Reluctantly Obliging Matt Rinella

Gobbler36

WKR
Yes to a lot of the points brought up here on delivery and rants, but he’s not wrong about much. jumping on saying if you buy certain clothing your bad is not going to get us anywhere with people but he’s still not wrong overall with his points.

Reactions: WKR

WKR

WKR
This doesn’t surprise me. When he was a guest on the meat eater podcast he was so rude to Steve . I actually felt bad.

And this is coming from the guy that’s generally annoyed 95% of the time with Steve interrupting everybody.

I could be totally wrong, but I really feel like he is jealous of Steve’s success, he is being contrarian because of it.
You're wrong

WKR

WKR
Please indulge me. It is a matter of opinion.
It is the complete ideological and philosophical differences when it comes to hunting. Nothing to do with jealousy. I dont like to speak for people but im absolutely sure if Steve was this successful in any other business ,there would be no rift between the two of them. Its the hunt quietly stuff, and Steve is the loudest one of them all.

Chuckybmd

WKR
At
It is the complete ideological and philosophical differences when it comes to hunting. Nothing to do with jealousy. I dont like to speak for people but im absolutely sure if Steve was this successful in any other business ,there would be no rift between the two of them. Its the hunt quietly stuff, and Steve is the loudest one of them all.
well said.

Reactions: WKR

Chuckybmd

WKR
I've talked to Matt extensively on this stuff - and it ain't jealousy. I would suggest sending an email and setting up a call or be on the podcast. It's pretty fun.
Good to know. Honestly, I don’t think my opinion matters that much, i’m sure he’s got better things to do than talk to me.

pugwylde

FNG
Enjoy it. They make fantastic gear. It's kind of the in thing to hate on Sitka and call those who wear it "fanboys." My loyalty starts with my wallet. I will buy what works for me. Having used several manufacturers, Sitka checks the most boxes for what I want in a hunting clothing line. But if someone else comes along and checks more, I'll jump ship in a second.
Agree to this. Lots of other companies make good stuff, but after running the gamut, I keep coming back. That said, I can also agree with a principled stand; just don't try to insult people into agreeing with you, you know?

Most guys that hate Sitka clothing have never worn it because they care what people think. I wear clothes from just about every one of the big name guys and some lesser known ones. Sitka fits me the best and some of their higher end gear has been really impressive in some nasty environments. I grin when I see man children care what other people think about their camo.

Diced

WKR
The whole "avoid the long range craze and keep shots under 500 yards" thing is pretty laughable. I get not wanting people to be sending bullets at animals farther than they should, but 500 yards certainly isn't irresponsible to anyone who practices regularly, has the right equipment, and is semi competent. Again, i understand what he's trying to do, but making a statement like that just rubs me the wrong way.

what a waste of server space. Who cares if he hates capitalism, let him buy Patagonia or REI they wont sponsor hunters.

Every hunting clothing mfg has a sponsor or affiliate program. Every Bow company etc also.

The argument of the new hunter complaining due to short films based in premium units or ranches is dumbest thing ever. You are going to have bigger problems in life if you cant handle mediocre success when you first start hunting.

HookUp

WKR
it's a chicken $hit move to throw out an ultimatum. Let people like what they like and be who they are. If I hung out with some and they said sell your sitka or we are done. I would keep my sitka and never talk to them again personally. Rinella is a fan boi in disguise dont kid youself.

woods89

WKR
The whole "avoid the long range craze and keep shots under 500 yards" thing is pretty laughable. I get not wanting people to be sending bullets at animals farther than they should, but 500 yards certainly isn't irresponsible to anyone who practices regularly, has the right equipment, and is semi competent. Again, i understand what he's trying to do, but making a statement like that just rubs me the wrong way.
But is it? The Cold bore challenge results have been interesting to watch.

I'd never rule it out for everyone, as I personally know people who are absolutely competent, but I think the bar is a lot higher than most think, in actual field conditions.

Edited to add- I guess technically I'd agree with your wording, it just seems like we tend to underestimate the effort needed to be competent above 500 yds.

Last edited:

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
I'll keep buying what works for me.

Are hunting grounds getting crowded? Sure, everyone is trying to shoot a spring bear these days. I'll take that over losing our privileges to the anti's one swipe at a time.
Interesting observation. I noticed most brands hitting the spring bear thing pretty hard, especially the bozeman based brands, but I felt like spring bear never really caught on. Idk why it isnt more popular.

Interesting observation. I noticed most brands hitting the spring bear thing pretty hard, especially the bozeman based brands, but I felt like spring bear never really caught on. Idk why it isnt more popular.
Easy. Black bear hunting from a side by side in the spring doesn’t work 99.9% of the time.