Proud Dad Moment - Daughters first big game animal

WRO

WKR
My 10 year old drew one of the better rut mule deer hunts in idaho. We did a fair bit of scouting this summer and practice shooting.
Air gun Machine gun Table Trigger Match rifle shooting

Airguns at the shooters bench in Nampa.
Sky Plant community Plant Landscape Recreation

Cloud Sky Plant community Plant Shorts

We spent a bunch of time at the airgun range and shooting the 22. She is very recoil sensitive and even with the 243 was pretty hesitant to shoot it. So I picked her up a Ruger Precision 6 creed.

Picture frame Air gun Wood Machine gun Trigger

Its barely Idaho legal by weight, but the recoil is minimal and its a tack driver..

Madelynns words were, daddy you need the exercise so carrying my heavy rifle will help.
So fast forward through my hunts in October and early November and we got our first day out on 11/10. We went to a new spot and started glassing. (sorry no pictures I lost my phone on a stalk that day) and there were deer everywhere. It started with A couple of small bucks (I struggled to not put my expectations for this tag on her).

We soon spotted a mature 3x4, 3x3, and another nice buck. Maddie and I had a quick conversation about what was going to happen and I had her dry fire the rifle a couple of times. We dropped off the ridge and drove about a mile closer and then started our stalk. Within the first mile, we got on the 3x4 after passing up a young 3 point. I started getting her set up on the ridge waiting for the buck to feed out, then the deer just came out of everywhere including the biggest deer I have seen in Idaho. (28" 4x4 with trash, had mid 190's on this frame) needless to say he didn't give us an opportunity as he bounded away with 20 does. We were both in Awe and Madellynn wanted to kill the giant. I started glassing up country and spotted mid 170's type 4x4 working 4 does about a mile off. We dropped into a fold and worked our way up to the ridge he was on. After 20 minutes we were there and began looking for him. We soon realized we couldn't find him and started back on the ridge towards the truck (which I couldn't exactly find because I had lost my phone with my gps on it) so we incrementally peaked over ridges and eventually found the buck bedded at 150 yards but he spotted us at the same time. Game over with him.

After about another mile, I was spotted the truck which looked like an ant on the valley floor at this time. My daughter had to grab my 12's to spot it. Anyways 2 miles and 45 minutes later we made it to the truck. We decided to call it for the day and grabbed lunch for the drive home.

I called my best friend and hunting partner that night and asked him if he'd like to come up the next day and help me find my phone I lost on the stalk and spot with us.

The next morning started out again with an hour drive to the mountain and glassing off the knob. We had deer like fleas running everywhere, saw several smaller bucks and eventually spotted a different 4 point from the day before that was a nice mature buck. We started our stalk, trying to make it past the myriad of does to find where this rutting giant had went. We worked our way down canyon to the bottom glassing every fold with only a couple of glimpses. We thought he went to the bottom with a hot doe and we worked the shelf where we could have a 100 yard opportunity if we found him. As we worked our way north, I was slightly above Jason and Madelynn and stopped dead in my tracks when I caught a flicker of an ear. I tried to stop Jason and Madelynn but, they stepped out into site just to see 20 does and 4 bucks trot up the hill. We made a quick loop back to the truck and went to cut them off around the top, had a couple opportunities an experienced hunter could make happen, but not a first timer. After another couple hours of cat and mouse we called it and headed over to find my phone. Maddie took a nap, and I hiked 4 miles to no avail to find my lost phone.

Once we got back to the truck, we started glassing fingers to the south and quickly turned up several more bucks including a nice 4x4 that was younger, but Madelynn was ready to kill. We did a big steep loop to get above him and dropped in, we made it to within 150 yards before the wind swirled and ended that stalk. We made the steep walk back to the truck in as the sun set and started on our way home.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
4 dreadful days of work later, I took off early on Friday evening and headed back to the spot we have been hunting. I started glassing around 4:30 and quickly started turning up deer everywhere except there were no shooter bucks. The weekend before the does were on pins and needles and if you drove within 1/2 mile of them they were on the move. They were very gentle in comparison 4 days later. We spent the night looking over deer and working our way out the bottom of the canyon. Madelynn started spotting deer before me which she was very proud of. We made it out and I reached out to another tag holder to see what he had been seeing. He sent me a picture of a 3.5 year old buck and said there was a canyon where he had been seeing lots of deer. Madelynn was more concerned with filling her tag at this point than killing a mature deer. Which I am more than fine with, its all about her and having a good experience.

