Relocating bears

I hunted in a wilderness area in NM 2018. We were packing in for mule deer. I had a fun hunt even though I didn't tag out. While we were back in there I saw several bears, one large color phase cinnamon that I can't get out of my head. Of course I didn't buy the OTC bear tag before we left.

I've planned on going back in but I've drawn tags in a few other places, life has happened and I haven't been able to get back in there. It's looking like this is the year. I only have one tag and it won't interfere with the dates, I have a buddy wanting to go and I have the vacation.

The basin I saw the most activity in was a four or five year old burn at the time. I've never bear hunted before so I'm not sure if I should just go back to that exact basin I saw the most activity in or try a different basin close by. There were quite a bit of deer and elk in that area, so I'm not sure if that's what had them there or if bears keep a home range. There are other burns not far from that area that might be close to that same age now or at least not ten years old. What do you experienced bear hunters think?

dtrkyman

WKR
Not an experienced bear hunter but I see them often! I always find them eating acorns in the oak brush, if that particular area you saw them has oak brush bearing acorns I would sure think they would be there.

Problem possibly this year is we has a ton of snow and there may be more food available than normal and could have the bears spread out?

I think there will be some berries this year as well so it may just take more looking to find what food they are keyed on.

NM has a bear Biologist, I have contacted him in the past and he was helpful, forget his name but if you contact game and fish they will get you in touch with him.