question about single wall tents vs double wall and condensation

sk1

WKR
so this might be a dumb question....i have a big agnes fly creek tent. for those of you familiar, the top of the tent is mesh, and then i guess what i would call the weather proof rain cover pulled over the top, pretty much your typical tent. Why don't i have major condensation issues? The inside liner is all breathable mesh, does this really make that much of a difference having this mesh layer? i would think it would perform the same as a single wall tent, but in my opinion it performs much better in regards to condensation.

looking into new tent options, just curious why ive never had an issue with it, when to me it seems so similar to a single wall tent.

bsnedeker

WKR
It's all about airflow. If air is flowing you won't get a lot of condensation. In a 2-wall tent there is airflow between the rainfly and the tent body so most of the condensation that would normally form evaporates away. In a single wall tent the single wall is pulled all the way to the ground, so no great way for air to get in and flow, hence you get condensation.

That's my understanding of it anyway. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it more accurately.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i mean i do get the air flow concept, but at the same time i didnt figure mesh between the rainfly would make a significant difference, but it appears to

bsnedeker

WKR
i mean i do get the air flow concept, but at the same time i didnt figure mesh between the rainfly would make a significant difference, but it appears to

Take 2 bowls of water, cover one with a piece of tarp or tent material, cover the other with a piece of screen/mesh material. Which bowl is going to evaporate sooner? It makes a big difference.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your rainfly doesn't go all the way to the ground does it?

Most double walled tents have an inner tent with a waterproof fabric for the bathtub floor that continues a distance up the sidewall, above the lowest point of the rainfly before it turns to mesh. The mesh doesn't matter except for bugs.

Air flowing from outside under the skirt of the raised rainfly and between it and the inner wall is what's important.

Pitch one of our Cimarrons down tight to the ground in really rainy weather and you can get some condensation. Raise the canopy with a lineloc kit or gatekeeper straps and the condensation mostly goes away.

Airflow is the key.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
+1. I can soak you out from condensation under a tarp to demonstrate a lack of airflow being causal. Ventilation is the 90% solution.

Most double walled tents have an inner tent with a waterproof fabric for the bathtub floor that continues a distance up the sidewall, above the lowest point of the rainfly before it turns to mesh. The mesh doesn't matter except for bugs.

Air flowing from outside under the skirt of the raised rainfly and between it and the inner wall is what's important.

Pitch one of our Cimarrons down tight to the ground in really rainy weather and you can get some condensation. Raise the canopy with a lineloc kit or gatekeeper straps and the condensation mostly goes away.

Airflow is the key.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR

Airflow is the key.

correct, the rainfly does not go all the way to the ground. it has the separate bathtub floor that goes partway up then to mesh. why do you see so many complaints about single wall tent condensation then? dont you just pitch it with the sides up a bit higher off the ground to have air flow and then for the most part depending on conditions, i would think it wouldnt be too bad?

i have a kifaru sawtooth and stove in the box brand new i am having second thoughts about.... is where this is all stemming from. i dont live out west anymore and make one trip a year for elk.....just debating if it was worth the possible headache and trial and error for one 12 day hunt a year

We have camped in every conceivable configuration and have never really had a problem with a wee bit of moisture being on the inside of the tent. Most the time it’s just frost anyway at altitude and burns off during the day while out hunting. The down bags seem to shed it just fine as well. Besides with that stove it’s gonna evaporate everything in 6 minutes flat.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
We have camped in every conceivable configuration and have never really had a problem with a wee bit of moisture being on the inside of the tent. Most the time it’s just frost anyway at altitude and burns off during the day while out hunting. The down bags seem to shed it just fine as well. Besides with that stove it’s gonna evaporate everything in 6 minutes flat.

i got my second thoughts on this setup from a friend who had troubles with it last november.....says he tried all sorts of different ways of pitching it for more ventilation trying to reduce condensation. it just gave me some cold feet on such an expensive investment.

Single wall tents are waterproof. Water proof tent material do not breath well, if at all. Since moisture will not pass through the waterproof layer, it collects it. On a double walled tent, that waterproof layer is outside the breathable layer. On a single walled tent that waterproof layer is the layer you get against. Condensation still collects on the 2nd layer. However, airflow allows the double walled, outside layer to not sweat as bad and, dry much quicker. I hope that helps. God Bless men

FlyGuy

WKR
Ask your buddy exactly how he had it set up. Did he pitch it over some nice soft green grass? If so, then I'm sure he had a fair amount of condensation as the tent became a greenhouse. This can be mitigated with some tyvek. Did he have any? Did he run a stove? If the ground was already wet from a previous rain them the tyvek is also a help. But best to find a spot without those hassles if possible.

I stake down the windward side tight to the ground, then raise the leeward side about 8-12 inches. With that pitch I've never had an issue in some pretty bad conditions. There was moisture, but it was about like steam mist on a glass shower door. It wasn't running down or dripping on me. If you brushed against it it would make your shoulder just slightly damp, but there is so much more room in a single wall that staying clear of the sidewall isn't much of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
I have a hilleberg enan double wall tent that is as wet as any single wall tent I’ve ever slept in. The fly goes all the way to the ground and air flow is minimal or less. I replaced both tent ends with a larger mesh screen. If I have wind I’m almost ok. No wind and it drips on me. No roof vent kills me too. I think roof venting is huge in cooler climates as that’s where the heat goes, low/high vent set ups create airflow by default and are drier tents. I’m almost always camped on some form of vegetation.
Even with a double wall the tent fly get some condensation on it. Just having the mesh
Interior keeps it away from you, and better airflow dries the fly quicker.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have a hilleberg enan double wall tent that is as wet as any single wall tent I’ve ever slept in. The fly goes all the way to the ground and air flow is minimal or less. I replaced both tent ends with a larger mesh screen. If I have wind I’m almost ok. No wind and it drips on me. No roof vent kills me too. I think roof venting is huge in cooler climates as that’s where the heat goes, low/high vent set ups create airflow by default and are drier tents. I’m almost always camped on some form of vegetation.
Even with a double wall the tent fly get some condensation on it. Just having the mesh
Interior keeps it away from you, and better airflow dries the fly quicker.
Good point. The sawtooth does not have a top vent, but it does have a double zippered entry. Just unzip about 12" at the top and jam a small stick in the opening to create more airflow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk