QD sockets on side of stock

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone put QD sockets on the side of a bolt action? If so, where did you put them? I'm thinking an inch back from the normal sling stud location on the forend, primarily to avoid hitting the QD socket installed on the bottom of the stock (site 1).

The location on the butt has me pondering a bit more. I'm trying to decide between about an inch forward of recoil pad and down from the comb (site 3), or an inch back from where the grip ends (site 2).

The variety of sling mounts found on ARs has me thinking some of this is just personal preference, but I'm wondering if anyone has pros or cons they can think of. I might just instal QD sockets at multiple points and see what I like. But if there is an obvious problem with a given location I would rather not find out first hand.

Anyone have experience using a side mounted sling as a shooting aid?

Anyone have experience with a Chin Sling? Would it be worth installing a QD socket forward of the magazine well to use one?

Each swivel socket adds about 10 grams. So even if I added 4 of them to the stock it would be less than 1.5 ounces.

I have already replaced the standard swivels with QD sockets, so the installation is not an issue.

The locations I'm considering are roughly marked by red dots in the below image. For simplicity, left to right is site 1, 2, & 3.
20201026_001359.jpg

Edit:
As an update because I was asked about this.

All my rifles end up with QD cups and I pull the traditional swivels. I literally never used the QD cups I installed in the same location as traditional swivels and only install two as described below.

I like a QD cup 1-2 inches down from the comb and the same distance forward of the recoil pad on the right (I'm right handed, so the outboard or lateral side). I like the other one on the left (inboard or medial) side of the forend.

I have made my own sling, but it is a light weight copy of the RS3 https://rifle-craft.com/products/rs-3-quick-adjust-sling.

My version uses. 1 inch webbing and eliminates the side release buckle. The RS3 is a great sling though.

GrovTec makes good swivels, I use these on the RS3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013VW8CA8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I use these on my homemade sling

Cross chest can be a little annoying with a pack as I just hang it around my neck. You can sling it and forget it, the having the weight of a rifle on your neck means you will not forget it. But, unlike on the shoulder with a pack, it does not fall off. I also don't end up with my head over the muzzle when crawling through brush like I did with a gunbearer. Not do I constantly flag anyone in front of me going up steep hills like with the gunbearer.

Last edited:

Rockwell

FNG
Your front location is fine, my preference for the rear is where you have it dotted but on the other (right) side. An inch in from the pad and about a 1/4 of the way down from the top. I've found that when the rifle is slung in front of you it hangs a lot better and the rifle doesn't want to rock/tip away from you providing a more stable carry position, also when shouldered the sling is more out of the way.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing but using the QD mounts as a gunbearer on the pack. Loop the swivels through some pack webbing then clip the rifle in when needed (or not needed).

BCoker

FNG
I ended up putting qd's on both sides forward and aft and in the bottom. The front for me are set back a little because I also have a rail for a bipod. As for the rear that are about an inch forward of the recoil pad, but i centered them vertically. I looked at the ching sling, but ended up with the riflecraft RS-2 (https://rifle-craft.com/products/rs2-riflemans-essential-sling) similar concept only one qd needed forward

Attachments

• 20201026_075215.jpg
    20201026_075215.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 20201026_074829.jpg
    20201026_074829.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20201026_075008.jpg
    20201026_075008.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 159
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I ended up putting qd's on both sides forward and aft and in the bottom. The front for me are set back a little because I also have a rail for a bipod. As for the rear that are about an inch forward of the recoil pad, but i centered them vertically. I looked at the ching sling, but ended up with the riflecraft RS-2 (https://rifle-craft.com/products/rs2-riflemans-essential-sling) similar concept only one qd needed forward

Do you find you use some of the QD location more than others, or do you use them all about the same amount?

Rockwell

FNG
Marbles, I have one modern sporting rifle that the hand guard has 5 qd's and the rear of the AR has 3 more. I geneally only ever use the left far front and the right side rear. I was told once it's good to have choices, but most will never see a qd ever.

BCoker

FNG
Do you find you use some of the QD location more than others, or do you use them all about the same amount?
I thought that I would, but I end up using the ones on the left most, I really have not used the bottom much, but they are light and it doesn't hurt to have them all.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That Rifle Craft site has some good information on it and those slings look well designed. The weight is also decent. Thanks for sharing.

Do you use a sling to shoot, or carry only?

I have tried using my sling to shoot, but it tends to torque the rifle clockwise (I'm right handed) because the sling studs are in the traditional location on the bottom. I was thinking it would be nice to have sling mounts on the side so that the tension is balanced and doesn't induce torque when using it to shoot.

