Real Life Slick Bag Reviews Anyone?

Let’s hear the good bad and ugly of the zero degree slickbag. And if there is no bad, that’s all good too.

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s hear the good bad and ugly of the zero degree slickbag. And if there is no bad, that’s all good too.

I know everyone loves them .... with that said I took there zero degree in to the back country in November and got pretty cold , even with a good pad and clothes on. I tend to sleep cold anyway but didn’t expect that . Temperatures dipped into the single digits that week. Just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth

WKR
I used the 20 on my sheep hunt last season. It was a very warm bag that I took into the low 20’s with zero issues. I did not really care for the cut of the bag. At the end of the day, I went back to down for better packing and weight savings.

Love my Slick Bag and own a 20* and 0*. Love the big cut since I’m not a small guy at 6’ and 240#. Plenty of room for me to move and around and sleep comfortably. Not as light or pack as small as down but I 100% confidence in it. Haven’t found a down side to mine yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have the 0* and 20* Slick and they are my favorite synthetic bags. I still use a down bag when backpacking and the weather looks dry but if it's looking wet, I am grabbing a Kifaru Slick bag.

I just bought a 20*. Hasnt arrived yet but what attracted me to it was (1) positive experiences with every piece of Kifaru kit and their service, including my woobie And (2) the fact that it was designed as a bomb proof all weather shelter for military users. When all else fails and you are cold and wet, climb in your bag. No doubt down will be lighter and pack smaller, so I will use down for temps below 20s, but for a trip where I know there is a high likelihood of rain or wet conditions, I prefer synthetic.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 0⁰. Biggest downside is the packing volume, it definitely takes up a lot of space compared to my down bags.

Upside is that is warm, bomb proof, and "breaths" well. I love not having to worry about it. I'm not easy on gear and frequently sleep with no tent/no pad. The Slick has held up great with no holes or cold nights. I typically sleep in a base layer but will throw on my puffy for cold nights. Have had it down to mid teens for temps.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
They are ok but I prefer down bag now.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk
Same. Western Mountaineering to be exact.
Mine is an older 20 degree slick and for me it is more of a 35 and warmer bag. I have the Regular/Wide size and like the fit. No complaints on the quality of construction.

Following this. I am / was a down quilt / bag guy, BUT I picked up a couple Slick bags to try this coming season. Reasoning is I tend to sweat at night and felt cold in down as the night went on. Hoping the synthetic bag will pull that moisture away better.

Definitely bomb proof and much bulkier, but willing to try if it gives me a better night sleep.

-dan

i like mine....mine is a 20* and at this point, if i need a bag for colder weather, i will probably get another slick bag (0*) i like not having to worry about it. yesterday morning i woke up pretty wet, but it wasn't until the alarm went off that i found out. i live in a wet environment, and i'm hard on stuff... it's bulkier and heavier than a good down bag, but life is full of compromise.... slick bag is a practical option for me.

i have had mine to 26* which gave me confidence it's a true 20* bag for me, because i was plenty warm, and wasn't wearing much clothes. i have some down jackets, and i know i don't like down in really wet conditions. just because it's a good choice for me doesn't mean it will be the best choice for you, but i like mine a lot, and have no plans of changing.... it does exactly as i ask.

when it was 26*, i had to unzip it a little because i was getting too warm around midnight, and woke up comfortable at 4am still.... i was also sleeping in the bed of my pickup which is colder than a shelter. it was also pretty easy to dry yesterday, which is confidence building.

i have slightly different needs than most in my sleep system, i am mostly in mild temps, and is catered to wet conditions. when it was cold last week, my pad had a 4 r-value, so i have some room to get colder temps out of my sleep system. i think i could go down to teens with a warmer pad and wearing some more clothes.

i think the slick bags are plenty accurate on their temp ratings