QUESTION: RE: Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5"

TheGDog

WKR
Been wanting a .44 Mag pistol to try hunting with.

If intended game is only MuleDeer and BlackBear here in SoCal, and I was going to purchase a Ruger Super Redhawk, (in either 7.5" or 9.5").

.44 Mag should be fine right?

What real-world reasons would there be for instead going for one of the other caliber choices offered in that firearm?

I know about .454 Casull being able to do .45LC for cheaper practice.

-=-=-
Between .44 Mag and .454 Casull, for these intended species. There should be no appreciable convincing difference to warrant bumping up to the .454 Casull, right? other than being able to practice w/ cheaper .45LC.

What say ye?

EDIT: already bought .44 Mag bullets and cases for when I'd bought that Marlin 1894. But since it couldn't shoot lead-free's accurately, been thinking maybe get a .44 Mag hunting revolver and give that a go.

I loaded some Barnes XPB 225 gr. bullets for mine.
e482f75c0e998a8adf2a4da5207f8215.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dos XX

WKR
I think you can shoot .44 special in the .44 Mag, can't you. You can buy those for .80 round or so. I think .45 colt can be found for 10 cents a round or so cheaper.

I had both of those guns at one time. The .454 Casull was no fun to shoot at the range. It was a beast. It is possible that there is a technique to shooting big bore revolvers, and that I don't know it. I sold the .454. I later found out I could have shot .45 colt through it. Had I known that before I sold it, I would have kept it.

The .44 mag I can shoot at the range and not wince. Yeah, I am a sissy,

Hello from Alaska.

The .44 will be fine for deer and bear!!
I have hunted with the .44 in a revolver in Alaska for over 50 years. It does
very well on anything here , although the largest thing that I hunt is moose.
An important consideration is the bullet choice!
I generally use cast bullets of various weights, however I imagine that is not a choice in Calif.?
Bob

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah we're lead-free so Copper.

Such as :
Barnes XPB
LeHigh Extreme Penetrator or Hunter or Defender.
Monoflex

Wrench

WKR
I have a scoped srh in 44mag. I wish mine was 45lc only because I have a rifle that would share ammo and I have several other 44mags.

I have killed on deer at 80 paces with my 4" 629....and it worked like a lightning bolt.

I shot another deer with a 45lc and it went lengthwise through the deer and never stopped.

Both are quite potent if aimed well.

I bought a 460 with the intention of a potential 200yard rig....but it's so obnoxiously heavy, loud and viscous muzzle blast that I doubt I'll ever do it. One shot un plugged would ruin your hearing forever.

taskswap

WKR
I have the RSR 7.5" version in 44 mag and love it. I originally scoped mine but took the scope off because it's so bulky. I haven't taken game with it yet but it's more than up to the task.

I like 44 mag because of ammo availability and I had also planned to get a matching Henry lever-action in the same caliber. As somebody noted above you can also shoot 44 Special to save money and recoil when training with it. I know the Casull got a boost from some Youtube videos extolling it and it's probably great, but at the time I was buying the pistol (two years before COVID) the Casull and some similar cartridges like the 444 Marlin were hard to come by and expensive. So that helped make the decision for me.

One thing I did that really improved the firearm for me was replace the grip. I got the model with the black molded rubberized grip and hated it from day 1. It was just a little too tacky, so my skin would stick to it and I would get blisters after hitting the range. I replaced that with the Hogue Pau Ferro grip (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TTW5NM) which was a surprisingly nice product for $65. That made it my favorite firearm. And definitely get a speed loader.

Think about how you carry because this bad boy is HEAVY. I hip-carried for a while but I had to add suspenders to keep my belt from sagging. What worked best for me was the Razco Kydex holster that Marsupial sells for their bino packs. It fit the pistol really well and the chest carry was well balanced.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah, I currently use a Razco for the G29, and would totally either do that or some other center-chest or cross-draw rig if I was gonna bring it into the field as my primary weapon.