Reccomendations on Stuff Sacks

Hi Guys,

Looking for recommendations on a stuff sack (or more than one) for the following use:

- 3-4 day hunts
- Mountain Hardware Lamina 0 bag
- Mountain Hardware Drifter 2/3 Tent (shared between 2/3 packs likely)
- Clothing and food for 3-4 days

I am running a MR NICE frame with my own load sling under everything and a Kifaru Scout acting as a compression panel and to hold the remainder of my gear not mentioned above.

I see the Kifaru Pods, the MOLLE Sleep System Carriers and the HPG C20M bags. Are there others to consider? How many cui are the pods? Any guess as to how much capacity I might need?

The Kifaru pods are not described in terms of size, but see very handy and perhaps enough attached to the Scout? The attachment system on these seems preferable to me over using a bag compressed under the Scout. . .

Thanks for any input guys and God bless!

Adam

Last edited:
In addition to Sea to Summit I would add OR and KUIU to your list to check out. Between the three you have a lot of options in regards to weight and style. Are you looking for "dry" stuff sacks or just stuff sacks?

ive played the stuff sack game a bunch and the one im happiest with by far is the kifaru 5 string. im currently using a med and it fits my rev x 20*long/wide quilt, neo air xlite reg pad, neo air med pillow and tarp tent squall 2 ( a fairly good sized 2 man tent). it fits easy, fast , compresses fully and literally unpacks in seconds. pop the strings and one pull gets my entire sleep system out. weighs 2.7 oz on my scale. pretty tough to beat a stuff sack with so many features at that weight.

My preferred method of packing is many "kits". They stuff easier, organize easier and weight and balance is to achieve easier.

I need to order a few more pouches but below is my principal.
Tent - 1 kit, Kifaru mega pouch
Socks/chonies - 1 kit, Kifaru medium
Puffy Pants/Puffy jacket - 1 kit, 8L silnylon
Fire starter - 1 kit Kifaru small
MISC stuff, batteries/SD cards, headlamp ETC 1 kit Kifaru medium or large.
Sleeping bag Kifaru 5 string stuff sack
Food - Silnylon 13/20L bag
Most of these bags are in the sub-ounce category.

You get the idear.

I bought a 3 pack of dry bags with hypalon closures at walmart for $4. Large size holds my entire kill kit including 5 pcs allen game bags.
A 19L and 25L with hypalon closure, seam taped for $10 and $13 respectively at Bimart.

I bought a 3 pack of dry bags with hypalon closures at walmart for $4. Large size holds my entire kill kit including 5 pcs allen game bags.
A 19L and 25L with hypalon closure, seam taped for $10 and $13 respectively at Bimart.

I used walmart bags 1 time.... buckle pulled away from material.. :(

I've been using the Walmart dry bags for five years or so and have had no problem with them at all.

I use dry bags for my sleeping bags and sleeping pads. Both mine and my wife's bags/pads go in to one dry bag. Another dry bag holds our clothes. And then use little 5 and 10 liter dry bags for other stuff like my Kill Kit/Ditty Bag is a Cuben 2 liter dry bag, 2 liter dry bag for our first aid kit. Used to go the zip lock route for years, but after having to dry stuff out after every wet trip cause they zip locks leaked we got dry bags.

I personally don't have much use for a stuff sack that isn't 100% waterproof. Stuff happens like falling in a creek while trying to cross and other such shenanigans that make having your bag and clothes in a dry bag a no brainer. That and a oversized drybag can be conformed to fit any shape in your pack, whereas a compressed stuff sack is a block of mass that will not conform to best fit the gaps in your pack making it less space efficient overall IMO with compression sacks.

Back