Reload or factory ammo?

At this point in time factory ammo is pretty available (less so as we close in on the election) bulk 6.5 creedmoor, prc ammo is about 1.60 to 2.00 a round.

I reload all my ammo but with the significant increases in components cost including time I’m curious if anyone has changed from reloading to just buying quality factory ammo?

I’m considering grabbing a 6.5 prc barrel for my main rifle and just going the route of factory ammo. Potentially getting away from lesser factory supported ammo and going the factory route and just buying several cases at a time.

I have a ton of components but as we all know they are expendable and pricy at this point.

Let me know what you think and what you guys are doing.

What factory ammo is quality? I think it's tough to know, and it could change.

For example I notice a large difference between pre-COVID Hornady Precision Hunter 308 Win and post-COVID. I haven't tore up bullets to isolate the differences but they certainly shoot differently out of the same rifle for me.

I shoot both now, once it gets within 50 cent on a rifle round it’s hard for me to justify when I have 2 littles and a wife I’d rather spend time with

I’ve gone through a few cases of norma 6.5 creed and been happy with it, and my imi 5.56 77gr shoots great

Rich M

WKR
run the numbers - what's it cost you to reload? What's is cost for factory? What's your time worth? How much do you like loading?

I will buy ammo for one rifle - it is cheaper to buy target rounds than it is to load em. Then use the brass to load better ammo for hunting. Win-win.

If you can control yourself and think say 2,000 rounds would last you say 10 years, at $3,200 it might be a steal. Only you can say if that works or not.

OP
B
What factory ammo is quality? I think it's tough to know, and it could change.

For example I notice a large difference between pre-COVID Hornady Precision Hunter 308 Win and post-COVID. I haven't tore up bullets to isolate the differences but they certainly shoot differently out of the same rifle for me.
Now I haven’t shot a ton of factory ammo by any means. I’d say 97 percent of what I’m shot my entire life has been reloads. However, what have shot from the Hornady match ammo and the Berger ammo has been good. In my mind if I buy it by the case and just understand that my ES and SD will be larger and there could/will be velocity spreads from lot to lot I can control that. Plus at my hunting ranges (inside 700) the es and sd probably isn’t going to cause a miss. Human error will be the deciding factor. Even a changing zero from case to case (200rds typically) isn’t a big deal to me because I will just adjust and confirm at distance.

OP
B
run the numbers - what's it cost you to reload? What's is cost for factory? What's your time worth? How much do you like loading?

I will buy ammo for one rifle - it is cheaper to buy target rounds than it is to load em. Then use the brass to load better ammo for hunting. Win-win.

If you can control yourself and think say 2,000 rounds would last you say 10 years, at $3,200 it might be a steal. Only you can say if that works or not.
Running the numbers is what caused this question. For my 7 SAUM I can get 75ish rounds from a pound of powder ($50), 75 bullets ($57), 75 primers (7.50). That isn’t counting ADG brass which I bought at a premium mid COVID at 130 bucks per 50 ($520 total) or redding match dies.

so $1.52 per round not counting brass or time into it. Obviously 7 SAUM doesn’t have a ton of factory support so factory ammo for that doesn’t make sense but if I were to rebarrel to something easier to buy. My 6.5 creed is cheaper but not by a lot.

I’m thinking long term not necessarily short term. If I paused purchasing components and funneled that money into buying factory ammo while reloading for the time being the finacial cost would be higher but the time cost in the long run would be less.

Now I haven’t shot a ton of factory ammo by any means. I’d say 97 percent of what I’m shot my entire life has been reloads. However, what have shot from the Hornady match ammo and the Berger ammo has been good. In my mind if I buy it by the case and just understand that my ES and SD will be larger and there could/will be velocity spreads from lot to lot I can control that. Plus at my hunting ranges (inside 700) the es and sd probably isn’t going to cause a miss. Human error will be the deciding factor. Even a changing zero from case to case (200rds typically) isn’t a big deal to me because I will just adjust and confirm at distance.

The way you're proposing is probably the best for accuracy but carries the most financial risk. What if you buy a case and it shoots like donkey d? Sell it at a loss then?

I know the prevailing wisdom is, if you're shooting little, it makes sense to buy. But if you already have the reloading setup, I wager it makes even more sense to reload since time input is directly proportional to how much you shoot.

