hunt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Those look like just about every shirt I’ve worn under my pack. It looks like crap but happens. Everything I’ve warranties with Sitka has been immediate no big deal, but I’ve only had to do it a few times. I’m a bit surprised at the push back but those all look like thread pulls from wear unfortunately.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Piling is normal, I have it all over on my Lt Wt Core Hoody but never developed into holes even after years.

I am surprised by your customer service experience. Their customer service is why I am willing to pay the higher price tag.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Piling is normal, I have it all over on my Lt Wt Core Hoody but never developed into holes even after years.

I am surprised by your customer service experience. Their customer service is why I am willing to pay the higher price tag.
I was honestly surprised too. They didn't even offer to make this a one time replacement or anything. They literally just said they couldn't do anything about it

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I was honestly surprised too. They didn't even offer to make this a one time replacement or anything. They literally just said they couldn't do anything about it
Well, I am not surprised they did not offer to replace it. There would be no point as piling is normal and the new one they sent you would do the same thing. Everyone loves the Sitka Core Lt Wt Hoody, even people who are not fans of the rest of their lineup.

Rest easy and use it and abuse it.

Twitch

WKR
I've only had 2, but they have been excellent.

One a bit of stitching was unraveling. Sent a pic and they immediately sent a replacement and a return shipping label for mine.

Another was a split at a seam. No questions replacement...

A third was an order that got lost in shipping. Weeks went by and nothing arrived. I called and they looked at tracking and said "yeah, we don't show that you've received that either. We'll send another" Received the replacement and was good to go. Then about 2 months later the first one arrived. I called them to tell them and they said keep it.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Well, I am not surprised they did not offer to replace it. There would be no point as piling is normal and the new one they sent you would do the same thing. Everyone loves the Sitka Core Lt Wt Hoody, even people who are not fans of the rest of their lineup.

Rest easy and use it and abuse it.
I understand pilling but like I said there are some spots that I can see through. Doesn't look like regular pulling to me. I get what you're saying though. Maybe it's just that they're so thin. I am going to use it and run it to the ground though lol

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an Apex hoodie and it came without the elbow pads. When I asked if they could send me a set, they sent me a new hoodie and told me I could keep both

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I've only had 2, but they have been excellent.

One a bit of stitching was unraveling. Sent a pic and they immediately sent a replacement and a return shipping label for mine.

Another was a split at a seam. No questions replacement...

A third was an order that got lost in shipping. Weeks went by and nothing arrived. I called and they looked at tracking and said "yeah, we don't show that you've received that either. We'll send another" Received the replacement and was good to go. Then about 2 months later the first one arrived. I called them to tell them and they said keep it.

I bought an Apex hoodie and it came without the elbow pads. When I asked if they could send me a set, they sent me a new hoodie and told me I could keep both
Nice! I wish they had sent me another! 😂

nickstone

WKR
I've bought a lot of Sitka stuff over the years, and had 1 warranty item experience.

It was a pair of Timberlines that had some minor waist stitching start to come unraveled.

When I contacted them, they apologized and offered me another pair, they didn't have the color I wanted so I opted to just get my money back.

IDK what happened to your shirt, but the threads pulled out look similar to what has happened to me with some FL ranger snap shirts. They snag on minor stuff really easy and it pulls the threads like that.

Mojave

WKR
Is there some official US Law that regulates implied warranties?

R.2b8a0d44fdc31dc5922f0b0c20b4207e

TheTone

WKR
I tried to buy a single gaiter from them earlier this year, had a brand new set and somehow lost one maybe blew out of my truck. They said it wasn’t possible to get just one. I thought that was pretty ridiculous

Mojave

WKR
That's like asking who's the wisest fool. AKA oxymoron. Are there unofficial laws passed?

My take on all of this is that clothing is clothing. People expect it to do something because it cost more and I think this is crazy.

A friend of mine went on a $25,000 mountain goat hunt on Kodiak. He bought Kuiu raingear, it never rained. He thought it was the best thing ever.

The next year he hunted in Mongolia similar to Wyoming. It rained like Seattle the entire trip, and it was cold.

He came back and bitched Kuiu out like he was sold a rotten sandwich at McDonalds.

Kuiu isn't Grundens, and they know it.

Having a guarantee or a warranty on clothing to me is silly. I guarantee it will cover your ass. That is about all I think you can do.

Someone on here or another forum was mad because their Yeti cup wouldn't keep something hot for 24 hours. It's a cup, it keeps it hot for the amount of time you are drinking it. I never drink anything for 24 hours, it is usually gone in 10-15 minutes.

Guarantees on consumable items are stupid.

Hence my question about some Code of Federal Regulations that ensures guarantees.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I have only had one problem out of a lot of different items. I had a casual jacket that the pocket stitching let go of. It was my fault, walking down a steep hill on a job and slid but had my hands in the pockets. When I went to react and stick my hands out, they were in my pocket and a seam ripped. They setup a place for me to send it to and get repaired for free. I just took it to a local seemtress and got it done for $10.