REI Magma 10 sleeping bag

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone running one of these? It caught my eye and I was curious if anyone has any field time with this bag.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
I am. Great bag for the $.

I was thinking the same thing. I really want a WM Versalite but it’s like twice the price. Have you had the bag in temps below 20? The things I’ve read say the 10 degree rating is a stretch and it’s more like a 20 degree bag.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not as experienced as others with bags, but I like mine, especially for the price. IMO the REI co-op stuff is usually solid quality. I’ve had it on snow/ice and 20-25 degrees with no problems, but not colder than that yet. I sleep COLD so if I thought it were going to be around 10 or lower I’d supplement with a liner or something else.

bsnedeker

WKR
It is a solid option for those who want to support an anti 2A company.

And yes, I will continue to bring this up on every thread that mentions REI!

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up on sale right before Christmas, I think it was about 260 to my door. For the price I think it beats everything out there. To get a better bag (and there are better bags) the price curve starts trending up very quickly!

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider

I struggle with the same thing. They are hippy for sure. I haven’t given them my money yet.

bsnedeker

WKR
I didn't know that Bsnedeker. What would you consider a equivalent option from another company?
Yeah, they are blatant about trying to force their world view on us.

Right now I've got a fairly cheap bag, but looking hard at mountain hardware and enlightened equipment. I'll gladly pay more to avoid doing business with REI.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and used it for a 8 day August/September Colorado hunt, as well as random camping, hiking etc in the summer/early fall and it's been comfortable. I did find myself extremely cold on one occasion camping in Ohio where the temps dipped to 10-15 at night, I was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans, socks and beanie and was so cold I had to wrap another blanket around me. I also notice feathers sneak out of the bag on almost every occasion.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider

That's a bit of an overstatement in my opinion. REI responded to petitions brought to them by a huge swath of their customer base, and opted not to carry Vista Brands. I don't consider that to be shoving an agenda. Also, even though Vista is obviously pro 2A (which is good) they donate extensively with their PAC to folks that are decidedly ANTI public lands (which really pisses me off).

If you don't like REI for their stance on Vista, that's cool with me and I can respect it. But I just think their corporate decisions are more nuanced than just being anti 2A. But like I said, that's just my opinion. :beer:

Dzel777

FNG
Bummer to hear about Rei’s anti 2a stance..
I have been using this bag for two seasons. several back pack trips with it so far. 22* on a cot with no layering, not cold but not warm for sure!
I have done 20 degrees in a tent with pad and been toasty all night!
Very lightweight and very small packing bag.

RedFox67

FNG
If anyone wants to get rid of their REI gear because they hate guns or something, send it to my house. I might even cover the shipping ;)

Thanks to all for the comments on this bag; been trying to put together a sleep system as well.