BCoker

FNG

I have tried using my sling to shoot, but it tends to torque the rifle clockwise (I'm right handed) because the sling studs are in the traditional location on the bottom. I was thinking it would be nice to have sling mounts on the side so that the tension is balanced and doesn't induce torque when using it to shoot.
I use it for both, I shot my elk 2 years ago using it. wasn't a far shot, but I was on my knees and had no way to stabilize without it. Worked great. When I an slung up I can take my shooting hand off the rifle and it won't move.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

I currently use a double wrap method for shooting as I don't have a loop sling. It does torque the rifle, however the counter pressure from my support hand makes the torque serve to lock the rifle in. How I use it, the sling does not pull the rifle back into my shoulder, rather it locks the rifle in to my support arm and shifts the effort of holding the rifle steady to bones and large muscles.

I'm actually curious to see how side mounted swivels affect this.

SDHNTR

WKR
I don’t understand flush cups on hunting guns. I don’t ever not hunt with a backpack on. Defeats the purpose and they are an eyesore.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t understand flush cups on hunting guns. I don’t ever not hunt with a backpack on. Defeats the purpose and they are an eyesore.
Different priorities is all. I feel that traditional swivels get in the way when I don't have a sling on. I hate having a rifle strapped to my pack, so far the Kifaru Gun Bearer is the only method that gives adequate access (I'm assuming you mean you always hunt with a pack on considering the double negative, but as language is not math, it could also just be extra emphasis and never hunting with a pack, so please forgive my confusion). I also use a sling as a shooting aid, so regardless of carry method I want a sling on my gun. Then, the problem with the Gun Bearer is that when closing on a stalk I like to drop my pack, and sometimes the terrain I'm traveling over is rough enough I need both hands for scrambling, or dropping an unslung rifle would mean permanently loosing it. I also really like cross chest carry for speed of access, traditional swivels sticking out the side of a stock would be irritating to me, and uglier than flush cups in my opinion.

When I traded wood and blued for synthetic and stainless I gave up on looks being a primary driver and put pure function first. I do still care about looks, they just come in below other considerations now. Part of me does want to only hunt using a Sako Bavarian Carbine with irons (I think scopes are an eyesore) in 6.5x55 Swedish. This will probably never happen, though I might take up using a stick bow someday.

Edit: that Sako would get a latigo 1907 sling.

SDHNTR

WKR
Haha. I actually have a full stock Mannlicher 6.5 Swede that I dearly love! 1907 sling too! But I went with a CZ 550. I so wanted that Sako Bavarian but the damn M85 design flaw with the ejector blade position causing ejection issues was a deal killer. Beautiful rifle though. And I even hunt with a stick bow sometimes!

See, we aren’t that far off!

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Your front location is fine, my preference for the rear is where you have it dotted but on the other (right) side. An inch in from the pad and about a 1/4 of the way down from the top. I've found that when the rifle is slung in front of you it hangs a lot better and the rifle doesn't want to rock/tip away from you providing a more stable carry position, also when shouldered the sling is more out of the way.

Thanks for the advice, that placement works great.

I've been really happy with the RS-3 I picked up.

I drilled my laminate stock for QD Cups and put #1 as far forward left as I could get it. It hot my muzzle as low as possible for walking thru timber/brush.

I also drilled the rear and installed one on the left side. I don't or at least haven't yet used my sling to help shoot, only to carry and I put the rear one on the left side about middle between toe and comb. I've seen some outfits put them close to the toe and original swivel stud and some go high closer to the cheek piece. Not sure their reasoning.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As an update because I was asked about this.

All my rifles end up with QD cups and I pull the traditional swivels. I literally never used the QD cups I installed in the same location as traditional swivels and only install two as described below.

I like a QD cup 1-2 inches down from the comb and the same distance forward of the recoil pad on the right (I'm right handed, so the outboard or lateral side). I like the other one on the left (inboard or medial) side of the forend.

I have made my own sling, but it is a light weight copy of the RS3 https://rifle-craft.com/products/rs-3-quick-adjust-sling.

My version uses. 1 inch webbing and eliminates the side release buckle. The RS3 is a great sling though.

GrovTec makes good swivels, I use these on the RS3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013VW8CA8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I use these on my homemade sling

Cross chest can be a little annoying with a pack as I just hang it around my neck. You can sling it and forget it, the having the weight of a rifle on your neck means you will not forget it. But, unlike on the shoulder with a pack, it does not fall off. I also don't end up with my head over the muzzle when crawling through brush like I did with a gunbearer. Not do I constantly flag anyone in front of me going up steep hills like with the gunbearer.