Question about the 26" Kifaru frame

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks BroodBuster. I'm really thinking about going with the DT2, guide lid, Grab-it and maybe a medium belt pouch on each side of the bag. I was also thinking about going with the DT1 instead because it seems like the same size as the DT2 aside from the snow collar, giving it the extra volume when needed. Sound correct? Seems like lots of folks get fed up with the snow collar getting in the way though from what I've read.

Steelie, are you a tripod and spotting scope guy for most of your hunts? I'm not.

I've found that since I don't run a spotter and tripod very often I prefer the "slick" sides of the AMR to the DT series bags. Had a new style design Dt2 and the larger side and back pockets are a major improvement. But...the AMR compresses down to day mode so much nicer than the DT due to the lack of aide pockets and 3 side straps (attached the way they are on the AMR) that I much prefer the AMR in day mode and when opened up all the way for "dead hooker" carry mode. Don't get me wrong, I liked the DT but absolutely love the versatility of the AMR. Don't let the AMR cubic inches scare you.

I was also thinking about going with the DT1 instead because it seems like the same size as the DT2 aside from the snow collar, giving it the extra volume when needed. Sound correct? Seems like lots of folks get fed up with the snow collar getting in the way though from what I've read.

The snow collar is no longer on the DT1. If you get the new version with the bigger pockets it will not have the snow collar. The main difference is an extra couple inches of circumference between the DT1 and DT2 and maybe a couple inches of height.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
mrbillbrown,

I don't own a spotter yet but I did just pick up an Outdoorsmans medium Tripod and pan head and a set of 15x56 Vortex Vulture HD's. I'll be carrying those for Mule deer especially but also for late season Elk hunts where I spend time glassing distant clear cuts on timber company land. Care to post a side profile pic of your AMR compressed?

I'll be glad to post up some pics in the morning. The pic above was the only one readily available from my phone. Sorry to make you wait.

tttoadman

WKR
Don't let the AMR cubic inches scare you.

Take note. I have a few different bags now from these high end pack companies. We have been hearing the "go big" from many of these guys for years. I have to agree with these guys. Don't be bashful with bag volume. It is not an issue at at all to compress 7000CI. It can become an issue trying to pack all your shit in 4000.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider

Its not a good photo but that is a compressed Argali with a spotter pocket on the front, grab it, guide lid and a medium belt pouch sticking out the side. The new bags compress to nothing and work great for day mode with a lid and the spotter pocket. Putting a belt pouch on the guide lid is nice too for a couple extra things.

Salix

FNG
I'm 5'10" and went with the 26" stays and the EMR II. No issues with the extra length in day pack mode and when needed for packing out the weight of a successful hunt you will want the extra length for lift.

Drew, here's a couple of side pics and a back pic. I just folded the guide lid over onto the frame and shot the pics. The sides of the bag fold in nicely (much nicer than my DT2) and the 3 side straps cinch up nicely.
f28121ee252df288e2abe60c16dfa006.jpg
bef133792165a193150c85bfb9a8c4cb.jpg
b20ee207fd2514f7bb84cfd9ccc52dca.jpg

I have a slik tripod and Vulture 15's I plan to carry in CO this year. They majority of my usage is day trips hiking with the family or training for Sept. The ability to cinch 3 straps up for day trips and start blowing it out for 40-100# of corn makes it super quick and versatile. The back pockets are a perfect size for day items. When I'm going to take a tripod the 3 straps on the side hold the tripod well and my binos will end up in the guide lid or on top of all the other stuff in the bag.

It's just a better fit for my year round usage than any of the other bags I've tried. YMMV

The SS pocket works perfectly on the side of the AMR. I had originally bought two of them but realized that I would t need the extra ci's and don't carry a spotter so they became less "needed".

If you plan to carry a spotter a lot I would grab the SS pockets or look into the DT1.

Here's a couple of pics of the AMR "full". I ran upstairs and started throwing Sept gear in there. Bag, tent, woobie, bivy, misc pullouts of stuff, puffy, tripod, binos, pump, etc.... Stuff I'm gonna carry this fall and some odds and ends pullouts to help full size and weight (kids and I are gonna hike this morning while the wife's at work). Still plenty of room to add extra gear or meat but the side straps keep everything tidy. Once I arrive at camp I can drop camp items and cinch the bag down for day mode in a matter of seconds.
5b006123c0955783784fb01cba061742.jpg
793e40d7b0404e13b12387fe597e89c3.jpg
c0040e90475d7cbf972b2b092db41071.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am only 5'3, and I routinely run 26" stays. We buy all our packs that way so my husband and I can interchange them, loan them out, etc. I have never been bothered by the excess height behind me, truly the pack bag sticks up farther than the stays if it's totally full anyway. For reference here is a photo of two "short people" running with 26" stays....me at 5'3 with the old Rondevous bag on a 26" bikini frame, and my FIL at 5' with the high camp on a 26" original duplex.

Yea the snow collar last about half way thru my 2nd trip on my T1.

A couple of pics from today with some bulky wool clothing on the bottom and 45#'s of kitty litter. Obviously a pretty awkward load but still carries very comfortably.

22c9a4e722005915c220ae95a45b450a.jpg

997c921c74a3229c3ba95bc0e2a55269.jpg

I'm pretty sure you'll be thrilled with whatever you choose.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to post pics and your experiences everyone!

mrbillbrown sure has me eyeing the AMR now...:cool:

rockmail2

WKR
Not trying to knock an excellent pack like Kifaru but based on your wants/needs, I'd recommend you look at the EXO Mountain Gear 5500 pack. I've owned Kifaru and now I have the EXO and I'm extremely happy with it. The frame is designed to allow you to tilt your head all the way back and look straight up...huge benefit when you're hiking uphill! 25 inch frame and I have carried loads in excess of 120 lbs over several miles comfortably. I should note that I was pleased with the performance of my Kifaru system too...just comes down to personal preference. The EXO is a lower price point as well. Anyway, good luck and happy hunting!