Rail for Tikka?

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Area 419 is about as profiled to the tikka action and as sleek as you can get. The machining is top notch. When I built my tikka up, I looked at a lot of options, and the 419 was the nicest at the time.

Dos XX

WKR
Nightforce ultra-light on 3 TIkka's here.

Farrell makes great stuff, too. Their bases are taller than most. It allows you to use shorter rings. Their rings are great as well.

Neither of these have recoil pins, which I don't mind.

Dobermann

WKR
Area 419 is about as profiled to the tikka action and as sleek as you can get. The machining is top notch. When I built my tikka up, I looked at a lot of options, and the 419 was the nicest at the time.
Thanks.

Can you tell us how long ago this was, and which ones you compared it to?

Spuhr has some insanely nice one-piece mounts for the Tikka integral rail; I have yet to see anything that would offer more secure and reliable solution.

Though personally, I'm still quite satisfied with the Sportsmatch two-piece rail mounts.

1673863142863.png

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

Can you tell us how long ago this was, and which ones you compared it to?
I was doing comparisons a couple years ago. I recall looking at mountain tactile and not being as impressed in the finishing/fit compared to the 419. Unfortunately I think 419 is a 20moa rail. Not sure if they make a 0moa rail at this point. You'd have to look on their site.

Dobermann

WKR
Spuhr has some insanely nice one-piece mounts for the Tikka integral rail; I have yet to see anything that would offer more secure and reliable solution.

Though personally, I'm still quite satisfied with the Sportsmatch two-piece rail mounts.

View attachment 502110
Yep, but the gap between rings is not large ... I posted some comparisons in another thread around here recently ... :)

Dobermann

WKR
I was doing comparisons a couple years ago. I recall looking at mountain tactile and not being as impressed in the finishing/fit compared to the 419. Unfortunately I think 419 is a 20moa rail. Not sure if they make a 0moa rail at this point. You'd have to look on their site.
No 0 MOAs listed, only 20s ... not that that's a bad thing, though ...

Dobermann

WKR
Thread update - I finally have a Mountain Tactical and Area 419 Tikka rail side-by-side. Just like their rings/bases, the Mountain Tactical just seems less refined - the edges on the Pic rail are sharper, and it just has a slightly clunky look and feel about it. The Area 419 is far more rounded off where it needs to be, but looks as if it is also 'cleaner' in design and execution.

On its own, the Mountain Tactical looks 'okay', but not much different to generic stuff one sees on gun shop racks. Next to the Area 419, it seems sloppy and rough. I have no idea if the tolerances are any different, or if one would actually notice anything in practice at all ... but on the basis of looks, finish, and attention to detail, the Area 419 is far ahead.

This might be mostly irrelevant, now that we have the UM rings: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/um-tikka-scope-rings.310275/ ... within the distances that most are hunting, with a modern scope, a 20 MOA rail is not necessarily needed ...

sndmn11

WKR
Thread update - I finally have a Mountain Tactical and Area 419 Tikka rail side-by-side. Just like their rings/bases, the Mountain Tactical just seems less refined - the edges on the Pic rail are sharper, and it just has a slightly clunky look and feel about it. The Area 419 is far more rounded off where it needs to be, but looks as if it is also 'cleaner' in design and execution.

On its own, the Mountain Tactical looks 'okay', but not much different to generic stuff one sees on gun shop racks. Next to the Area 419, it seems sloppy and rough. I have no idea if the tolerances are any different, or if one would actually notice anything in practice at all ... but on the basis of looks, finish, and attention to detail, the Area 419 is far ahead.

This might be mostly irrelevant, now that we have the UM rings: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/um-tikka-scope-rings.310275/ ... within the distances that most are hunting, with a modern scope, a 20 MOA rail is not necessarily needed ...

I've been tempted a few times to order this rail from Vision. I'm pretty sure it uses the Tikka integrated rail and has recoil pins.

Yep, but the gap between rings is not large ... I posted some comparisons in another thread around here recently ... :)
I'm really happy with the Spuhr mount for Tikka; even though the gap between rings isn't as wide as Tier One's, it gives you tons of fire-aft positioning flexibility due to having four options for placing the recoil pin.

It's barely any heavier than the separate Sportsmatch HTO73s — only 29 grams if I remember correctly, but I’ll have to double-check — and you can't beat a one-piece mount clamped directly to an integrated rail.

d0_sb4e495XKIQMaK2XLTPwoEux3cTyJiOnoFMUEnZxJ8AENeS9oxgjvOH3tBSvbPUkI3pEujJZwLI8F-K6mf_-Wf2jDcc1vbn1jKTfBTtXXSdxXe4716Q0XyylcsbW1hmkJ6hLMMdUlpiJ1y_UfdC1MlPXq9_RTewlmXoj2w4gLaMOau3pbuO9QtdOpWeE05_WSh5OBucUm2zaqK4OJ-JyA0e4ITOIFu5vi__Ium9roV-BYGnmhF0z7g3ksdIm5mWBYUdhGg_BLZCi1W3GYxo9SpoYZzpxTrBn11eUGiP0lT-X1NNnMj7J47kaN4A3c92wy5HxC4IVMLZqUB5vZCnSO2eZgA8qiN0ipfOjWOWxC30tVd7l0_z07FJGNuvzHQrvb2ml86_1P11YBY7uX63I46GtIFWlYfvhBbdS8d-5_7F66p13HyocnywpSoKIpsu17WYtWQEJxlCXgiZZ7ygR8LVeeTptk8wUN9gn4K6pNqJYvtaZhTAcNY6CH5d4ublUgBhC1T3tLzl2xZS88FpQuP6jgr3IWIScNpyBuM4xOiH8wGurCc8oLQsrfhiL_JJZLsFwpPt-HlXfV9TN1l_J-vYv_fTOaQmx0I8KWBKSn3lBHBwIehql6Ss5hYmCHvMO8H8ZPQYmFo-Alwm2Lqv90mOIp01abIA1e8ehDyQW-RtW_-gUB1ssJxEnkLODf6zE9mAtSiwnVRGk3yjAG2xBWzane0zR8r4dm-fYXuF9tbMpQ90rD2WpflSATWa-Zt2pEGC340VfIi6VSvlMry-mMeMDo28KQWs_E19d4tWtssxqjvfyvvomHY2zC4zfV4rytLBpKTjsfY0wHbr9YcTHMlcunTPbRL1MTxSawtTzPhxEERwsZ3Dl460UBXTByoHQ3HYppBVFYt5EZMQJt8xInGqkywnennokqMomC2eznG1DCT2Bm7THAWuNPzX3heXnDG6dYG-24482FRPU9Ok4=w438-h584-s-no

