Reload Chambering Issue

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You were thinking of the type s full length sizing die, not the type s neck sizing die.
Maybe a dumb question but why would somebody only want to resize the neck on a 30-06? Maybe I’m basic but I just can’t imagine a situation I’d want that.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a dumb question but why would somebody only want to resize the neck on a 30-06? Maybe I’m basic but I just can’t imagine a situation I’d want that.
I’ve heard a handful of justifications over my life. No clue how true any of this is.

some guys neck sized back in the day because working your brass last makes it last longer.

Some bench rest guys neck sized because your brass is fully expanded to your chamber and consistent from round to round.

Finally there are a lot of guys who only neck size after the first firing of new brass because it can take more than one firing for a piece of brass to form to the chamber. If you fire a new piece of brass that isn’t fully fire formed then bump the shoulders back 2 thou you are making inconsistent ammo.

Last edited:

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I am having an issue chambering reloads. This has not happened before so I am kinda of lost here. When I got to chamber a round I have to force the bolt down. It takes a moderate amount of force. Once fired it is extremely difficult to extract the case. The bolt lifts but it is impossible to pull bolt back and it takes me hitting the bolt handle back with something (rubber mallet for instance).

I have rechecked my notes by taking measurements again (this will be noted by 'CONFIRMED').
Springfield 30-06 (remington 700)

C.O.A.L. to lands: 3.440 CONFIRMED
My reloads are 3.428 (aka 3.430). This is a purposeful 0.010 off the lands.
My notes indicate this should result in a Case bottom to Ogive (CBTO) of 2.8135. My reloads measure a CBTO of 2.8130 CONFIRMED

I took one of the rounds that is being troublesome and ran it back through the seating die and move the bullet deeper into the case. This measured a CBTO of 2.719 and a COAL of 3.346 which well below my "to the lands" COAL measurement of 3.440. Tried to load this round, same issue.

At this point I grab a factory loaded hornady 178 gr eldX and it chambers and extracts just fine.

I measurement neck diameter of hornady factory load (.3325) and the neck diameter of one of my loaded reloads (.3355). My notes indicate my loaded neck diameter has been .335 and I am using a neck bushing of 0.333.

Below is a picture of the factory hornady round next to one of my reloads (lapua brass, 155 gr lapua scenar).

Any ideas?

Too add to this mystery, this was not a problem when I developed this load...
a6ef5a0aa27877aa26a22bcac7d8d293.jpg
You probably need to run your sizing die further down. If you use a headpspace comparator on your calipers you can track the movement. It is surprising how far you have to run down a sizing die sometimes.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
You probably need to run your sizing die further down. If you use a headpspace comparator on your calipers you can track the movement. It is surprising how far you have to run down a sizing die sometimes.
Check post 14. I figured it out once I realized I only had a neck sizing die (e.g., I wasn't sizing body at all or bumping shoulder back).

All is well now, and thanks for checking and and offering some help

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Check post 14. I figured it out once I realized I only had a neck sizing die (e.g., I wasn't sizing body at all or bumping shoulder back).

All is well now, and thanks for checking and and offering some help

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Awesome, glad you got it worked out!

Vern400

WKR
One idea goes like this.

When I start reloading a new batch of cartridges, I always chamber 5 to 10 pieces of resized brass to make sure the shoulder pushed back right. Of course I measure it first because that's how I set up the die. But when I'm on a hunt, the caliper reading doesn't matter. Shutting the bolt does.

I have two 308s that I reload for. Both are within specifications but they are 0.002 in different. And trust me when I say 0.002 over on headspace will require a claw hammer to close the bolt. I didn't even know my ammunition wasn't interchangeable until a friend mixed up my brass while we were shooting.

I could load everything for the shorter headspace at the cost of brass life.