Realistic quality- unit 34 NM

Chris

FNG
For anyone that may have hunted here in the past few years, how was the trophy quality? Buddy and I drew 2nd archery, really got lucky after many years applying. I’m getting mixed intel, most saying 340+ is tricky to find and all the bigger bills hang on the Rez. Any previous tag holders, please pm or post your thought. Can reciprocate on several other states/species. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were hunting 34 I would shoot the fist 315-320 bull that gave me a shot. That said a 330-360+ is definitely possible. And never know with a good moisture year.

OP
Chris

Chris

FNG
JT- Agreed. I was just wondering if anyone whose been in there the past 3-4 years saw much bigger. I guided to the West on some private and it’s the only place I’ve seen a legit four hundo and multiple 350 plus bulls.

Felix40

WKR
We have a lot of 290-310” bulls. I would not be trying to hold out for a 350”. They are few and far between in my opinion. It should be a super fun hunt though. You could probably kill a bull with a pocket knife in september.

Brooks

WKR
34 and 36 have had so many bulls killed in the past 10 years the bulls aren’t getting a good chance to grow anymore . There are some decent bulls but it’s nowhere near what it was in the 90’s and early 2000’s . A 300” is a pretty good bull nowadays. I wish G&F would manage for trophy bulls ! Its been really dry so far this spring.

I've hunted and been with friends and called for them on half a dozen hunts. The best thing about 34 is shot opportunity. Whether cow or bull. The herd is healthy. That being said, 300+ bulls don't grow on trees. But there are a few. We did see 1 350ish bull this past October during my buddys muzzy hunt. He had about 40 other cows, spikes, raghorns and a few other satellites harassing the herd.

NUGGET

WKR
Good luck on your hunt! I think all the posts above did a great job of explaining unit 34

OP
Chris

Chris

FNG
Thanks for the input from everyone. Spot on from research I’ve been finding.

TheCougar

WKR
you’ll have to wade through a lot of 280 bulls to find one over 310. If you see a 320 or 330, I would shoot it no questions asked. There are some 350+ bulls in there, but you’ll be lucky to find one, let alone get an opportunity

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I hunted a WY unit 2 seasons ago & that was the same consensus there. You should shoot the 1st 310"-330" bull you come across as there were few. We decided to take the 1st 300"+ bull we called in. As luck would have it this bull (348") was the 1st bull in. You just never know; the same thing can happen in your NM hunt, stay positive & versatile, take what the area offers you!

ElkNutIMG_0932.JPG

OP
Chris

Chris

FNG
My Son & I hunted a WY unit 2 seasons ago & that was the same consensus there. You should shoot the 1st 310"-330" bull you come across as there were few. We decided to take the 1st 300"+ bull we called in. As luck would have it this bull (348") was the 1st bull in. You just never know; the same thing can happen in your NM hunt, stay positive & versatile, take what the area offers you!

ElkNutView attachment 181314

Great bull!
I’ve taken several 260-290 bulls now, and they still get me fired up. I’m just happy to get the opportunity to go hunt there and chase some bulls around.

wapitibob

WKR
Back when I hunted 34 on LO tags, the youth rifle season was in the peak of the rut and they shot the top end out of that unit in no time. Lots of crab claw 5's and 270 6x6's. It's coming back but they have a truck load of tags in there. The age class just isn't conducive for 350 bulls. A friend who lives there is a stone cold killer and he's not shooting 350 bulls.

Jacack

WKR
Hunted it two years ago. There are plenty of nice bulls. I spent the full 14days of the early season there camped out. I saw two legit
340+ plus bulls. One on the way in before season one on day 9. There is no shortage of 275-300 and plenty right around 300 and up. If you aren't seeing lots of elk, move areas.

Brix8984

WKR
I’ll be out there for the early archery. Pm if you want and I’ll be happy to share anything from my hunt.

Wapiti1

WKR
Unit 34 muzzy bull from 2015. Scored 312. I saw a lot of elk and passed several smaller bulls including a cool 5X5 with a second main beam. He was shot the next day, but man he would have been something if he lived to 7-8 years old. I heard the same thing from everyone that they just couldn't find a big bull. This guy was so pretty that I couldn't pass. There are big elk there, but they are hard to dig up.

I saw bigger bulls in lower country, but couldn't get to them due to private land. You have to go low to get to glassable country. The high stuff is timber with long meadows in the gulches. There are big guys there, but you either have to know where they are from scouting or bumble into them.

They were still bugling good during the muzzy season on Oct 17th when I shot this bull.

You will have a blast. There are a lot of elk there, and the action can be non-stop all day.

IMG_0022.JPG

Jeremy