XGFsK-mb1Kqgam1FB3xAaaipd-Z3HwX9_ikiWagcAgggqZTEj7pRyiNfWrI6Z0m0u1VuAYui5xR0t8strKa-J7O9IZCy_PRQXy0Gk6kEVgFYzQcmN28dyw-MSksTlp8EOMjg03-D1IkIh73CJz3Y6llwz3kXN4vyVoA93JVAqadSEHa5_Dlx11eZ8n7h-H0-uHMXjOjybtBT6LWkhqhK3bT6O9gNKm0UDlXXMY4JtzvlZIzPPfytC_ExnpPWCzOK61RMrNDqmA8PJwSNPgC25VKA4mA-NYpNholvsP8EnlF_464bVDFMd_XFj_zHW4f3KOaWnS8wKAHkr_485lItWZ2Dhuvc68R0q97uFeZ6od3rolBTsIyGrH6JQxhG1rEP4kMz4rZlEHlu-haCIjUBglUpRYgcXxMtVayEIYrZ61HfOhL9jCmAUp_fO-8Cq_nH4qJGL2unfL83_a3G-FG1CxST_OllK37fwJfG_hN4E-HzSLRlK75C0RonjRKOtNCrei2rhsCW26qnIbpqAQD48qgapQ1UHokAvZoHONMB-JZmMDXBai0bXRkjTVdmzPk9nPcS8CERHzln1hRWUu4iUWPSS4w3pauaHb3RLpepHk1FnBopZSxWLiKpVjwqFTxq8JRcabRBqBbxT4XZzwJGS4GufnhYkme2jK3dPOh-mqAr2uK9kZRBzW8HcyhEwZjLWnigO_kF4dKFIulQlFDjI0z32_22ML8C-_1mp7iqDWjzRsNkk4tmACRXiPwGY2G7DzoxtB3rY8NaBMttnP32pbfyb5PO_0ElxhfuYffYokzi5B0qEOvObBdikEViHxJGHOQUiqGn34E8e61N4IPE-u7j7_K3eY_e_VR7OXe_hW36F9SlZ42lNCVjyoLipGNeNXrH8ULL0C3-ZcQWYFyih6aZ3ly6_n7hUQoTr9kfV8xAXhh56nm0v3nvfAzzm2_QcH76lrOLU4RKifV3fUkaIFk=w428-h584-s-no

Cool, nice to have some more options for direct-to-Tikka-rail mounting.

Lawnboi

WKR
I initially had a direct Spuhr 20moa mount. Caused FTEs on my left handed Tikka so switched to Area 419 20moa rail with ARC rings. I'm pretty happy. I would've preferred the Spuhr mount just because it's simpler as far as just mounting it up on the rifle goes; but ARC rings are pretty easy to setup and are pretty beefy.
Just to clarify in case others are wondering. This is a non issue on a right handed rifle. Atleast with standard size cartridges. I have not tried one on a magnum bolt face rifle.

Nice mounts, but heavy.

If I were buying a rail I’d find a ctr rail, and glue that sucker down with the pins in place like tikka does.

With the options out today I would never choose to use rings that only attach via the tiny screws, such as Hawkins or talley

Gila

WKR
Murphy Precision makes a perfect fit pic rail for the T3x. Fits both recoil lugs and all of the 5 screws? I was prepared to bed the rail but it fit so well, no gaps at all so I didn’t. I went with 20 MOA. I went with the SS but they make it in titanium though.

Wrongside

WKR

Your assessment pretty much lines up with my experience. Also worth noting- the Area419 is made from 7075.

Lawnboi

WKR
@Lawnboi: can you remind me - have you used the light/hunter Spuhrs at all, or just the heavy/'standard' ones?

The hunters still seem like a viable option for some ... for me, they're not widely spaced enough.
I still have 2 of the larger mounts, and have installed a few of the hunter models along with owning one for a while. They are all good mounts, but like any mount spacing can be a problem on long tubes.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more. The hunter mounts are a good value I think over a rail/rings combo, if it works for height and length.

Right now I have 2 nx8s in identical spuhr tikka mounts that get passed between 3 guns. They are a very repeatable mount on and off as well. I havnt had any issues with the mounts at all yet, and really like the built in bubble for rifles I’m carrying all the time.

I ended up buying an Area 419 for my 7 Rem Mag Tikka t3x. It may get rebarreled to 7PRC eventually. I have an MT on my 6.5cm Tikka and no complaints, I just wanted to try something else.

Last edited: