pulled bullets

Retterath

WKR
my question is i have some 160 grain accubonds loaded and was wondering if i pulled all of them would if make any effect on them when they are loaded again cause the collet usually puts some little marks on the jacket. what do you know about this. thanks guys

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wondering the same thing... I had a bunch of loads worked up for my rifle and then swapped the barrel - the old chamber was a little longer and slightly larger. I need to pull bullets and resize/bump shoulder back. Are the old bullets garbage? Do I need to dryfire the primers and start over before resizing? Thanks for the advice.

Shrek

WKR
Darin , I'm in the same boat with a new barrel and a shorter chamber. Why dry fire the primer ? I just push them out when I size them. I've pushed hundreds of primers out and never had a problem. Don't slam them as fast as possible and just push them at regular resizing speed. I think I'm going to remove the decapper from my full length sizer and just leave the primers in place. Reuse the same powder and bullets to break in the barrel.

Broz

WKR
It greatly depends on the jacket thickness, type of puller and how much neck tension to remove them. I have shot pulled bullets. But prefer to use them for barrel break in or just busting rocks. Use fresh components for working up a load, figuring field drops and only the best for hunting.

Jeff

Joe M

FNG
I use the hornady collet puller, it leaves small marks but they haven't shot any different. I only use the pulls for target shooting though because for some no real reason I don't trust them to always have the same accuracy. As to resizing I've just pulled the de-capping rod and sized as I normally would when I needed to push the shoulder back on a primed case.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
The major affect on a bullet is if the actual base is damaged, from what I've read in some ballistic books you can significantly damage a bullet and have the POI remain the same as long as its not the base. Not sure what distances this holds true for.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Darin , I'm in the same boat with a new barrel and a shorter chamber. Why dry fire the primer ? I just push them out when I size them. I've pushed hundreds of primers out and never had a problem. Don't slam them as fast as possible and just push them at regular resizing speed. I think I'm going to remove the decapper from my full length sizer and just leave the primers in place. Reuse the same powder and bullets to break in the barrel.

Didn't know if it was safe to push them out live... I was wanting to push them out because I need to lube the case to resize and bump the shoulder back which would require another cycle of wet-cleaning.

DC

Joe M

FNG
Didn't know if it was safe to push them out live... I was wanting to push them out because I need to lube the case to resize and bump the shoulder back which would require another cycle of wet-cleaning.

DC

I use Imperial wax for lube, and just wipe it off when sizing is done.

16Bore

WKR
RCBS collet puller is the way to go. As for removing live primers, set them aside for practice ammo. Ask me how I know.....

wapitibob

WKR

DC

If this for your STW get a 7mm rem mag full length sizing die and it will work perfect as a neck sizer/shoulder bump die. The mag die has about .002 body clearance over the S T Dub.