Quality hiking pants

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
check out some of the railrider pants,,,,not your standard hunting pant but have held up well,,,,

only negative is they aren't really 4 way stretch,,,,,,

liking the firstlite kanabs (solid color) that I bought this spring,,,,,so far

I really like the vertex pants. The down side is they are a cotton canvas with a spandex or a NYCO 50-50 blend which doesn't dry fast and has the draw backs of cotton. The cut on them are awesome though. They don't fit like the skinny jeans a lot of the pants mentioned seem to have. I'm just waiting for them to make them in a synthetic quick dry material for a really sweet pant.

I've got a pair of RailRider pants that are going strong 10 years later. Stitching is great, good quick drying materials and reinforcements in the knees, seat and ankles. I've also got a few pairs of TAD Gear amphip pants... they've done well also. I've put lots of miles on these and they've both been good pants.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
those railrider weathertec pants were recommended to me by the outfitter up in Alaska,,,,,them things are solidly built

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
check out the military soft shell pants made by Patagonia- lightweight to midweight fabric, four way stretch, good dwr, cargo pockets, built in suspenders, nice roomy fit and have proven very durable (they are made for the military afterall :D)

Benjblt

WKR
Get the Prana Zions or Zioneers. It's Nylon with just 3% spandex so you don't have that cheap spandex feel. They also still stretch well! Super comfortable!!

elkyinzer

WKR
Patagonia Field Pant. I ordered a pair around Christmas and have been putting them through the wringer in some serious briars. They are the real deal.

JPCboogie, the pair I got does. maybe just a little tight in the seat but they're stretchy so its still very comfortable.

I have been hiking all summer with them zipped off and they have been holding up really well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patagonia Field Pant. I ordered a pair around Christmas and have been putting them through the wringer in some serious briars. They are the real deal.

those look pretty nice; if I can find a good sale I might give those a go

elkyinzer

WKR
Mtwarden -I searched forever for the ideal do-all pant out East. Everywhere I go I have to bust thru briars. And it's almost what I would design. Fit is a little snug, I would round up in size. But I am built weird, if youre a skinny dude, maybe not. Only thing I would change about them is add a little more of the cordura type fabric to the back...sometimes you get in heavy briars and the best way to go through them is backwards. But for how thin and light the fabric is, the durability is top notch.

The techical hunting companies...FL, sitka et al need to put out a similar pant. Guys out East here would eat it up.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple of pairs of Patagonia pants that I really like- their old Rock Guides (now replaced w/ a another model I don't know the name of) that I use for warmer weather and a pair that are built for the military (Level 5 softshell pants) that I use in cooler to cold conditions. I like the idea of a 500d reinforced fronts for areas where I'm going to do a lot of bushwacking.

Benjblt

WKR
Mtwarden -I searched forever for the ideal do-all pant out East. Everywhere I go I have to bust thru briars. And it's almost what I would design. Fit is a little snug, I would round up in size. But I am built weird, if youre a skinny dude, maybe not. Only thing I would change about them is add a little more of the cordura type fabric to the back...sometimes you get in heavy briars and the best way to go through them is backwards. But for how thin and light the fabric is, the durability is top notch.

The techical hunting companies...FL, sitka et al need to put out a similar pant. Guys out East here would eat it up.

That's my biggest complaint with Kuiu, why don't they put out a more durable pant. Good info! Those pants look legit.

Beendare

WKR
Kuiu Tiburon for hot summer weather. Attack for cooler.

Agreed!

I have been wearing a pair of solid color Kuiu pants I got about 5 years ago for warm weather hikes and shoots where I wanted to keep sun/bugs off. They became my favorite pants....oh and i have the shorts too. I was shocked when I just ordered a pair of Kuiu Tiburons in solid colors and it was the pant I've been wearing for years- YES!

I had no idea this was the Tiburon line....great warm weather fabric.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive used Prana Brions on 4 Audad hunts and find them to be perfect for scrambling over rough terrain. For hiking, I like the Brions and the Stretch zions, both are awesome for hiking and everyday use.

Owenst7

WKR
I picked up a couple pairs of stretch pants with an integrated belt made by Gramicci (according to the tag they're a rock climbing brand) from Sierra Trading Post. They were around $30 and have been my go-to pants for backpacking since then. They've held up very well to the desert brush around here backpacking off trail and are very comfortable in a good range of weather. They absorb a little more water than most synthetic pants I've worn. They took a bit longer to dry out the one time I soaked them in a downpour.

I wear Prana Brions around town almost daily. They fit just like the jeans I like but are way more comfortable in hot weather. The only reasons I don't wear them backpacking is because I don't want to beat up the pants I wear in town, and I prefer not to wear a belt for my pants while I'm backpacking. I think they'd be just as durable as any decent pair of jeans. Probably a bit more since they are so stretchy.

I'll be checking out the Prana Zions next time I catch them in a store in my size and can try them on. I think they're a little thicker than the Brions, which I'd probably like for most of my backpacking trips for a little warmth and longevity.

My Costco has a pair of stretchy and a pair of non-stretch zip-off pants. I'll probably grab a pair of the stretchy ones to try out for the price. They didn't look like bad pants at all, but I don't think they had the articulated knees and ergonomic fit that the more expensive pants have.