Reloading data 12ga

Macintosh

WKR
What are you trying to load, and what for? Steel, bismuth, tungsten? Waterfowl, turkeys, partridge, clays?

OP
ZKPete

ZKPete

FNG
What are you trying to load, and what for? Steel, bismuth, tungsten? Waterfowl, turkeys, partridge, clays?
That would have been great to put in the post. Sorry. I am looking for waterfowl loads.

Ballistic Products has a lot of waterfowl load data on their Load of the Week section https://www.ballisticproducts.com/enterload.htm
They sell all of the components listed in the load data.

Ballistic products is know to extrapolate data. Meaning they don't actually even put the loads together and test them, just think they know where pressure will be.

I'd be very careful using their information, seems like you can't get half their loads to even fit.

Reloading Specialty (RSI) and Precision Reloading have steel loading data.

Be very careful working with shotshell's if you are use to metallic. You don't work up loads, they are all relatively low pressure and you don't get pressure signs before it's dangerous. Don't substitute. Reload using trusted data and replicate exactly. Also be aware that older loading data using Steel powder are likely over pressure. Steel powder isn't always consistent from lot to lot and after the first few years of its production it seemed to get hotter. Check your loads with a chrono, if they are running faster than they are supposed to, you know they are higher pressure.

In my opinion it's hard to justify loading Steel in 12 ga. Or even 20. I load Steel for 10, because everyone makes those loads soft. 12, 20, and 28 I load heavier than lead stuff, or just buy Steel loads.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Ballistic products is know to extrapolate data. Meaning they don't actually even put the loads together and test them, just think they know where pressure will be.

I'd be very careful using their information, seems like you can't get half their loads to even fit.

Reloading Specialty (RSI) and Precision Reloading have steel loading data.

Be very careful working with shotshell's if you are use to metallic. You don't work up loads, they are all relatively low pressure and you don't get pressure signs before it's dangerous. Don't substitute. Reload using trusted data and replicate exactly. Also be aware that older loading data using Steel powder are likely over pressure. Steel powder isn't always consistent from lot to lot and after the first few years of its production it seemed to get hotter. Check your loads with a chrono, if they are running faster than they are supposed to, you know they are higher pressure.

In my opinion it's hard to justify loading Steel in 12 ga. Or even 20. I load Steel for 10, because everyone makes those loads soft. 12, 20, and 28 I load heavier than lead stuff, or just buy Steel loads.

I agree. I loaded steel shot for close to 10 years, but it really only made sense for the first 5. By the late 2000's steel shot factory loads were as effective as they ever will be, and prices too low to be competitive with reloads. 10 gauge as you say you can load for better performance, 16 gauge you can too.

I think it was about 2015 I started playing with bismuth shot. Before this I had tried tungsten based shots in factory loads, but the cost never has become reasonable to me. Even back then it was around $75 per box to load hevishot. Factory hevishot, the real stuff not the scam loads, was ballpark $50 for 10 rounds. I first bought my bismuth shot, and started playing with loads. I quickly found success, not just any success, but I absolutely blew steel shot out of the water. I started making my own bismuth shot, and did for a number of years, but it kind of died off for me as bismuth shot can be bought for a reasonable price now. At the time I bought 200 pounds of pure bismuth, and got a smoking deal on tin. Today I doubt you could find such a deal. It's not that hard of work making shot, but it does take up a weekend. Over the years Rotometals has both improved their process, and kept the cost of their shot just about the same. Even after 2020 crazy inflation, their prices today are only around $10 more a bag than they were in 2015 from what I remember. By comparison bismuth shot has never been cheaper, so it does not make sense to make it anymore. Ballistic Products also carries bismuth shot which is tin plated. Comparing them side by side I think the tin plating is a complete waste of time. I believe Rotometals makes the shot for BPI, and the shot roundness is the same for both plated or not. Patterns are unaffected. Prices are similar, so no real reason to shy away from the tin plated shot. Shipping is free from Rotometals, but if you are already placing a BPI order, it might make sense to buy their shot.

What I found with bismuth is that it is very similar to lead. What makes lead tick, also makes bismuth tick. That is moderate or low velocity and buffer being the two biggest factors to getting the tightest patterns you can. You can certainly use bismuth without buffer, I've even used a bunch of it in muzzleloaders, you simply won't get the tightest patterns you can that way. Forget all that 1350+ fps nonsense, that's just blowing money out the end of your barrel, and paying a second time with your shoulder. 1300 fps and under is your wheelhouse. Bismuth works great subsonic too if you are into suppressors. For shot size, I found 1 size up from lead provides about the same penetration. For example a #4 bismuth is about like a #5 lead both equal velocity. For ducks I find a #4 works best most of the time. I think a #5 could work good if you shoot mostly smaller ducks, or maybe small gauges like 28 gauge. Even a 20 gauge I think a #4 is better most of the time, again unless you are shooting mostly teal and woodies. I found no success with #6. It killed birds, but it runs out of penetration way before the pattern does. I do not count head shots as good hits, I only use shot size that will go through a breast and into organs. A #3 can also be a good choice if you are shooting some heavy 12 or 10 gauge loads where you can get enough pellet count for it to matter. My heavy 12 gauge load is 1 5/8oz shot, and I think #3 is a better option there. My typical 1 1/4 oz load #4 is the superior choice. In 10 gauge with the 2 ounce load, use #3 for sure.