We awoke the next morning and started the 2.5 hour drive to the new area. We stopped at the bottom and waited for light and then began our drive in. I spotted a little buck and doe right off the bat 25 yards off the side of the road, I asked her what she wanted and she said not him, at least until tomorrow as Sunday was our last day to hunt. We continued on glassing and driving checking out new areas. I drove to a point, got set up, and quickly turned up a nice 3x4 and we took off after him. We drove to where we were going to start our stalk, got out and he stepped out 300 yards above us skylined. I tried to get her set up in time, but he wandered off. We did a 3 mile loop, seeing lots of does but not him and went back to the truck. I saw another draw we wanted to glass down the road and headed there. There was a truck stopped on the side of the road glassing and I stopped to say hi. They were tag holders as well and we chit chatted for a minute, I told them it was my daughters tag and they asked how big of deer we were looking for, she said just not a dink. They were watching a group of bucks about 350 yards out and said there's a decent on in there that they'd be happy to let Maddy shoot. I got her our and set up (frantically) and we started picking apart the deer herd and located a nice 3x3 that was one of the bigger ones out of the group. There was an absolute rut fest going on there, with does going everywhere, bucks fighting and lip curling, and mayhem. I got maddies rifle dialed, her benched up and set up and hovered over her asking if she had him. He stepped out, I baa'd at him, he stopped and Maddie sent one right over his back. Instead of freaking out, she rolled the bolt and stayed on the rifle. The buck bolted about 50 yards, we balled again and he stopped. I heard the report from maddies rifle and the buck dropped like a sack of stuff.

I've been a part of a dozen animals getting whacked this year and more than I can count, typically its just business as usual but I turned into a complete poop show with this one. I started crying, picked my daughter up into the air, gave her a big hug. I asked Jon if he'd give us a hand dragging the buck to the road. He obliged, his daughter and son in law came up as well. I overshot the landing by a couple hundred yards luckily they walked us back to her dead buck.

Plant Military camouflage Plant community Cloud Sky

Cloud Sky Plant Carnivore Fawn

Cloud Sky Trousers Plant People in nature

Our new friends..

Plant Cloud Plant community Sky Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Hunting Plant Hat

Cloud Sky Hunting Plant community Ecoregion

I am so proud of her, she wasn't sure if she wanted to even go this year and gets timid around new things. She over came all of her fears, hiked a lot of big country, and perservered. It was never a question for her if we were going to make it happen.

She also got to learn the value of being outgoing and nice to others you meet in the woods. I have helped many new hunters over the years, but this one will be darned near impossible to top.

Sorry Its so long winded.

Thank you to Kyle, Jason, John, Brian, and Vicky for your help during the hunt and thanks to everyone who gave us pins to start scouting from etc.

This warms my heart as I prepare my daughter for her future hunts. I can only imagine the emotions you felt as you went through this. Congrats to the new hunter and to you for memories of a lifetime. So awesome.

Reactions: WRO

TripleJ

WKR
Freakin' awesome! Can't beat the excitement of watching your kids experience hunting and find success for the first time.

Scoot

WKR
Pretty dang great! Congrats to her, and too you! Good job passing it on.

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Man what a story, I was on pins and needles just reading that! Congrats to her and a successful hunt. Way to go!

Rogue Bay

WKR
There’s nothing better than watching the kiddos getting it done. Congrats to both of you! I felt like I was right there on the hunt. Thanks for sharing with us!

elkguide

WKR
AWESOME!!!!
Give Maddie another hug and thanks so much for taking us along.
Sounds like you have a hunting partner for life!

Rich M

WKR
Excellent! That’s a big buck story i can get behind.

Good job daddy-o!

And yes, pays to be friendly w folks out there. I met the nicest folks in CO duting muley season 2019. Never will forget. Good folks out there.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Man that is awesome, and what hunting is all about IMO! Congrats to your daughter on a great first buck! Great write up & pics. Thanks for sharing.

NDGuy

WKR
Awesome buddy, what a fun experience for you. Can’t wait for my kids to go out and try.