Questions about max range of s20 sako without 20 moa rail

IslandBoi

FNG
Hi,

I am fairly new to shooting and mildly redacted. I have a sako s20 in 300 win mag and have read that because the integral rail on it does not have a 20 moa cant to it , that it is handicapped to shooting 600 yards max with most scopes because it cuts their dialing range in half ? With hornady 200gr eldx(@1000ft elevation) it shows 27.5 moa or 8 mils of come up needed to shoot to 1000 yards. Most scopes I have my eye on still have more then enough to dial and make it that far even if you cut the elevation travel in half. Am I missing some other factors? I would like to have it set up to be able to dial to 1000 yards with out buying any extra after market rings or rails if possible was hoping someone with more experience or same rifle could explain if this is possible cheers.

Thanks!

Am I missing some other factors?
Not really. The thing is that scopes tend to drop off in image quality as you get to the extremes of their elevation/windage travel. So in this case a 20MOA base would just keep you closer to the optical center and give a better image on average.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi,

I am fairly new to shooting and mildly redacted. I have a sako s20 in 300 win mag and have read that because the integral rail on it does not have a 20 moa cant to it , that it is handicapped to shooting 600 yards max with most scopes because it cuts their dialing range in half ? With hornady 200gr eldx(@1000ft elevation) it shows 27.5 moa or 8 mils of come up needed to shoot to 1000 yards. Most scopes I have my eye on still have more then enough to dial and make it that far even if you cut the elevation travel in half. Am I missing some other factors? I would like to have it set up to be able to dial to 1000 yards with out buying any extra after market rings or rails if possible was hoping someone with more experience or same rifle could explain if this is possible cheers.

Thanks!
1) Run your dope for your bullet out to 1000 yards. Get the total adjustment in whatever your scope adjusts in.
2) Take the total travel and cut it in half.
3) Subtract the dope from the total travel. If it is positive, you can probably dial. If it is negative then you will have to dial and then hold the rest in the reticle.

(1/2 of scope travel) - (dope for 1000) =

Remember, you may lose or gain available elevation to dial because when you zero you will have to adjust for elevation.

If you buy a 34 or 35 mm scope tube, you will have more elevation in the turret.

Burris makes a set of rings with plastic inserts so you can add 10-20 MOA inside the rings, but that’s one possible point of failure.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
Not really. The thing is that scopes tend to drop off in image quality as you get to the extremes of their elevation/windage travel. So in this case a 20MOA base would just keep you closer to the optical center and give a better image on average.
thank you so it would mostly just be image quality that is affected or does the accuracy and consistancy for dialing also go down at the extreme limits?

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
1) Run your dope for your bullet out to 1000 yards. Get the total adjustment in whatever your scope adjusts in.
2) Take the total travel and cut it in half.
3) Subtract the dope from the total travel. If it is positive, you can probably dial. If it is negative then you will have to dial and then hold the rest in the reticle.

(1/2 of scope travel) - (dope for 1000) =

Remember, you may lose or gain available elevation to dial because when you zero you will have to adjust for elevation.

If you buy a 34 or 35 mm scope tube, you will have more elevation in the turret.

Burris makes a set of rings with plastic inserts so you can add 10-20 MOA inside the rings, but that’s one possible point of failure.
ty brother!

burris xtr signature rings have performed well for me during drop testing, with no detectable zero shift. they're the easiest way to put inclination on an S20.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
burris xtr signature rings have performed well for me during drop testing, with no detectable zero shift. they're the easiest way to put inclination on an S20.
ty man was coonsidering them but didnt wanna add another point of failure if avoidable, If I cant get away with out adding anything I will probably try those out , appreciate it.
PS what scope you running on yours?

my BIL has a swfa 5-20 in burris xtr signature rings on his s20. I have a tikka with a pic rail bonded on, same rings, same scope.