Most of my best loads have come from Tom Rosters Buffered Lead and Bismuth loading manual, and his newer Advanced Lead and Bismuth loading manual. I also have found one or two really good ones from Lymans 5th edition shotshell manual. Ballistic Products is not what it used to be for data. They really started to decline fast in the mid 2000's, I'm not really sure what changed or why. They used to put out the greatest manuals. Today they aren't even worth being toilet paper. The last one I bought was their Advantages manual which should have most of their data in it. I don't think I've ever found a single objectively good load from that manual, most are poor at best, some are unusable, a couple are dangerous.

If you can be more specific, what shotgun, what kind of performance you want, what kind of waterfowl, etc. I can give you data, and a list of things to buy.

Last edited:

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
One last thing, don't bother with factory bismuth ammo. As of today, the only load I've seen that even stands a chance of being good is the Winchester load. Every other brand, including the often recommended Boss is trash compared to what you can make yourself. It's rare you see a factory Boss or Federal bismuth load shoot tighter than 70% at 40 yards with any choke, and it's often worse than that. One of my favorite 12 gauge handloads will pattern just over 90% at 40 yards. This is a purpose built long range load. There's nothing wrong with using bismuth for closer shots either, but doing it like Boss does is idiotic. You can do the same thing with way less velocity, and thus recoil. There does seem to be a practical limit on what you can get with bismuth because it isn't perfect, nor is it that dense. Bismuth shot today is basically like really poor quality lead shot. It's mostly round, and it's way denser than steel, but it is not a Lawrence lead shot.

When it comes to chokes, it's just like lead. Bismuth responds really well to choke. If you are trying to maximize your range, start at full. If you can, going even tighter works too. In my Benelli Nova I often used a .665" turkey choke tube. Most of what I shoot are fixed chokes, and I usually prefer a fixed full. My sxs muzzleloading shotgun has IC chokes, and it still patterns as tight as a Boss shell in a modern shotgun with full choke.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I agree that if you are only gonna load a case of steel shells, just buy em. If you shoot a couple cases a season, reloading might be justifiable.

We been reloading shotshells since the 80s. Was a different game back then. You could save money by reloading. These days the savings is minimal. Is kinda relaxing once you get into a groove and your crimps are coming out nice.

KurtR

WKR
I used to reload a lot with my dad for trap. Then we did a little steel but now I don’t see any advantages. Black cloud number 2 or boss 3/5 have been working good. Longest shot 40 yds with average being about 10-15.

JC_68Westy

FNG
Classified Approved
I agree with that it is not worth it if you only shoot a case or so. I load and shoot a lot, my latest obsession has been loading bismuth for waterfowl. I have also been loading steel/TSS duplex loads (not too many of these due to cost). You can definitely save money loading bismuth. As a matter of fact I just bought 4lbs of Alliant Steel from Ballistic Products, this is the first time in years that I have seen it in stock.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Volume of ammo does not matter. I crunched the numbers. The absolute best case scenario right now is you can load steel shot for about $15 a box. That's assuming you can get your hulls for free, and can buy your powder and primers locally. Once you throw shipping and hazmat fee in there, as well as hullbcost, no way you are loading steel for under $20 a box today unless you stockpiled years ago. You can find multiple options of steel shot factory loads for $20 a box, and you aren't going to out perform them with reloads.

Anyone have any good data for reloading 12ga lead free?
Well this is off topic, but I would like to buy your montana for sale. I have been a member on here for years and I have bought stuff off the classified I just dont post much and it wont let me message you. So if you see this I want it and my email is [email protected]. if not I will continue to do what needs to happen so I can message you. Not sure what that is!

If I was going to load non toxic for waterfowl it would be 1/2 ounce TSS .410 loads.

One last thing, don't bother with factory bismuth ammo. As of today, the only load I've seen that even stands a chance of being good is the Winchester load. Every other brand, including the often recommended Boss is trash compared to what you can make yourself. It's rare you see a factory Boss or Federal bismuth load shoot tighter than 70% at 40 yards with any choke, and it's often worse than that. One of my favorite 12 gauge handloads will pattern just over 90% at 40 yards. This is a purpose built long range load. There's nothing wrong with using bismuth for closer shots either, but doing it like Boss does is idiotic. You can do the same thing with way less velocity, and thus recoil. There does seem to be a practical limit on what you can get with bismuth because it isn't perfect, nor is it that dense. Bismuth shot today is basically like really poor quality lead shot. It's mostly round, and it's way denser than steel, but it is not a Lawrence lead shot.

When it comes to chokes, it's just like lead. Bismuth responds really well to choke. If you are trying to maximize your range, start at full. If you can, going even tighter works too. In my Benelli Nova I often used a .665" turkey choke tube. Most of what I shoot are fixed chokes, and I usually prefer a fixed full. My sxs muzzleloading shotgun has IC chokes, and it still patterns as tight as a Boss shell in a modern shotgun with full choke.
Could you share your favorite bismuth load? I’m thinking about hand loading my own bismuth for waterfowl, I’ve been disappointed with the performance of boss the past couple seasons. Anecdotal memory has me thinking the product was more lethal pre 2021 and I’d like to get back to that point.