Anyway, I've thought about this a bit. If you're just shooting deer in state at 150 yards it probably doesn't matter much which you do.

hiker270

WKR
I reload for many of the rifle calibers I have, but on occasion if I find a factory round that is an under MOA shooter and is readily available I don't bother reloading. As stated on other posts the cost of components and limited availability of many powders and primers it's almost a wash whether to reload or shoot factory.

Since the age of 12 under my father's watchful guidance I started reloading for my hunting rifles. That's all I have shot in my rifles for all my hunting quests. I do not shoot factory ammo in my rifles and never have for target or game. I love reloading and yes it takes time, but it's like therapy to me. I enjoy it and enjoy the satisfaction of using it in my rifles shooting rounds I have carefully put together. It could cost more to reload and I would still do it.

Last edited:

mcdubbin

FNG
I'm considering a 6.5prc rifle but only if I'm going to reload for it. If I wasn't, and was only going to buy factory ammo, I'd just stick with what I've got now.

Rich M

WKR
Running the numbers is what caused this question. For my 7 SAUM I can get 75ish rounds from a pound of powder ($50), 75 bullets ($57), 75 primers (7.50). That isn’t counting ADG brass which I bought at a premium mid COVID at 130 bucks per 50 ($520 total) or redding match dies.

so $1.52 per round not counting brass or time into it. Obviously 7 SAUM doesn’t have a ton of factory support so factory ammo for that doesn’t make sense but if I were to rebarrel to something easier to buy. My 6.5 creed is cheaper but not by a lot.

I’m thinking long term not necessarily short term. If I paused purchasing components and funneled that money into buying factory ammo while reloading for the time being the finacial cost would be higher but the time cost in the long run would be less.
Ive done the same. Today’s prices are horrible.

Imo you gotta buy 500-1,000 round lots to make it worthwhile either way.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I do both. Some of my rifles shoot great with factory ammo and at that point I hope that I have a big stash of the same lot of the stuff it happens to like. Most of the time it doesn’t work out like that. Reloading is nice to fine tune and keep things consistent but I agree, components are getting expensive. It’s hard to weigh it all out.

Complete re-loader here, enjoy the process the re-search and the satisfaction of load development that delivers the accuracy I am after. No matter how you factor it shooting either factory or roll your own ammo its a expensive hobby especially if you shoot a lot.

Idk if reloading is really cheaper at this point. I do it for the fine tuning aspect. Tighter groups than factory once you find the load.

bpctcb

WKR
I used to reload all my own rifle ammo.
But I don’t have the time or reloading equipment set up these days.
It’s so nice just to go buy ELD-M ammo and go shoot. And it shoots damn good in my 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC rifle we have on the ranch.
My Defiance Ruckus arrives next week. I moved away from my old favorite 300 win mag and I’ve got two barrels ready to go for the Ruckus; a 7 PRC and a 300 PRC. I will run ELD-M ammo through them. If I don’t get satisfactory accuracy then I will set up the reloader.

Buy your 6.5 PRC barrel & ammo and go shoot.

BP

TaperPin

WKR
I used to tie flies - it was the only way to afford the variety and volume of flies normally fished with. Now that money isn’t as tight, the desire to tie just isn’t there. “Only the unmet need motivates,” may have some truth to it.

So far, putting loads together has been an interesting hobby in itself. One day I’ll be too old, or make too many mistakes, or just not enjoy it and all my gear will get passed to the next generation.

I've been moving to a lot more factory ammo. Have enough components for years of good ammo but time at the bench is a limiting factor. In certain cartridges (6 and 6.5 creed for example) there’s lots of good factory ammo and there’s always something on sale online. With a rifle that isn’t a picky bitch in these cartridges I’m not “tuning” my way into more hits with handloads.

TxLite

WKR
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve got enough supplies to last me a long time, but once those are gone I’m not sure if I will continue reloading. I really enjoy it and I love geeking out over the data, but powder has doubled in price and primers have tripled. Not to mention how much family time it takes away for the reloading process and then load development and verification.

I’m really considering switching to something with better factory ammo support and just dealing with the cost of factory ammo as a “convenience” cost