Reckoning Zipper?

Gumbo

WKR
I bought a Reckoning. The center zip still has the metal pull tab which I don't really like. Has anyone who owns the Reckoning cut those off and gone to P-cord? For some reason I'm hesitant to do it, why would Kifaru leave those on if they weren't important??

Thanks!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its probably a locking slider which uses the pull tab to retract the mechanism and release the slider, not sure if they work effectively with cord looped through in place of the metal pull tab.

jm1607

WKR
I've been wondering the same thing.. It is a locking slider but I don't know if putting a cord on it would effect the locking..

Let me know if you find out! lol

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
Still waiting for a response by someone who has done this...Maybe Aron will make an appearance and chime in. I haven't cut mine off yet and don't have the balls. I talked to someone at Kifaru (I think it was Frank) who said that Kifaru cuts off all of their metal pulls and didn't know how mine stayed on. He said it was likely a new sewer who didn't know to cut it off. BUT every Reckoning I've seen has the metal pull. I want first hand knowledge by someone who has done it before I break out the cutters.

Thanks!

Sitting next to mine right now and it has metal tabs. :(

e2775027bb2d4d218f9ac878bd8cfe69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its probably a locking slider which uses the pull tab to retract the mechanism and release the slider, not sure if they work effectively with cord looped through in place of the metal pull tab.

That is what I can see looking at one close up. The zipper does not move very well at all without the metal tab pushing up to release the locking mechanism.

Still waiting for a response by someone who has done this...
Thanks!

Why not do some of your own research and read this amazing article from YKK: http://hub.ykknorthamerica.com/ykk-knowledge-center/zippers-101-2

Then please let us know. My question is, why would you want to do this?

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
That is what I can see looking at one close up. The zipper does not move very well at all without the metal tab pushing up to release the locking mechanism.

Why not do some of your own research and read this amazing article from YKK: http://hub.ykknorthamerica.com/ykk-knowledge-center/zippers-101-2

Then please let us know. My question is, why would you want to do this?

Thanks...

The answer to your question should be self-evident. Why would I want a rattling zipper pull tab if I don't need it? I don't think reaching out for an answer from someone who might have done this is unreasonable.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So presuming you haven't got the answer already, I just tried this on a slider: If you cut off the tab and put a cord into the pull it slides in both directions fine when pulling on the cord, what doesn't function (unless a rather thin cord) is the locking mechanism to prevent it backing up in reverse. 275cord for instance is too thick to reliably lock up, needs to be thin like the metal bar that is part of the slider.

I just cut the tabs off my Reckoning bag and tied loops of BCY 24 d loop material in flo green. Works perfect and looks better than stock. And if I ever need to replace a d loop on a trip there’s enough material to tie one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For reference I believe the 275cord is 2mm and as noted sometimes locks up but most of the time is a tad too thick, the cord you mentioned I believe is 1.6mm? So that gives folks an idea of the cord diameter tipping point that allows it to lock up still.