Protein Feeders that wont Clog

I have been using Boss Buck for 3 years now and all of sudden both have clogged. I have loosened bolts on funnels and shaken, etc. And have them fully extended (as loose/high flow as possible), and still the feed won't come down like it used to without me shaking or bumping the funnels. Anybody have a recommendation on how to fix and/or other feeders that don't have this issue?

Have considered going to ASF at some point....maybe this is my sign....

Stevek

WKR
Humidity and/or lots of rainfall can be the issue. Try to slightly vent the lid of the feeder to allow moisture trapped inside to escape while still keeping rainfall out. Pellets are manufactured with a binder in them to keep the pellet together. Some binders will stick together if there is some moisture in the air. Low consumption rates can cause feed to bind or stick together inside the funnel/downspouts also. I would not put much feed inside the feeder till the deer are using it daily. The feed needs to flow daily to keep it from binding up inside the feeder. High humidity causes the pellets to fall apart over time. These fines created as the pellet falls apart do not flow very well. Allow the feeder to go completely empty every couple of months will help. Old feed can get bugs(weevils and brown bugs) in it and cause major issues with clogging. Those bugs create moisture as feed sits. Feed is manufactured with some moisture content so if it sits in the feeder in times with major temp swings it can "sweat" and cause condensation under the roof or lid of the feeder. This will then "rain" down on the feed causing it to get moist again and mold. Also clog the feeder. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
Doc Holliday
Maybe it is the brand of protien you use? It swells and causes the chutes to clog?
I have used the same feed for years now.....I imagine the relatively wet mornings we have had this fall/winter may have slowly caused some condensation in the bin and caused the clogs.......they are pretty simple contraptions so that is probably it. But when I give the funnels just a slight shake...... fresh, dry, perfectly formed feed comes right down the tubes like it should.....I would think I would see more powder or deformed pellets if moisture had gotten in. Will try to salvage what I can of the feed in them and just dump them out and clean them just to be sure.........was hoping some folks on here might use Boss Bucks and have had a similar experience

I’ve used Boss Buck protein feeders since 2017, and I’ve never had one clog up. I’ve also got an All Season protein feeder, and my only complaint with it is that “lips” on the feeder tubes aren’t tall enough. The deer waste more feed out of it than the BB feeders.

Rich M

WKR
I have used the same feed for years now.....I imagine the relatively wet mornings we have had this fall/winter may have slowly caused some condensation in the bin and caused the clogs.......they are pretty simple contraptions so that is probably it. But when I give the funnels just a slight shake...... fresh, dry, perfectly formed feed comes right down the tubes like it should.....I would think I would see more powder or deformed pellets if moisture had gotten in. Will try to salvage what I can of the feed in them and just dump them out and clean them just to be sure.........was hoping some folks on here might use Boss Bucks and have had a similar experience

A coworker of mine uses boss buck feeders but they run corn. I was wondering if you had recently changed brands and that's why the issue popped up.

You guys who use Boss Feeders, where do you live and hunt? Reason I ask is because I have yet to find a gravity protein feeder that doesn't take on humidity. Trying to operate one has been a waste of effort because of the humidity we have. I live on the coast of Georgia and hot and humid is part of the deal down here.

You guys who use Boss Feeders, where do you live and hunt? Reason I ask is because I have yet to find a gravity protein feeder that doesn't take on humidity. Trying to operate one has been a waste of effort because of the humidity we have. I live on the coast of Georgia and hot and humid is part of the deal down here.
I live in west Alabama and I run 7 boss bucks Gravity feeders.
they are not perfect but best I’ve found. They clog every blue moon. It’s always the ones deep in the woods with little to no sun light. Humidity is worse in those areas.
l’ve also had them randomly dump all the feed out at one time. It’s either due to coon, deer, or they sink in the mud.
I have a client who runs texas hunter and seems to have zero issues.
I have 7 of the Texas hunter stand and feel feeders. I throw a corn protein mix out of them and they clog occasionally also.

if you want zero issues with feed allotment you have to use a trough style

I’ve added corn to mine and it still clogs. Although I haven’t found a feeder that doesn’t clog with the protein pellets and that always what is the thing that clogs.