Rapid Raft or regular Packraft for creek crossing...

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I already have an Alpacka Mule that I use on trips around my area but i'm going on a bear hunt this spring and i'm worried about not being able to get across this certain creek. I would take it but it's almost 8 pounds. I'm thinking about getting a rapid raft from uncharted supply but i'm worried about how it would do in faster moving water. Has anyone used one of these in a similar situation?

I have checked them out before and its light and pacs down super small but it doesn't seem nearly as durable as my Alpacka.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Can you elaborate on what it is that you dont like about the Rapid Raft? Say, compared to a similar listed weight limit/denier in the Alpacka Caribou?
It’s just sort of a gimmicky thing that is sold by several companies with different names (ie: rapid raft). I wouldn’t expect it to hold much weight or last very long.

Mt Al

WKR
It’s just sort of a gimmicky thing that is sold by several companies with different names (ie: rapid raft). I wouldn’t expect it to hold much weight or last very long.

They're made with similar-to-Alpacka TPU coated nylon, not the urethane/vinyl fabric rafts that rip easily. Gimmicky? Have you handled one (honest question, not being a tool)?

They're designed for light weight/quick inflate to cross or fish from relatively calm water. They're not in the same class as Alpacka or Pristine Venture, not even close. Just different.

On "hold much weight" you're right. They're not made for a hunter, heavy pack and a boned out bear w/hide.

For the OP: IMHO take your Mule. A rapidraft is unlikely to carry you, your gear and a bear unless the water is very calm. Been in a similar situation and I packed my 2 person DIY packraft/pfd/paddle, crossed the river and left it on the other side in a safe place. Came back w/o a critter but glad I didn't hump it around the whole trip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They're made with similar-to-Alpacka TPU coated nylon, not the urethane/vinyl fabric rafts that rip easily. Gimmicky? Have you handled one (honest question, not being a tool)?

They're designed for light weight/quick inflate to cross or fish from relatively calm water. They're not in the same class as Alpacka or Pristine Venture, not even close. Just different.

On "hold much weight" you're right. They're not made for a hunter, heavy pack and a boned out bear w/hide.

For the OP: IMHO take your Mule. A rapidraft is unlikely to carry you, your gear and a bear unless the water is very calm. Been in a similar situation and I packed my 2 person DIY packraft/pfd/paddle, crossed the river and left it on the other side in a safe place. Came back w/o a critter but glad I didn't hump it around the whole trip.
Hi, yes I have handled one. I actually owned one for a short period of time. A guy I worked with bought one so we could access some pike fishing spots and I ended up with it when he moved down south.

For his uses it was a good, a cheap way to get across smaller lakes to go fishing. Like you mentioned though it’s not going to handle a hunter, pack and a hide or any amount of meat. If you were crossing short, flat stretches of water it could work.

I have a few alpaca rafts and a pr49, if I was looking to deal with any weight, my mule would be the minimum and I’d just hang it in a tree all packed up if I knew I wasn’t going to need it again until I got back to it.

I also have an alpacka scout which at the time was their lightest raft (they have the ghost now) and that’s a very cool piece of gear that would work for the OPs uses.

OP
RyanSeek43

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi, yes I have handled one. I actually owned one for a short period of time. A guy I worked with bought one so we could access some pike fishing spots and I ended up with it when he moved down south.

For his uses it was a good, a cheap way to get across smaller lakes to go fishing. Like you mentioned though it’s not going to handle a hunter, pack and a hide or any amount of meat. If you were crossing short, flat stretches of water it could work.

I have a few alpaca rafts and a pr49, if I was looking to deal with any weight, my mule would be the minimum and I’d just hang it in a tree all packed up if I knew I wasn’t going to need it again until I got back to it.

I also have an alpacka scout which at the time was their lightest raft (they have the ghost now) and that’s a very cool piece of gear that would work for the OPs uses.
Good to know. I honestly hadn't even thought about getting meat across. I think the mule is the way to go. for that reason.

Before they were chased out of their homeland the Nez Perce warriors would daily, even in winter, swim across the Wallowa River and back. To keep themselves 'hard,' I guess. Just a thought. You could run that new Seek Outside breathable breech cloth and air dry on the far bank.

So, with a raft like the Mule... is it too small to squeeze in two guys (just need to safely ferry someone across the river)? Or is something twice as heavy like the Forager going to be required?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So, with a raft like the Mule... is it too small to squeeze in two guys (just need to safely ferry someone across the river)? Or is something twice as heavy like the Forager going to be required?
A mule is too small really for me and my 80lb dog. I wouldn't try 2 people in it.